PDA

View Full Version : Car shakes hard at idle

IDriveFords
08-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Today as I was coming home I noticed at traffic lights my car is vibrating pretty hard at idle. My first notion was that the motor mounts are shot since the car has over 150k on it and they've never been changed. The problem with this theory is that when I got home and played with it for awhile it quit and the car seems normal now (the motor had alot of play at first). It was also making a faint clanking noise that sounded like it may have been coming from the exhaust, but that went away when it stopped acting up and I wasn't able to pinpoint it. I have some nismo motor mounts a friend gave me ages ago and I just never bothered to put them in becuz I planned on using their life for an SR swap. The problem disappeared and the car sits at idle like normal now. Any ideas/suggestions as to what it might be?

theswift.cc
08-31-2006, 12:08 PM
What engine do you have in it right now?
How many miles on it? What condition is it in?

Does the motor make any clicking/ticking sounds when driving? If so, your motor might be on the way out (somme bad piston slap?)

Fat Felix
08-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Prob should check trans. mount too.

koukimonster139
08-31-2006, 12:23 PM
what does it idle at warmed up? what did it idle at when it was vibrating? could be a number of things such as mounts, throw out bearing, engine bearings, crank.

could be the fact that you drive fords.

erom hcraes dluohs uoy

'90RPS13
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
I am having the samething happen. I think mine is the throwout bearing.

P.S. So your a asshat now Kouki? lol, j/k *a

punxva
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
yea u need to give us a little mnore information and background info, like did it start after something happened, or if it's always been there, and just gotten worse over time or what.

crazyikimasho
08-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I still think theres a good chance its motor mounts, could be in addition to other issues causing it to idle rougher at times (i.e. fuel injectors, IACV).

Paul Frank
09-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Same problem I have. I found out one of my fuel injectors were bad. A local tech told me once I replace it, replace the fuel filter, and get my injectors flushed, that my engine would stop shaking at low idles, along with some other problems I was having with my car. Everything is going to be done this weekend, so I'll update on that once its all done..

IDriveFords
09-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Ok I put the nismo mounts in but it didnt completely fix the problem. The car doesn't shake as much but I still get a very rough idle from time to time. The problem is quite strange becuz it only happens when im stopped at lights and it goes away after the car is given some gas for awhile. I'm thinking it may be clogged injectors, I replaced the fuel filter and put in some injector cleaner but its still doing it occasionally. The car is an automatic and the tranny has been acting kinda funny lately but I dont think thats the issue since it still shifts ok. Car has about 150k on it and its a bone stock KA. My snakehorse (mustang cobra) doesn't give me these problems, it just likes to eat batteries :D

IDriveFords
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
OK I have a more detailed description of the problem. I let the car sit overnight and cool off and tried to start it today when I got home. It cranked over then bogged down and died. After I heated it up a little the problem started to disappear but the car is still shaking hard at idle. I wanted to see if my injectors were gunked up, but I can't figure out how to get them out without breaking something (i took out the screws and they won't pop out). At this point I realize this rough idle could be many things such as a bad IACV, bad injectors or possibly a vacum leak. Any more input on this problem would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows how to pull the injectors without cracking them please enlighten me. Thnx

g6civcx
09-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Check your transmission mount.

Antone
10-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Im having the SAME exact problem.