PDA

View Full Version : strange clutch issues??

drifter808
08-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Just today when i was driving around, i had to make a versharp turn. Wheels were locked to the left. So i tried pulling out and i stalled out 3 times cause my clutch seemed to be slipping. Finnally pulled out and the car bucked and hopped and stayed at 500 rpms. I had to rev the engine to about 3000 just to move and pull out. So i parked for about a half hour and all i could smell was clutch when i first pulled up. So i tryed driving it again and it works fine now. The pedal is a bit softer but works alright.

Now about 6 months ago i had the engine apart and could see the clutch was getting worn a little bit. Since then i been doing hard driving and launches.

I searched some but no one had the same problems, if anyone knows what could of caused this please help me out. its also a sr20det w/stock clutch with mild bolt ons to the engine, and a welded Diff.

thanks, Derek

ricebike
08-18-2006, 10:50 AM
hmm, mebbe you glazed the clutch disc, just like you can glaze over brake pads when you exceed the material's temp ratings...

best thing to do; replace clutch, but if you're used to removing the tranny multiple times, you can just remove, inspect, sand the facings, clean w/ brake fluid, regrease the TO bearing, etc....

i guess you just needed to see someone confirm your guess as to why it's starting to slip on you...

I had to rev the engine to about 3000 just to move and pull out... all i could smell was clutch... could see the clutch was getting worn a little bit. Since then i been doing hard driving and launches.

drifter808
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
yeah thats what some other people were saying could of happened. thanks for the advice

ricebike
08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
np, i h8te u for being in one of the most beautiful places to live j/k :P

drifter808
08-18-2006, 06:37 PM
^haha yeah its pretty nice but when you've been here your whole life it really gets to be an island in the middle of nowhere. lol

Im gonna be ordering a new clutch as soon as i fix my car. It really f**ked up on me last night and had to tow it home. Spark issues not the clutch.