PDA

View Full Version : Thump! noise when turning steering wheel

komedy
08-29-2006, 10:24 AM
this just started happening.
when parked i turn the steering to my left, while turning it makes a thump noise one time. sounds like a bolt got loose. i straighten out steering wheel again and try turning it left, and again thump!. lol
im gonna jack up the car to see what it is, but can you guys give me ideas on what to look for. please try to be spacific because i do not know the suspension parts to well.

my guess is one bushing is decaying? and cause metal to hit metal when i turn.
im sure its a suspension problem on the front driver side.

sblack13
08-29-2006, 11:00 AM
my friend had the same problem, until i looked at it. He was missing a bolt on the steering column where it connects to the power steering rack.

komedy
08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
is it safe to drive with out it?

ramblux
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
If you have a headache too, it could be that you're leaning your head too much to the left when turning. Happens when people play GT4 too much.

Hope that helps.

Haha, j/k, yeah maybe check the bushings. I had a steering rack bushing get so worn out it actually fell out once.

skylinekin
08-29-2006, 01:20 PM
could be upper strut mount, might want to check that out.

Revhard_s14
08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Happens to my car too, when im backing out of the driveway and lock my steering wheel all the way to the right.

bill_willows
08-29-2006, 10:09 PM
PDM say "Front end clunking when you turn the corners ? Chances are, your front control arm ball joints or control arm bushings are totally worn out, causing the front arm to clunk, pop and move around excessively"

srs14
08-29-2006, 10:40 PM
mine does that while driving ,in both left and right. i have alot of play (side to side) in my struts. completely blown. also causes vibration in the steering wheel. plus my upper mounts are blown.

downshift_sideways
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Same here Happened to me, I tighetened the bolts on my strus, and on my rack.
Stopped for awhile, but came back

Kuzumi
08-29-2006, 11:11 PM
after i got my Freddy intake mannifold installed mine made a clunky sound when i turned it to the right; ended up being the stock mannifold brace hitting my steering arm. :Owned: