PDA

View Full Version : 3 burnt up ecu's WTF

zenki-217
08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
:hammer: Ok here is the scoop . I did a srs13 swap into a s14 . I had touge do the harness.. For a quick fix of the electric fan I plugged the wire in with the 12v source fuse for the cigar lighter.It worked fine numerous trips everywhere 4hour drives so on.. Well a couple of times the little 10amp fuse popped so I upped it to a 25amp.. Hour of driving later the car shuts off and the ecu is fired.. I put in a spare ecu I had and 2 blocks later its fired . I ordered a another ecu and removed the fire from the fuse I ran it to the battery with a inline fuse and a switch.. I drove 45mins to get my car back home . I pull in my drive which is a pain because of the drain dip and my 2-way. The car shuts off and this fuckng ecu is fired.. On all ecu it is the section where the 12v source for the ecu enters.. WTF I know there is probally a short somewhere now but where to start.. Where does the 12v to the ecu begin .. Oposing of the ecu..?

johngriff
08-13-2006, 06:46 PM
You will need to be more clear when posting.

Because of the nature of your settup (ie: S13 Engine into S14 Chassis), i would contact this person "touge" and have him fix your problem since he is RESPONSIBLE for the wiring.

You should also avoid wiring accesories into fuses. The fan should have come with instructions for wiring using a relay fuse and switch, google such installs, or take it to a certified tuner shop.

Common issues that warrant burnt up ecu's.

Cross'd wires on the MAF
Cross'd wires on the CAS
Cross'd ECU 12V Power and Ground.

This is not a definate diagnosis but the most common in my experience.

99% of the time USER ERROR

zenki-217
08-13-2006, 07:24 PM
You will need to be more clear when posting.

Because of the nature of your settup (ie: S13 Engine into S14 Chassis), i would contact this person "touge" and have him fix your problem since he is RESPONSIBLE for the wiring.

You should also avoid wiring accesories into fuses. The fan should have come with instructions for wiring using a relay fuse and switch, google such installs, or take it to a certified tuner shop.

Common issues that warrant burnt up ecu's.

Cross'd wires on the MAF
Cross'd wires on the CAS
Cross'd ECU 12V Power and Ground.

This is not a definate diagnosis but the most common in my experience.

99% of the time USER ERROR
The fan didnt come with any accessories. But the fan is wired correctly now.. To a switch with its own fuse.. " touge" - is a shop called Touge Factory in Chicago.

johngriff
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Because you said the car would drive for a little while before 86`ing the ecu, i am guessing it is a loose wire(s) that are grounding out against each other, as the vehicle is jumbled around, because when they cross, they cross bad and die instantly.

Take the car back to touge and have them diagnosis it, they should know their way around their own harness.

zenki-217
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Thats the problem they are like 3and half hours away.. I think IM gonna pull the harness back out of the car and look over the entire thing for burnt or bare spots in the wiring .Hopefully I can find the perp..
I noticed down by the ecu on the f3 plug the black wire with the red strip has a bare spot by the plug .. I havent had a chance really to look into the purpose of the wire but Its a possiblitly it could have sparked off the ecu casing... Thanks for the input ..