PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Bushing Hell

breakindrifts
08-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Ok, doing an engine swap and went through 2-3 bushings before I realized there was something jammed in the crank, Im guessing an auto pilot bushing. Removed that, cleaned out the crank, greased it, and now that I tapped in a new bushing it somehow constricts so tight that the alignment tool wont even fit. Im only hammering it in enough to be completly in the hole/flush.

This is the first time I have had such a problem with a stupid pilot bushing. Anyone know what would happen if I decide to not run one, and just pack the back of the crank full of grease?

95zilvia
08-17-2006, 03:14 AM
the clutch alignment tool doesn't fit the pilot bearing?
sounds like, ahem, SOUNDS LIKE you MAY have the wrong one or the other.

breakindrifts
08-17-2006, 03:20 AM
Heres the thing, I know I have the right allignment tool, and I have gone through 4 or 5 bushings. They all fit over the allignment tool, but once I tap them in, they either get destroyed, or constricted so tight that the alignment tool/spline wont fit.

shayrgob240
08-17-2006, 08:29 AM
I had to sand down my alignment tool to make it fit in the pilot bushing.

tiresmokes13
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
The hole for the automatic block is smaller...When you hammered in your 5 spd pilot bearing it crushed in. You need to remove it and drill out the block just a bit so it fits perfect.

Enjin
08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
hahahaha the same thing happened to me!

I modified my alignment tool. I wish I would have just left the old one in.

I went thru like 4 pilot bushings.

ManoNegra
08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
The hole for the automatic block is smaller...When you hammered in your 5 spd pilot bearing it crushed in. You need to remove it and drill out the block just a bit so it fits perfect.

This is the case for KAs I'm assuming. Is that also true of SRs?

NemeGuero
08-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I've never had that problem with mine.

You sure its clean inside of your block?

ManoNegra
08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
That's right, you did a 5 speed swap Neme correct?
Anyone know the size difference in KA vs SR bushings? Or are they the same?

NemeGuero
08-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Correct, and good point. Too bad I don't have the answer.. haha

ManoNegra
08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Reason I ask is that I'll be servicing (ooohh...dirty!) my clutch soon and was wondering if there was a cheaper option for a bushing than the $18 Phase charges for one.

NemeGuero
08-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Thread starter.. are you using an SR or KA pilot bushing?

xka24detx
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Thread starter.. are you using an SR or KA pilot bushing?
we are using a KA bushing, its my motor we are swaping, last night decided to just put alot of grease and see what would happen if we didnt put one, guess well find out when i get the motor dropped back in

NemeGuero
08-17-2006, 02:44 PM
NOOO, don't Not use one! You will destroy tranny/clutch!!

it aligns the spline..
Are you swapping in a KA? try cleaning the block, if you can get one in.. just shave down the alignment tool..

You NEED one of those bushings.

shayrgob240
08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
we are using a KA bushing, its my motor we are swaping, last night decided to just put alot of grease and see what would happen if we didnt put one, guess well find out when i get the motor dropped back in

DONT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

breakindrifts
08-17-2006, 11:02 PM
NOOO, don't Not use one! You will destroy tranny/clutch!!

it aligns the spline..
Are you swapping in a KA? try cleaning the block, if you can get one in.. just shave down the alignment tool..

You NEED one of those bushings.

The alignment tool is the same diameter as the spline on the transmission. If the alignment tool doesn't fit without shaving, the trans wont want to go in either right? :bash:

xka24detx
08-17-2006, 11:37 PM
okay guess going to have to take everything apark again, dont want to ruin the new tranny, going to have to order another bushing, pretty much bought each one in town. but yeah how does that work if the alignment tool doesnt go in, how will the tranny go in? they look like they same size around

NemeGuero
08-17-2006, 11:51 PM
possibly.. but the tranny spline just needs to seat on it.. Doesn't it taper?

I know its a bitch.. but.. try it?

OR!
try putting the bushing OVER the spline before you hoist up the tranny. if it fits on the tip like a condom.. you're good and just shave the tool.

wow.. that was full of goodness.