PDA

View Full Version : solved one problem now another..

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 12:45 AM
okay i posted need help my car wont start this weekend cause my car would crank but wouldnt turn on well it was some wieres that i all ready fixed, so i got the car to turn on right well woopie :sadwavey: cause it started to idel high around 1,500 so i turned the idel down to 1,100 thats the lowest it would let me i let it warm up then went around the block to test it and it ran good...
then i try to turn it on an hour later it turns on but its ideling high again around 1,200 and the engine is shaking and when i gas it it kinda struggles and the exhuast sounds wierd ass hell does not sound like normal at all i tryed to drive it just around the corner and it drives but NO power and it sounds like shit and the whole engine and tranny moves ... :hug: so yeah any ideas guys???? any help would be great;)

(i have an sr20 red top)

DJPimpFlex
08-08-2006, 12:51 AM
It sounds like your missing on one or more cylinders. Check your spark plugs and make sure there not fouled. Check for the normals (spark, compression gas) and go from there. Check codes too.

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 12:54 AM
im not the smartest tool in the shed lol i dont know how to check for codes or do a compression usually i take it to the shop but this time im trying to do it on my own i dont feel like paying someone else to do these things and me not learning so yeah any help or advise on how would be great thanx!

DJPimpFlex
08-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Checking codes = http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=89512&highlight=checking+codes

Compression testing: Go to kragen and get a compression tester. Unplug the coil packs so the car wont start and take out one of the spark plugs and screw in the compression tester. Turn the car over 6-10 times and see the readings. Repeat on the next 3 cylinders. Check FSM and see what the compression numbers should be, I dont know them off hand.

After that if there are any problems with the compression numbers do a leak down test to see more closely if anything is wrong.

smily_vigor
08-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Also it sounds like your ignition timing might be off. You can get a pretty cheap timing light and check the mark on the main pulley

blu808
08-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Does it rev past 3k? Or does it just go brap brap brap?

Also did your ecu throw any codes?

Could be a tps adjustment. Thats what i would bet. Unless you are lighting hookers on fire with your exhaust. Then you might just have another problem.

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Also it sounds like your ignition timing might be off. You can get a pretty cheap timing light and check the mark on the main pulley
okay the main pulley of course is right in front of the engine but one i get that timing light .. how do i check it for 1 and 2 if it is off what to do how do i fix it?
(sorry for all the :newbie: questions) but this is my actuall first ingine working on so yeah some help from u guys is great ... by the way thanx so far .... i though i was gonna get flammed right from the strat :coold:

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Does it rev past 3k? Or does it just go brap brap brap?

Also did your ecu throw any codes?

Could be a tps adjustment. Thats what i would bet. Unless you are lighting hookers on fire with your exhaust. Then you might just have another problem.
okay yeah it revs past 3K but it does do that brap brap thing ill take a video so guys can see better ....
and codes im bearly learning how to check so will see

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
okay dammmmmmm that timing light thing was expensive!!!!!! the cheapest one was around $70 and there good one was $100 .... when he said get a cheap one i though u meant under $20 ... but yeah i didnt buy it i only got the the compresion tester ... so yeah
hehe i called in sick to work on my car ....

ManoNegra
08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Timing Light and Compressor Tester are good things to own but I think Autozone lets you borrow them. If you are into buying your own stuff then acquaint yourself with Harbor Freight.
Get the FSM for your car too and study it.

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 12:10 PM
okay im working on the car right now and so far the compression is 135 135 125 125 ... that isnt good is it??? also is there a certain way to do it??? i heard something about u need to have wide open throtell what does that mean how do u do that?? cause all i did was of course take off the spark plugs screw the tester in and crank it around 6-9 times so yeah so far those are the numbers they suck i know does it mean my engine is worth less?
can anyone find me a site that i can get into for the codes???... this one didnt work
http://www.emergent.com.au/200sx/ecucodes.html

ledzeppelin240
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
To do a compression test:

-WOT while cranking
-All spark plugs out
-Crank though atleast 4 compression strokes
-Preferably a warm engine...

Those numbers seem a little low so try the above way and then see what you get.

