PDA

View Full Version : sludge in valve cover - what to do?

jmill0823
08-13-2006, 07:03 PM
what is the best way to clean an engine that has sludge build up? the engine flush at the parts store is not reccomended for turbo engines. I haven't had the car long and I plan to take better care of it and use synthetic oil, but I wanna get rid of this problem first.

thanks for any and all help.

-Jason :drool:

kandyflip445
08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Use a good synthetic oil and it will usually clear up. Just change it at closer intervals for awhile or just change the filter and top it of every 1500 miles untill the oil change. I used Redline oil for 2 oil changes at 10k intervals and the inside of the head looked CLEAN. It cleaned up all the varnish and everything. If you want a treatment try auto rx. http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html If you go to the FAQ and scroll down you will see "Bonus Offer Click Here" You can use the code for a $1 off a bottle.

Jung918
08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I am trying auto-rx at the moment. I have heard a lot of good reviews on it. I am still on the first bottle so I can't really give a review yet.

S13Eye
08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
It depends on how much sludge there is. Try what kandyflip445 mentioned, try one of those high mileage synthetic oils - they usually contain a lot of detergents. About 20miles before each oil change, pour some Sea Foam into the crankcase. Another good method is to use ATF. Your oil level should be between min and max on the dipstick. Top it off to Max with ATF, run the engine for 30 seconds, and leave the ATF in the crankcase overnight, then change the oil in the morning.

There is a point where your engine gets so sludged up, its beyond the point where it can still be cleaned. It would have to be rebuilt. Eventually the dirt will wear the bearing shells and the engine will fail. I will assume you have a 240SX and a KA, so remove the vapor separator, and PCV valve. Clean the vapor separator with brake cleaner until the fluid comes out clean, and replace the PCV. Sludge tends to clog the vapor separator.

jmill0823
08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks for all your help guys...

s13eye..sorry I should have specified. i have an SR20DET. the local japanese motor shop said they could clean it, so i figure it's not that bad, but id rather do it myself.