PDA

View Full Version : do i have lsd?

waldo
08-30-2006, 02:24 PM
all along i've thought that i didn't because the vin doesn't reflect it and there is no orange sticker on the diff, but the other day i was doing some donuts for the hell of it and there were definately 2 distintive tire marks from beginning to end.

Sidewayzzz
08-30-2006, 02:27 PM
jack both tires off the ground, spin a tire .. look at the other tire

Are they both spinning? You have an LSD

One spins, other sits idly ... you do not have lsd

(search button is your friend!)

waldo
08-30-2006, 02:30 PM
on my friends s13 (which definately does not have lsd) if you spin one tire, the other spins also but in the opposite direction.

ManoNegra
08-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Have friend hold one tire tire. Try to spin the other. If it does then no vlsd for you.

BTW... all 240s have lsds.

kamikazeplus
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Have friend hold one tire tire. Try to spin the other. If it does then no vlsd for you.

BTW... all 240s have lsds.
you have no idea what you taking about.....

lsd came with 240 only with abs option, so if u have abs you have lsd....

if u wanna be sure lift the back of your car put it in neutral, turn one tire if the other spins in the same direction you have lsd, if spins in the opposite direction is an open diff.

Irukandji
08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
jack both tires off the ground, spin a tire .. look at the other tire

Are they both spinning? You have an LSD

One spins, other sits idly ... you do not have lsd

(search button is your friend!)

no, you're an idiot.

open diff: spin one tire, the other tire spins the other direction.

lsd: can't you tell by just driving it? honestly.

undesiredshoe
08-30-2006, 03:00 PM
i guess the only way you'll be 101% sure if you have lsd is if you put one in yourself

Irukandji
08-30-2006, 03:21 PM
i guess the only way you'll be 101% sure if you have lsd is if you put one in yourself

OR if you drive it. :duh:

ThatGuy
08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Can you smell colors? See scents? Do pictures in magazines come alive and carry on conversations with you? If so you have LSD.

If not, it's just a regular postage stamp, stop licking it and start searching Zilvia for information on Differentials. It's been covered many times.

Dousan_PG
08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
search please

ManoNegra
08-30-2006, 05:09 PM

if u wanna be sure lift the back of your car put it in neutral, turn one tire if the other spins in the same direction you have lsd, if spins in the opposite direction is an open diff.

And you need to realize that LSD and VLSD are two different things.
Again, ALL 240s have lsds... well technically open diffs.

NemeGuero
08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
hahaha postage stamp...

arminder_d
08-30-2006, 06:06 PM
In canada all 91+ 240sx's had VLSD. Now...easy way to check...

Hoist car into the air, start it up and put it in first gear and let off the clutch. Get out of the car and attempt to stop one tire. Use a rag so you dont hurt your hands. If you can stop the tire you dont have an LSD. If you have a lot of troulbe stopping it you have a viscous. If you cant stop it no matter how hard you try you have a mechanical.

Another way is that if you spin one wheel, both should spin in the same direction. This method doesnt always work because if you have a mechanical lsd with worn clutches itll give you a false idea.

brokeAs240sx
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
And you need to realize that LSD and VLSD are two different things.
Again, ALL 240s have lsds... well technically open diffs.

Sorry, but you're wrong...

Open Differential and Limited Slip Differential are two types of differentials; one is not a subset of the other.

VLSD is a type of LSD.

3 popular kinds of differentials: Open, Limited Slip, and Locking.

There is only one kind of LSD that employs partial open differential, and that's EDL, which is electronic traction controlled lsd's, like the one found in the Mercedes 320L.

What you meant to say is all 240's have differentials... which doesn't make much of a point.

reference: Types of Differentials (http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm) also HowStuffWorks.com.

BlazedGlory
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
just do the jack method... lift the rear... If you spin one tire the other one should spin in the same direction... If the other wheel doesn't spin (or if you can hold it still) or if it spins the opposite direction, you don't have lsd...

junks13
08-31-2006, 02:03 PM
weld it then youl have posi

trsilvias13
08-31-2006, 04:04 PM
do a few burn outs, look at floor. 1 line = need upgrade, 2 even line = good to go.

