PDA

View Full Version : trying to pass smog help please!

lrgkevin
08-19-2006, 08:18 PM
ka24e stock motor: Ok so i've failed smog twice now and now i'm a little confused. My car is running super rich and I don't know why. My first thought was that it could be the o2 sensor. I changed it about a month ago because the wire was actually fried in half so the o2 sensor was not connected. Changed that and added a phat speaker wire to connect the o2 sensor to the existing wire. I thought that would be the problem but when testing the codes on the ecu it's only giving me a vss and egr code. I know the vss doesn't work cause the speedo doesn't work. I changed the egr system and it still throws that code. My friend was telling me about some safty mode that the car could be running in causing the car to run an open loop or somthing like that I didn't follow the reasoning totally so i'm not sure on that but I didn't think that the egr and vss would make the car run rich so if you guys could let me know why i'm so stupid that would be great.

Any help will be appriciated.

timtiminy
08-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Have you reset your ecu? i would try that out first if you havent.

buku_points
08-19-2006, 09:15 PM
give me 170 bucks and ill gurantee it too pass!

lrgkevin
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm going to try reseting it tomorow and see what's up.
I appriciate the offer on the smog pass but I would like to figure out why i'm getting 13 miles to the gallon too. I'm running so rich and it's making me so poor.

timtiminy
08-20-2006, 12:42 AM
have you checked coolant temperature sensor? i heard that being a culprit for bad gas mileage and loss of power.

lrgkevin
08-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Good idea. Where are is that located at?

LB.Motoring
08-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Red Plug

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/april04/240sx/images/dsc00048.jpg

you can see it peeking

no not the red battery terminal :keke:

see it, under the manifold :D GL Kiddo!

lrgkevin
08-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Cool thanks for the pics. I assume it's located in the same place for the sohc version too?

timtiminy
08-20-2006, 11:51 PM
yes right on the top of the intake manifold to the left of the powersteering pump, has a red plugh that is similar to the injector plugs. mine connection was all oxidized so i soaked it in vinegar, or you can use lemon juice, just something that will eat away the green oxidization cleaned the plug and sensor connections and CEL went away and no more problems, if you want to buy a new one there about $20-$30 and youll still have to clean the plug, just try cleaning it out good first. hopefully it works for you. let us know.

Blues13
08-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Just thought I'd mention that California has a program that if you fail your smog, they can help pay up to $500 in repairs. Maybe worth trying if things get expensive..

http://www.smogtips.com/test_only_eligible.cfm

lrgkevin
08-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys you have all been a great help.
I just reset my ecu and the check engine light hasn't come on for about a day.
I'm going to clean the ect anyway and get it smogged again. If all that fails I will look into that smog program.

Again thanks for all the help guys.

lrgkevin
08-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Update.

Ok I got a new ETS and it helps but the CEL is still on. I really need to find out how to fix the egr problem. I read something on the 240sx faq page but I seemed way to complicated. Could someone let me know how to test the EGR and or if that would cause bad gas milage?

Thanks again guys.

hybrid_eg
08-24-2006, 02:45 AM
man dont even bother fixing that pos motor.. smog that car "the other way" so you can register it and what not.. save up for a replacement motor and call it a day..

johngriff
08-24-2006, 03:40 AM
a common problem i have seen in the last year with the SOHC engines is Fuel Injector failure. Pull the injectors out of the manifold, leave them connected to the rail, click key into on, if they lead fuel out of the injector outlets, they have gone bad. Bad o rings also another possible culprit.

What is the Vacum reading at idle btw?

lrgkevin
08-26-2006, 10:42 PM
update: The car is idleing pretty rough right now. I actually got it smogged again after the ect and it was even worse then before. The car is just running super rich. The injectors sounds like that could be the cause of it but if the injectors went bad does that also mean that it's dumping to much fuel? Also I'm not sure how to check the vaccuum so if you could help me out with that too that would be cool. Thanks again

timtiminy
08-27-2006, 07:46 AM
injectors would cause extra fuel to be dumped into the cylinders, you say it is idling pretty badly, check the 3 vaccuum lines under the throttle body, that seems to be where most vaccuum leaks are on the sohc motors. good luck man i hope you can finally get this thing to pass

hazw8st
09-28-2006, 10:25 PM
give me 170 bucks and ill gurantee it too pass!

That is a wise alternative, however, smog exemption (no more smogs) is your best bet if you are planning on keeping the car.

240trooper
09-28-2006, 10:51 PM
i have the same problm failed smog twice an 89 , im lookn 4 a used ka that passes cali's smog

idlafie
10-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Use the SEARCH function here on Zilvia.net - when the page loads type in "smog" in the KEYWORD and "idlafie" under user. It will get you all the replies I've posted over the past several months on people asking how to correct their smog issues and pass their smog test.

This is just one of the links....

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=59074&highlight=smog

One of things I may have failed to mention is make sure the vacuum hose going to the EGR from the BPT valve is not cut, leaking or melted. That small 2-3 inch "L" shaped type hose usually breaks or melts after all those years of underhood temperatures. That's one of the reasons why most S13's fail smog.

It would help if you posted your smog check results so that way we can figure out what's causing you to fail. What are your actual HC readings, CO readings along with the NO readings in comparison to the maximum allowed??

Anyhow, good luck!!

ID

hazw8st
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
i have the same problm failed smog twice an 89 , im lookn 4 a used ka that passes cali's smog

There are other legal avenues available that will immediately solve your emissions woes.