PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning Question

Ad-Rok
08-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,

I have an S13 Silvia I bought with the AC compressor taken out for the SR20DET swap, and it's hot here in DC so I want to put it back in. I need a condenser and have searched and found a couple options:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8042571669&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=330006796869&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Do you guys know if either of these condensers will fit it without a problem after the SR swap?

I'm also going to do the Koyo radiator/Flex-a-Lite fans install, and have a Greddy FMIC, and I don't even know where the compressor and condenser will fit. Any help appreciated.

Best,
Adam

koukimonster139
08-08-2006, 10:13 AM
the compressor goes on the engine and the condenser goes in between the IC and the radiator...any condensor will work as long as it fits, just make custom lines if u have to.

bshotts
08-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Try to find an OEM S13 condenser to avoid fitment problems...this way you know it was engineered to fit your radiator support. The condenser is almost always mounted in front of the radiator btw.

As far as compressors go, you should try to find one for the engine setup you already have, i.e. compressor with bracket for Redtop SR20DET or compressor with bracket for S14 SR20DET etc. If I remember right, you may be able to use the KA24DE A/C mounting bracket but one or more of the bolt holes might be misaligned, which is why I recommended using the OEM brackets. When you mount the A/C compressor on the engine (get a copy of the FSM for guidance on installation/placement if confused), you will need an A/C V-belt, and will also need to get a custom fabricated hardline going from the evaporator to the compressor.

Also, search for the wiring schematic on Zilvia as there is an extensive write up on that.

Ad-Rok
08-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks so much for the thoughtful comments.

Bshotts or anyone: do you have any idea where I might source an OEM S13 condenser and V-belt? I'm at a loss in my searches so far which is why I turned up the eBay 240sx (probably KA-sized?) compressor replacements.

Also, forgot to mention that I do have a compressor and mounting bracket from seller, and apparently it was mounted on a blown SR20DET before. Any way I could tell if it was from a stock SR20DET or KA? Would it matter?

I'm looking through the FSM now to try and figure out fitment. If I could just source these parts properly...thanks for the help guys keep it coming...

Love this forum. :-)

-Adam

bshotts
08-08-2006, 11:45 AM
If you are close to a NAPA parts distributor, I would check them first as they almost ALWAYS have the part I'm looking for, or can get it shipped in rather quickly. It looks like you have found a good source on eBay for OEM style replacement condensers that I assume are a proper fit. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a genuine Nissan part as all the condenser does is cool the refrigerant via heat transfer with no moving mechanical parts.

Another thing, bookmark this thread... http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=62607&highlight=sr20det+part+numbers... that has an EXTENSIVE list of interchangable Nissan part numbers and there you can find the A/C compressor V-belt part number.

Ad-Rok
08-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Thread bookmarked, that's great.

I ordered the 240sx OEM replacement Condenser from Aircoparts. Looking for a v-belt source now.

With my existing bracket and condenser, I suppose all I need now is for someone to fab up a hard line for me and charge the AC once it's in.

Thanks again,
Adam