PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Interlock, Nuetral Switch, and Reverse Switch.

Nismo240SX
08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
first off... if anyone of you say search, i will drive to your house and punch you in the face. just kidding, but not really ;). anywho i have a 1990 auto to 5spd sr20 car, and i need pics or help with a 1989 or 1990 240 reverse switch, nuetral switch, and clutch interlock. i will gladly send paypal to anyone that helps me. thank you.

Xren17
08-03-2006, 01:53 AM
What do you need help with? If you have the tranny harness then it's pretty much plug and play.

SiI40sx
08-03-2006, 04:26 AM
straight from heavythrottle

"In the engine bay, coming out of the bottom of the S13 fusebox is a pair of thick wires with a single oval grey plug. Usually wire colors are black w/ yellow stripe and white. Connect these 2 thick wires together to bypass the starter interlock."

S14DB
08-03-2006, 05:23 AM
All you need is the Reverse light. the other 2 you can just hot wire.

Nismo240SX
08-03-2006, 11:14 AM
lets just put it this way... i had heavy throttle do my harness. there are four wires that are to be wired to the side of the pass. side fuse box. two wires are green and green/white, and the other two are black and black/green. do any one have pics where they go on a 89-90 model? thanks.

g6civcx
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
All you had to do was search for the clutch interlock: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=106125&highlight=interlock

crazyikimasho
08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h238/crazyikimasho4/S13transmission.jpg

32006M: neutral position switch
32006V: overdrive position (AT only)
32005: reverse switch
32006: 5th gear switch

Hope that helps. Clutch interlock switch is under the dash.

Indolent
08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
yeah, i've done my auto - manual conversion, i've tried using a complete manual 5 speed lower harness, my reverse lights don't work, i tried connecting just the reverse switch from the harness, no luck, using the 5 speed lower harness off the same year i still have some plugs left unplugged or no plugs to plug them into

i'd like to know as well on how to wire up the reverse lights (ka24de)

but the only thing i've actually done is just splicing the thick gauged wires so i could start my car, didn't wire up the neutral ablahblahblahbla

Nismo240SX
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
96civcx, if you read the link you posted... that car is already a 5spd car. but back on topic... i have the clutch interlock jumpered. i need to figure out those four wires

g6civcx
08-03-2006, 02:02 PM
96civcx, if you read the link you posted... that car is already a 5spd car. but back on topic... i have the clutch interlock jumpered. i need to figure out those four wires

You may want to look through the link. It contains wiring diagram of the whole starter and interlock system. All you need to do is bypass the clutch interlock system completely and send the start signal straight from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

I give up. Just wait until Russ gets in here. He'll definitely help you.

The best thing you can do is go through #1 in my sig and figure it out yourself. You should also contact the person who did the wiring harness to see where those wires are supposed to go, or you can follow the wires yourself and see where they connect to.

Also consult HT's FAQ: http://srownersclub.com/faq/index.asp

projectRDM
08-03-2006, 04:24 PM
My name is called, and I cometh.

First off, using a 5spd lower harness is a waste of time. The wiring needed for the transmisison sensors isn't found in the car, so you're plugging into a dead connector. Secondly, the clutch interlock relay is also known as the starter relay, big blue action beside the battery that we all know about. This of course is only found on manual cars, again an auto chassis will not be prewired for it. Neutral switch, same thing, an auto chassis doesn't have a neutral input to the ECU.

Adding these things, besides reverse lights, would require a full addition of these wires within the chassis and they're not needed for any purpose anyway, unless you're the type of person who insists on having a clutch switch to start the car to prevent accidental rolling. The only thing you need is reverse, which is found right at the fusebox, green and black wires in the brown plug.

Nismo240SX
08-03-2006, 11:21 PM
i did infact have the wrong plug jumpered on the clutch interlock... i decided to double check everything... and i did find the wrong plug jumpered.

r240na, you've been the biggest help upon the reverse switch... so the nuetral switch is not needed if i don't mind not clutching it to start it?

projectRDM
08-04-2006, 08:23 AM
The neutral switch is not needed for anything. All it does is signal a manual ECU that the transmission is in neutral. Does not affect starting, engine operation, idle, anything. An auto car doesn't even have any sort of input. You're confusing it with a neutral safety switch, which on some cars like Hondas won't allow the car to start in gear. Nissan does not use that type of setup.
Also, you mention you had the clutch interlock wired wrong, you DO NOT HAVE a clutch interlock since the chassis was originally automatic. The large 2pin plug that needs to be bypassed for starting is the starter inhibit, completely different setup, that is standard on auto cars. A clutch interlock would mean you have a clutch, you did not originally so again it's not prewired for it. The clutch interlock is engaged through a relay, the starter inhibit is simply a 2pole switch. Not the same thing.

g6civcx
08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Makes you wonder why Nissan ever bothered with the neutral switch.