Realchaos1
08-31-2006, 04:22 PM
on my friends s13 (which definately does not have lsd) if you spin one tire, the other spins also but in the opposite direction.

Thats an open differential

if it has LSD, both tires spin the same direction

arminder_d
09-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Lol it's what i say. Trust me dude its a fail safe method....First try spinning the tires...if your not happy with the result hoist the car and put it in first and try to stop the tire. If you can stop it sorry bud no LSD. If i try stopping my nismo 2 way like that the tire tries to suck my arm into the wheel well.

redsuns3838
09-01-2006, 02:37 AM
ru kidding me? this is in techtalk?

anyways not all ABS 240s have LSD.

what is this? the false info thread??
and dont try putting hte car in first and gasing, then stopping it with ur hand. ur just gonna get hurt.

and learn to search, ur gonna get eaten alive on zilvia if u dont.

Rayne
09-01-2006, 03:23 AM

Actually....you are only partially correct yourself.

The hatchback 240sx was the only 240sx offered with the "Handling package" (ABS, Super Hicas, and VLSD) If someone has ABS it does not mean they automatically have a vlsd or hicas for that matter. If the car is a hatchback and has the super hicas system it might have a vlsd. The only ways to find out if you have a lsd or vlsd is to jack the rear up and spin one wheel if the other spins in the same direction.....lsd.

Since a vlsd locks the rear wheels when the gear oil has reached a particular temperature finding out if you have one requires something else. In most cases the pumpkin will have an orange sticker on it. Then again....spinning one wheel is not going to hurt anyone. The only other options are to figure out what came with the car in stock form.

As mentioned earlier the hicas system was only as an option for hatchbacks. If you have a hatchback....great! Look on the rear quarter panel near the door for the words "Super Hicas" printed on the black stripe that runs down the side of the car. If for some reason the black stripe is gone...look into the engine bay for two high pressure power steering return lines. If you have only one.....you don't have hicas. Next, check the brake master cylinder for two hardlines coming out of it. If you have three hard lines you don't have ABS. From there check the differential.

Then again.....you can go the easy route and look at the metal tag mounted on the firewall inside the engine bay. If you have hicas you will have a "K" in the model identification. (IE. RMKS13)

Anyway...if you have any questions feel free to ask.

drift freaq
09-01-2006, 11:05 AM
This thread is a fucking crack up. All this stuff is well documented in other area's of this forum. The amount of rumors, misinformation and lack of common sense, in this thread is amazing. hahhahahhahhahhahhaha

oh ya and if you have Super Hicas you will have a VLSD it was part of the package. I know I have owned more than one Super Hicas car.

arminder_d
09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
and dont try putting hte car in first and gasing, then stopping it with ur hand. ur just gonna get hurt.

This is an actual method to figure out what kind, if any, LSD you have. All the techs at the shop i work at do this and also my teacher from college taught me this. And maybe you should read my post carefully, i never said anything about 'gassing' it. Once your tires are in the air you can jsut let the clutch out in gear without even touching the throttle. The tires wont be spinning very fast at idle because the gear reduction is far too great. If you have an open diff its very easy to stop the tire and once the one tire is stopped the other tirw will take up all the power and be spinning at twice the rate of the other. A VLSD, if it is worn, can potentially let you hold the tire still, however, in working condition it will feel sort of springy (as if you can almost slow it down but it has just a bit too much grab). A mechanical you wont be able to stop.....if you do youll stall the car LOL! Also i mentioned to use your arm and a rag so you dont burn yourself when you first touch the tire.

!Zar!
09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I concur with Dave.

WTF is all this. It went from a thread that should've been locked to a thread that is full of misinformation.

I'll end this right now.

Open diff = one wheel will rotate the opposite direction.

Vlsd/1.5/2way = Both wheels move in the same direction.

Helical= When one wheel slips, the one with more traction gets more power.

LSD stands for lysergic acid diethylamide

But it also stands for LIMITED SLIP DIFFERINTAL

An open diff is not and will never be considered a LSD.

Learn how to fucking search.

And if you STILL don't know how to figure out what type of diff you have, drive to california, and I'll tell you for $50.

I request this thread be lockd for misinformation, and overall bs.
:lockd:

ThatGuy
09-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Request granted.