PDA

View Full Version : low ticking noise at high RPM...detination>?

s14unimog
09-07-2006, 08:42 PM
My Ka-t setup has been on my car 1 year November with no problems. Lately it seems if I'm next to something flat enough, like a car I'm passing, I hear a low ticking noise as I'm flooring it. Since I have never heard detination, I'm alittle concerned thats what it is. the car seems to have no problems other than the seals in the turbo are blowing oil after hard boosting. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be awesome.

Idea: could build up on the O2 sensor contribute?

thanks, Brandon

S13Koop
09-07-2006, 09:12 PM
My car did the same after I put a new manifold on.
Turned out to be a leaking ex. manifold gasket
The leak literally sounded like my engine was ticking.
S15 gasket fixed it

shayrgob240
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
My car did the same after I put a new manifold on.
Turned out to be a leaking ex. manifold gasket
The leak literally sounded like my engine was ticking.
S15 gasket fixed it

hmm, I would never think that it would be a gasket. lol

S13Koop
09-07-2006, 09:32 PM
me either
I was convinced my engine was ticking
I'd rev it up and it go away sometimes
Then later I looked closer and noticed black around the head and felt it leaking.

Ghostdrifter
09-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I just got my KA back and mine makes the same noise, I'm gonna retorque my header when I get back to NOLA and see if that's the prob

Ghostdrifter
09-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I just got my KA back and mine makes the same noise, I'm gonna retorque my header when I get back to NOLA and see if that's the prob

sw20>>s14
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
sometimes, a huge exhaust leak can sound like its ticking because you can actually hear the valves right above in the exhaust port resonating as you accelerate...but were talking about a huge leak on your exhaust mani...

other than that, some possible ideas could be:

-your timing chain guides could be on their way out or out all together...its been covered to death...

-your lifters being starved of oil...make sure your oil levels are up to spec...if it still persists...time to start considering a new head further down the road...

s14unimog
09-08-2006, 07:40 AM
could this be contributing from poor gas quality? I only put premium in but could I have gotten into a bad batch of premium? I figured I would go over my timing this week end and make sure all of that is in shape as well.