PDA

View Full Version : SR Cam Removal Help!

IketaniS13
09-07-2006, 10:18 AM
I am trying to take off my cams (following the S15 FSM) procedures. What size wrench or tool is used when taking off the camshafts. It looks like a 26mm open wrench and a 24mm socket but the head of the wrench will not into the space where the hexagon is on the cam.

How do you remove these suckers!!

Dont reply with "search" because I just did one

bardabe
09-07-2006, 10:51 AM
when I did my rebuild I had to use a 24mm socket for the bolt and a 1" wrench for the camshaft notice that the cam is not the same size on the whole hexagon thing. it goes in a sertain way. but you will see. its not hard ot remove. just wiggle the wrench on there. and then I would say the easiest way would be to impact the nut off. but if you don;t have access to one. then I suggest you give your friend a cheater bar to hold the cam inplace while you put your whole strength into that lil 24mm bolt.

HalveBlue
09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Trying inserting the wrench from an angle.

I know that on my blacktop the position of the cam and the wrench would work when I approached it from one side, but not the other.

But, when the camshaft rotated I was able to get the wrench to get a good grip from both sides.

So, just keep moving it around.

Once you have a good grip on the hex use a breaker bar to undo the bolt.

IketaniS13
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Ill try that. When I placed the head of the wrench on the camshaft it seemed ther wasnt enough clearance for the wrench to get a tight hold. Ill look at it more later.