PDA

View Full Version : Car Wont Start Please Help!!!!!!

2_fast_240
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
I just dropped a 97 ka motor into my 91 240 the other day. i completly rebuilt it with 10.5 cr pistons. i also removed the emissions crap following the nico writeup. when i first tried to start it i sounded like shit just trying to start but wouldnt. then i realized i somehow managed to get the timing 180 deg. off:duh: . so i fix that problem and give it another shot. this time it sounded much better and i even heard a little exhaust while it was trying. it was like it wanted to start but just wouldnt quite fire up. i am pretty confident that its fine mechancally. if anyone has any ideas whats goin on here help me out PLEASE. it really sucks to drop 1500 bucks into a motor that wont start.

2_fast_240
08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
C'mon now, i kno someone has to have some ideas here. i kno its a pretty broad question that could be many diff. things. but i am kind of suspecting that it has somethin to do with the emissions removal. mabey i messed up somewhere. can anyone tell me somethin that could be easily messed up when doing this that could have caused it to not start

Irukandji
08-23-2006, 10:40 PM
check the distributor.

2_fast_240
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
well i had the distributer in my old motor and while it ran like shit, it would still start up. and i now kno for a fact that the initial timing is right

srs14
08-24-2006, 12:55 AM
do the usual checks, spark ,fuel , compression check, vacum leaks and then tell us what you got , no offense, it kinda hard to figure it out without info.

2_fast_240
08-24-2006, 11:31 AM
yea, i cant really do nething with it right now cause i just went to college, but i kno the car started with the old motor. the fuel system is the exact same except rebuilt injector. compression checked out alright. and of course its got new plugs.

leftyteck
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
kinda stupid question... but did you prime the oil system before you tried to start it?
did you let the fuel pump cycle a few times before you tried to start it?

pretty much what other dudes said.

2_fast_240
08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
yea, i wouldnt have done somethin that dumb

ThatGuy
08-24-2006, 03:26 PM
See, now when you ask a real question like this, you get help. But when you ask a dumb question like "Will an ITR wing fit my Fastback?" you are going to get flamed. Don't blame the forum. Look around a little more and decide what's worth asking, and what's worth just keeping to yourself.

punxva
08-24-2006, 09:12 PM
lol barry again adds salt to the wound, i love it, yea to check for spark just take one of the wires off and put either a tester on it or put it on the valve cover and see if its sparking, also check your fuses. Do you hear the fuel pump priming when the key is in the on position? if not then check that first, then check the plugs, and timing, as in base timing. Did u use the manifolds from the 97? i know there are a few parts that aren't compatible, but if u didnt switch any parts that might be the problem right there. Where u going to college? I'm up at VCU in Richmond, i could maybe check it out this weekend if u can figure out where we could meet.

2_fast_240
08-25-2006, 12:06 AM
yea i did use the manifolds from the 97 so that could be a problem. i read from somewhere on here that someone did the same thing and it fired up and idled fine. but there were 2 plugs from the wiring harness that didnt hook up to anything but im pretty sure they were part of the emissions system. the cel didnt stay on while i was cranking it over, but would the car have to be actually running for it to come on? im down here at VT in blacksburg but the car is back home in waynesboro(near charlottesville). i have no other car though so i couldnt really meet you even if it was close, but thanx for offering.

NIK90s13
08-25-2006, 06:41 AM
If everything else is ok, loosen the diss rotate both ways slowly wile trying to start the car, if it starts there you go, if not restab the diss one tooth left or right depending on where your timing lines up, you have to determin it. This was my problem, timing looked dead on for inital install, but no fire, we moved it one tooth and we were good from there.

punxva
08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
yep, timing will do that because if not mistaken

2_fast_240
08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
alright ill try moving it up or back a tooth cause ive already tried rotating it while trying to start and nothing happened

2_fast_240
09-04-2006, 08:55 PM
i know this is an old thread by now, but i figured id put in an update. i finally got my car started this past weekend when i went home. the first thing i did was hook up the fpr vaccum hose i stupidly left unhooked. then i cranked it and it started and sounded a little rough but i figured it was just burning the unburnt fuel in the cylinders cause it was getting a little better. then we noticed the headers had turned cherry red. imediatly shut it off. take off the cap and look at where the rotor is. deside it looked better moving it a tooth advanced. started it again and this time it purred like a kitten. we never could get the idle down to 700 rpms though so we just set the timing at 900rpms and figure if anything it would retard the timing and put it on the safe side. now the only problem is i found out i need a new master cylinder when we could never get all the air out of the clutch lines. this really sucks cause now i have to wait till i go home next weekend before i can drive it for the 1st time in 6 months. also the tach and temp. gauge werent working, so if anyone has any advice on that it would be great. the temp sensor (at least what i think is the temp. sensor) is hooked up. the temp sensor is my main concern since i dont want to blow it up the 1st time i take it out.

g6civcx
09-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Will an ITR wing fit my fastback?

Same comment for you as the poster in the other thread. Get a Nissan OEM master cylinder and Taka Motorsport clutch line that goes straight from the master cylinder to the slave/operating cylinder.

2_fast_240
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
well i already ordered the master cylinder, it was ready this morning but i had to go back to college. i see no reason for replacing the clutch line. i really wanted some help on why my tach and temp gauge arent working. mainly the temp gauge. does it have anything to do with the different years of the motor and car.