Nismo240SX
08-04-2006, 08:48 AM
well, technicly speaking... the car is a 5spd... and needs a completed circuit for it to start... thus making it the ghetto rigged clutch interlock

g6civcx
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
For those who don't have a strong command of the English language (nobody here of course, we all have perfect spelling and grammar):

interlock: noun - to connect so that the motion or operation of any part is constrained by another

starter clutch interlock = the motion or operation of the starter is constrained by the clutch, i.e. the starter will not engage UNLESS the clutch is disengaged by means of depressing the clutch pedal.

By bypassing the interlock circuitry as I showed you in the link, the interlock is removed. The ignition switch is connected directly to the starter solenoid. The interlock is not "ghetto rigged"; it's completely removed.

The reason I posted this is to describe what the industry standard is with regards to the definition of an "interlock". So if you did in fact removed your interlock, you can use the correct industry terminology to talk to your mechanic. Otherwise, if you tell your mechanic that you ghetto rigged an interlock when you actually removed it, you'll get charged for the time spent looking for something that's not there. The industry standard for lectrical work is roughly $60 per hour until the problem is found, with no recommended guideline on how many hours maximum to charge.

Anything else?

ledzeppelin240
08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah one more thing, with a little bit of electrical knowledge and the wiring diagrams it is very easy to understand the circuits and how they work. Mixing up different terminology and not really knowing what is going on is very confusing.

The first thing that should have been done was looking at wiring diagrams to understand what is going on.

Nismo240SX
08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
thanks guys, for bringing up a dead thread. you guys really did waste your time. how smart do you feel now?

ledzeppelin240
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Well I know I could have fixed all the problems you were complaining about in about 1 hour. It really helps if you understand how the circuits work. So I fell just as smart as I did before...

well, technicly speaking... the car is a 5spd... and needs a completed circuit for it to start... thus making it the ghetto rigged clutch interlock

Doesn't every car with a starter need a completed circuit for it to start???

edgarlopez9734
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
ok i have a 240sx hatch 89 its swapped into a auto to a 5 speed but it wont start. it has perfect compression but my brothers say it has something to do with the neutral safety switch? how can i get it 2 start?

edgarlopez9734
02-21-2013, 06:47 PM
ok my 240sx 89 hatch wont start. I spliced what i think is the neutral safety switch(its the thick black wire and thick white wire under fuse box) i cranked the car but it wont even try to start to crank. What do i do? I need help, this is my second car and my first 240sx. my number is 623 205 0440 thank you.

edgarlopez9734
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
ProjectRDM i have a 89 hatch and it wont crank it was originally a auto but got converted to 5 speed wuth auto harness can you start a 5 speed with auto harness?where do you find the neutral safety switch?

fliprayzin240sx
02-21-2013, 07:53 PM
straight from heavythrottle

"In the engine bay, coming out of the bottom of the S13 fusebox is a pair of thick wires with a single oval grey plug. Usually wire colors are black w/ yellow stripe and white. Connect these 2 thick wires together to bypass the starter interlock."

ProjectRDM i have a 89 hatch and it wont crank it was originally a auto but got converted to 5 speed wuth auto harness can you start a 5 speed with auto harness?where do you find the neutral safety switch?

Read above...if its jumped, you got something else going on.

Also, good job bumping a thread from 7 yrs ago, almost everybody in this thread are probably dead of old age already.

edgarlopez9734
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
oh ok but i did bypass the interlock by splicing them together. ANd it still wont start . i think its the ignition switch?what do you think?

WIKID S4TEEN
02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
What do you mean, it won't start, does it turn over, is this a recent swap or was it working before???

MORE DETAILED INFO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edgarlopez9734
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM
i have a 89 hatch 240sx i spliced the safety control switch blakwire with wjite and white wire together.and my car still wont turn on ,perfect compression and changed coil and spark plugs.what do i need to do to get my car to turn on? idk how to check any replies from you guys so please message me in private thank you.

edgarlopez9734
03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
i bought the car like this the guy was half way thru a 5 speed swap.and yes it turns over

omgRWDgoodness!
03-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Lmao, this retard posted 3 times trying to get a response out of somebody.