DJ_Sunrise
08-08-2006, 01:37 PM
i had that stumbling too. it was in the middle of me driving. when i got home, i realized only one cylinder was firing. the other three were disconnected. i have a video if anyone wants, lol. check that your spark plugs are firing, and even CONNECTED. then check the order on the distributor, its written out. whats the order on the cylinders again 1-3-2-4, right guys? i cant remember :) good luck. btw, disconnect battery, pump brakes 5 times, reconnect battery and see if it helps. and fill up on some 93 octane from sunoco when u do this. good gas always helps :)

-Bart

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 01:48 PM
okay just did the above and these were the results 135 135 138 138 .....
okay this is the video i mentioned i was gonna post okay this is how my exhause suppose to sound http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/th_MVI_9460.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/?action=view&current=MVI_9460.flv) and this is how it sounds now ...
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/th_MVI_1873.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/?action=view&current=MVI_1873.flv)

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 01:53 PM
i had that stumbling too. it was in the middle of me driving. when i got home, i realized only one cylinder was firing. the other three were disconnected. i have a video if anyone wants, lol. check that your spark plugs are firing, and even CONNECTED. then check the order on the distributor, its written out. whats the order on the cylinders again 1-3-2-4, right guys? i cant remember :) good luck. btw, disconnect battery, pump brakes 5 times, reconnect battery and see if it helps. and fill up on some 93 octane from sunoco when u do this. good gas always helps :)

-Bart

yeah video ....... would be cool

xcye12
08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
To do a compression test:

-WOT while cranking
-All spark plugs out
-Crank though atleast 4 compression strokes
-Preferably a warm engine...

Those numbers seem a little low so try the above way and then see what you get.

One more point:
- Unplug your crank position senser or Unplug your fuel bump fuse, so injectors will not pour fuel into the cylinders. Otherwise, you will get low compression.

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
^ huh i have to it again....... fuck lol o well ... hopefulyy i get a lil higher numbers like that .... hey the fuel pump fuse is with one exactly

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
also this wierd sound happends ever since yesterday once i turn off the car (only sometimes) http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/th_MVI_1879.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/?action=view&current=MVI_1879.flv)
and does anyone know what number my ecu suppose to have??

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
this is my ecu ... personally i never seen it til today and once again i see what that shop did wrong well at leats i think is wrong if u guys look closely some of the wieres are just disconected and not taped so i think that is gonna ruin things in the long run or something maybe its not it right now cause as i mentioned Iv never touched it or seen it til today so yeah what do u guys think ... http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/IMG_1874-1.jpg

better pic
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/fuckedupwiering.jpg

ledzeppelin240
08-08-2006, 02:52 PM
When you go WOT while cranking a fuel injected car it cuts the fuel off, so just unplug the crank sensor or power to the coils...

trybal
08-08-2006, 03:03 PM
sounds like maybe a boost leak...

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
a boos leak huh???? u think so?????? cause last time i took it to the shop they said i hade 2 one in my bov and one in my vacume lines but they didnt fix them they said theyd fix it when id go back however i never went back so they never got fixed by any chance do u know what i need to make a boot leak think to but in the intake??? while im doing all this i might as well replace whatever hose it is

also can someone tell me were the crank sensor is at ??? or should i just disconect the fuel pump sensor

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 04:20 PM
okay i did a compresion test again and the numbers are ....
150 152 149 147 ... also i found out what was making that wierd noise in one of the videos above its the green one on the left what is it could that be my problem??? why is it rattleing
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/IMG_1880.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/Studgus/IMG_1881.jpg

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 05:31 PM
oka i dont know if i checked for codes right well what i did was took the ecu faced the lil red light towards me screwed the screw clockwise while the key was in the on possision then once it stopped turned it right after about 3-5 seconds then the red light started to flash then i chcked the enging light for blinks and no blinks at all ... so what now???

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-08-2006, 11:47 PM
okay guys i spoke 2 a gu at G demension in fullerton he said it was gonna be my wiering harness so i pulled it out and took to em cause i was mad my car just all of a sudden didnt start at all no crank nothing at all my radio didnt even want to turn on but my lights did so yeah they recommended getting a new one it wold be cheaper then trying to fix my old one so i say okay id go back tomorrow so then ...... at of no were i start thinking its not the harness because when i got home i turned the key to roll the car to the side off the drive way and once i took the keys off the lights in side like the brake light and stuff like that stayed on like before when i was having problems with my car ... and i though it was the wiering harness but now since i saw that i dont think that was it i think its an electrical problem in the car what do u guys think??? do u guys think that an electricall problem aside from the harness would provoke all of this ...??... come on guys help me out

DJPimpFlex
08-09-2006, 12:12 AM
I think you have a shit load of problems that are all culminating in all of this BS. Replace that relay, fix your wiring, and get back to us.

bongnak
08-10-2006, 01:45 AM
what was your first porblem? i'll try to help. it kinda sounds like a leaky injector. did u change injectors? if you did check your lower o-rings; the smaller one. DId you swap the injector connectors on accident? and that green thingy is the relay. its like a switch, its for the egi pump iirc. check your grounds. that might lead to the clicking sound from the relay. i went through a whole lot of shit like this on both my cars and trust me its good that things like this happens...you learn so dont get mad fix it.

