PDA

View Full Version : ?????

02-17-2002, 11:30 PM
okay, here's the deal,
WHY WONT A SR20DET pass emmissions when the
SENTRA se-R has the SR20DE in it,
the only Differences are that its FWD, and no Turbo,
so why cant we have the SR20DET in our cars DAMNIT
(IF you KNow why, i would really like to know)

(Edited by Bladen at 11:32 pm on Feb. 17, 2002)

AceInHole
02-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Who says an SR20DET won't pass emissions?? It's more of CARB legality IIRC....  if anything, inspections is what you should be worried about.  If you think about it..... a turbocharged KA would be illegal (in cali).
I'd wonder though... since MotoRex imports it legally, wouldn't the Skyline's RB26DETT be a legal motor to swap??

SaintlyCharBoy
02-17-2002, 11:44 PM
for those of us who do not happen to live in CA, the EPA still regulates which engines are "kosher"

no stamp on the epa list, no go ... anywhere

this absolutely sucks, because in many cases a turbo helps emiaaions, saab, for example uses a low psi turbo on all of their engines to increase burn efficiency and emissions

grrrrrrrrrrr damned bureaucracy

DuffMan
02-18-2002, 04:00 AM
Technically, the SR is illegal in any state, because there is a federal law that says that all engine swaps must follow these rules:

1: The engine must come from a car of equla or later year

2: The engine must come from a car, not a truck.

3: The engine must be certified for sale in the US. This means the engine ITSELF, not just the engine type. If the  numbers on your block don't match up with the database of engines sold in the US by nissan, you're car is not street legal in the US.

Obviously it's #3 that the SR has problems with. It has absolutely nothing to do with emissions. SR's can pass sniffer tests with ease, even with the egr system disabled.

In most states, it's not an issue because they don't look under your hood, so as long as you're clean you're okay. S14's might have a problem if your state wants to do an OBD check though.

luey02
02-18-2002, 08:12 AM
just wondering, if you dont pass inspection, you dont get a new sticker right?  Can the cops even check for it?  And waht's the penalty for driving without inspection?  

not that i'm doing it...