PDA

View Full Version : KA-T breakin

csyharper
08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Allright I was wondering, if i have a built KA24DE soon to go turbo. Motor has new rods, pistons, bearings, oil pump, timing chain & its components, and port and polished head. Well I have been told to break it in n/a then after 3500 miles or so then go turbo, and on the other hand I have break it in turboed, if someone could, please help!!!!! :-/

mistaanime
08-31-2006, 10:50 PM
what kinda pistons..etc?

TheAznOne
08-31-2006, 10:52 PM
its actually better break in a motor N/A first. its just safer so you wont hit boost.

Paul Frank
09-01-2006, 06:23 AM
its actually better break in a motor N/A first. its just safer so you wont hit boost.

+1 - I don't know about 3500 miles, though. A grand should be good enough.

koukimonster139
09-01-2006, 06:57 AM
any new/ freshly built motor needs to be broken in, doing it NA is just better because when you break in an engine, you do it by not taching the bitch out in every gear and running hella boost like most built ka-t owners do.

anyway 1k miles is fine for breaking in a motor.

!Zar!
09-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Run non synthetic oil through the motor the first 1k miles. Then switch over to syn.

After the switch over to syn take another 500miles easy.

Change your oil, and check your plugs. Then have fun.

Glad to see that more people are going the ka-t route.

And even better to see people doing it propperly.

Good luck!

csyharper
09-01-2006, 02:34 PM
They are aries pistons with a 8.8:1 comp ratio bore +.020, AMS 240 Turbo Rods,CLevite Main and Rod bearings,Fel-pro gasket kit, ARP head studs.

trsilvias13
09-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I thought you suppose to break in a motor like you stole it. Put load on it so your rings would seal properly. Motoman theory?

nelson8708
09-01-2006, 03:14 PM
A friend broke his in with a turbo. But unless you have the power to resist boosting it is not a good idea to. I am going to break mine in with a turbo. With in a month i will put 1k miles on it by doing some interstate driving out of boost of course.

GlacierFreeze
09-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I thought you suppose to break in a motor like you stole it. Put load on it so your rings would seal properly. Motoman theory?

I hear drag racers do this. But for a street car, I wouldn't.

Irukandji
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM

Yeah saw that guy's webpage and what not. I'm still skeptical.

Dozens of people have told me to do 1000 easy vs "some guy on the internet" that says to give the engine hell.

trsilvias13
09-01-2006, 04:45 PM
My friends tried the engine hell treatment, compression is all good. Not just that they have more power coming from their engine than a lot of other people. Granted they are Honda people, but still compare to other Hondas out there, they make more. It could just be the tuning though.

When I build my motor, I will put not go easy on it and put lots of load on it. Running 5k+ rpm but decel all the way to idle. I will be breaking my motor in at night though to do this. It make sense to me to get everything sealed.

nissan_blood
09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda is deferent then nissan....2 defferent catagories.......hondas might not blow easy but they sound like crap after 2 weeks of running got to adjust your valves all the time or it will sound like a spoon bouncing arround in your head then you got to clean out the Vtec screen in the solinoid when you spray alot even a 25 shot. got a honda civic SI in my yard right now 95 hatch SOHC with a 100 shot and its a goner next week end gonna blow the top off it!! All them honda guys build them cars i find it funny to watch them pop and break axles tryin to race mustangs on PINKS....twice.......ouch......

drift into a curb
09-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Only reason is you don't want to break in your car with a shitty tune right after the rebuild with a ka-t. Break-in is most important for longevity and performance of your motor. So I'm in the same predicament. I'm going to run NA KA for the first 1000 miles after rebuild. I'm going to try the motoman break-in procedure. After that, I'll switch my ka-t stuff back in and start tuning.

specialk2003
09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Everything I have heard, you want to break it in with the boost so that the rings seat properly and are used to the boost.

!Zar!
09-04-2006, 03:01 AM
You don't want to break in a motor just by highway. It's not going to allow the motor to become use to a wide range of rpms.

Just drive the car with the turbo like normal around the city and highway.

My definition of normal is shifting at 3k.

You don't want to break it in hard, because the rings won't seat properly.