SiI40sx
08-10-2006, 04:15 AM
i had that buzzing sound from a relay once too i dont kno what it was but when i replaced the alternator with a new one it went away, the power / rev is either a spark problem or a fuel problem, Ill see if i can go tomorrow Ill hit u up

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-10-2006, 08:31 AM
^ okay just give me a call im free in the morning mainly but just give me a call today to see what time u wanna swing by ..

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-10-2006, 08:33 AM
what was your first porblem? i'll try to help. it kinda sounds like a leaky injector. did u change injectors? if you did check your lower o-rings; the smaller one. DId you swap the injector connectors on accident? and that green thingy is the relay. its like a switch, its for the egi pump iirc. check your grounds. that might lead to the clicking sound from the relay. i went through a whole lot of shit like this on both my cars and trust me its good that things like this happens...you learn so dont get mad fix it.
yeah im gonna put my wiering harness in right now and see what i can do to make it run again ... hey since you'v had this problem before if its not too much to ask and ur not besy tomorrow maybe u can swing by and give me a hand :goyou: lmk

bongnak
08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
yeah im gonna put my wiering harness in right now and see what i can do to make it run again ... hey since you'v had this problem before if its not too much to ask and ur not besy tomorrow maybe u can swing by and give me a hand :goyou: lmk
yeah ill try to stop by and help. just to let you know im the type of guy who takes time doing things so if all else fails im gonna tell you to completely open up your harness and check for open wires. but yeah give me a call i might be free tomorrow. 562-291-9642

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-10-2006, 10:33 PM
^^^^ ill call ya
k well sil40 recomended a battery i was thinking i might be the battery so i changed the battery put in my dads battery from his jeep cause i dont have jumper cables and the car cranked now and the radio stud on but it didnt turn on but see at least we got a crank going on .. so hes thinking its my alternator... what do u guys think??? and also were can i get one for an sr???? if id go to kragen what kind can i ask for?? lmk guys

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
okay i bough a new battery but nope it doesnt turn on it cranks the fpr turns on everything turns on but no luck getting it to turn on

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-12-2006, 01:36 PM
okay im outa ideas........ yesterday we did everything basickly...
changed ecu's
shanged ignitor chip
spark plugs
i all ready did a compresion test 150 all across basickly
no codes on ecu
i have gas..
changed the battery cause i needed a new one ..

then i pulled out the whole harness last night stripped everything down checked for loose wieres any touching eachother ... and found some about 2 either dissconected or just loose so i fixed em took me about 3hrs and today i put everything back in i plugged everything in and now the fuel pump doesnt turn on theres no fuel going in at all ...... i checked all the fuses and there all good ... at the beggining the fuse above the fuel pump one was burnt so i replaced it.
But anyways what do u guys thing now????
whats next??

1. i need the fuel pump to turn on
and
2.????? how???
any help would be great thanx guys

DJPimpFlex
08-12-2006, 07:25 PM
does everything else turn on? Cause you can just wire up the fuel pump to a switch and use it as a kill switch and an easy fix to a problem.

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-12-2006, 07:33 PM
yeah everything else turned on well i got the fuel pump to turn on everything is turning on but the engine now... it cranks and everything what now?? i have no clue iv done practickly everything i could what can u guys suggest??

bongnak
08-12-2006, 11:01 PM
damn gus it still doesnt start? how about the crank angle sensor? can you borrow one? download the zeroyon fsm and check it with the volt meter. i think theres an easy way to test it... pull out the cas with it plugged, turn the ignition to the on position, and turn the cas by hand and see if you can hear the injectors open, something like that... you should be able to hear a faint sound of the injectors squirting into the manifold.... do that and if not do it the proper way.

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-12-2006, 11:18 PM
honestly bro i have no idea what ur talking about or how to do whatever u just said .... im bearly learning so yeah........ but yeah im sad =-( lol

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
ok so i sprayed starter fluid in the TB and it started for about 10 seconds so now i know for a fact its a fuel problem but yeah what to do now??? fuel pump turns on .... and i doubt all the injectors went out so do u guys think its the conectors? what can i do to fix that?

ledzeppelin240
08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
If you had noid lights you could see if the injectors are being pulsed. Get a fuel pressure test gauge on there would also help, but I don't know if you have access to either of those?

I was just going to suggest starter fluid but you have already done that. The CAS is a hall effect type sensor is it not? So you really can't turn it by hand (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Id RaThEr DrIfT
08-13-2006, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=ledzeppelin240]. Get a fuel pressure test gauge QUOTE] is that the same as a fuel pressure gauge ??? cause if so i have one on the car all ready so yeah

steve shadows
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
could be anything man, give me some money to check it out and ill make the drive out to see it. Still sounds like a type of wiring issue.

ledzeppelin240
08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah, as long as you can read fuel pressure...