PDA

View Full Version : J30 VLSD Mounts (putting in an S13)

upSLIDEdown
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Ok, so my J30 VLSD has poly front mounts, but when I got the diff, it didn't come with the big plate washers for the bottom. Ended up with a pretty major issue, but the diff is out now and I see what's wrong. I need some sort of big plate washer for the bottom. The poly bushing goes in from the top, but when inserted, the bottom of the bushing (along with the inner metal sleeve) protrudes from the bottom of the diff flange by about 1/8". That's not normal...correct? The metal sleeve will bottom out again the bottom of the car, and the washer I need will tighten again the bottom of the sleeve. There will then be about 1/8" play in the diff mounts. Right? Someone give me some insight here. I'm kinda confused. I assume the big washer I need should catch on that metal sleeve, and not be bigger than the sleeve so the sleeve goes through the center of the washer, right? HELP?

trsilvias13
08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I never once had a problem install diff into the s13 or s14 chasis. I had s13 in s14 and the other way around, j30 into the s14 and s13, z32 into both as well. It pretty much a bolt on affair expect one where u get a big washer from any home depot / lowe or whatever hardware store for the two bolts near the driveshaft.

ManoNegra
08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm guessing you didn't get the bolts/washer/bushings with the J30 diff. Junkyard may have them. A friend just made aluminum washers/bushings and kept the S13 bolts. Worked fine.

upSLIDEdown
08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I thought about getting a friend of mine to CNC some bushings, but I already have the poly bushings. I just need to know if the bushing/sleeve normally sticks out the bottom of the flange, and whether the washer should catch the sleeve, or be bigger than the sleeve. I would think it should catch (butt against) the sleeve, but if so, shouldn't the sleeve be the same exact length as the flange is thick? Does any of this make any sense? I wish I had pics...GRRR.

ManoNegra
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM
lol.. sorry, I'm a visual learner. Pics would def help.

upSLIDEdown
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Here's a quick Paint sketch of what's happening... The bolt would be going up from the bottom, into the bottom of the car. That's where I need a big washer. Specs on Orion's page (ka24development.com) say the bolt needs to be 85mm long, and the washer 1.5" dia. But I'm still very unsure about the fact that the bushing/sleeve stick out below the diff flange...
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7199/diffflangeye2.png

projectRDM
08-10-2006, 04:17 PM
I've done a dozen of these, just use the OE washers. The washer will bottom out against the sleeve, but the gap provided will not affect the bushing's movement at all. Up top, the rubber washer will seat the diff correctly against the chassis.
You're just over thinking it.

upSLIDEdown
08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I've done a dozen of these, just use the OE washers. The washer will bottom out against the sleeve, but the gap provided will not affect the bushing's movement at all. Up top, the rubber washer will seat the diff correctly against the chassis.
You're just over thinking it.

That's the problem. I don't have any OE washers. I didn't get them when the guy sold me the diff. Only the mounts. But if the washer bottoms out on the sleeve, then there will be 1/8" of play in the front mounts. What if I used washers with an ID big enough to go over the sleeve, that way I cound take up the slack with them and when I tightened the bolts, they would squish, or preload if you will, the poly bushings...

MOUNTAINGARAGE
08-10-2006, 08:07 PM
time to go to the Depot. measure the center sleeve outside diameter, and as long as the "big washer" will fit over that you are good to go. I only have a lowes and they have 'em. works better with washers imo.

projectRDM
08-10-2006, 09:26 PM
That's the problem. I don't have any OE washers. I didn't get them when the guy sold me the diff. Only the mounts. But if the washer bottoms out on the sleeve, then there will be 1/8" of play in the front mounts. What if I used washers with an ID big enough to go over the sleeve, that way I cound take up the slack with them and when I tightened the bolts, they would squish, or preload if you will, the poly bushings...

I can send you some, but any decent hardware store will have them too.
As far as the gap, the sleeve is pressed into the bushing, it's not going to move around if the bushing isn't bottomed out. It's fine.