PDA

View Full Version : Sleeving a SR20DET

fico
08-01-2006, 10:37 PM
So Im planning to push 400+ hp on my SR (No im not one of those people who just has dreams i have the means to make this happen) and I was planning on sleeving my block (along with pistons, rods, headgasket, and headstuds). The problem is I cant find anyone to do it (the sleeving). Does anyone know any companies do it or is sleeving even necesary? Thanks a lot.

---Fico---

WilloW
08-02-2006, 12:36 AM
If I were to sleeve my SR, I would send it to this place http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/sleeving.html. I've been told many times that for about 400hp sleeving and aftermarket rods are unecessary. But 400 would eventually lead to more down the road so might as well overbuilt it and have some peace of mind.

Flybert
08-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Sleeving the block for 400hp is way over kill. Do some more research.

fico
08-02-2006, 03:07 AM
this is my reserch i ask dumb questions and get yelled at then i learn lol also im use to working with N/A engines so i dont know that much about engines that are built from the factory, so if im planning on 400-450hp what do i need to do? head gasket? head studs? any internals?

ryangreg
08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Forged pistons, moly rings, metal HG, and all the obvious supporting mods to go with......i.e. fuel, exhaust, cooling, managment etc. While the motors apart, freshen it up with some Nissan rod/main bearings.

fico
08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
what do u think i should be able to run on stock internals except a new head gasket and head studs? and Apex-i makes .8 1 and 1.5 which is the best?

S13Eye
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Having the means to build a car isn't just having the money. Its also having the knowledge. In your case, I suggest just paying a shop to build your motor - if you ask which thickness head gasket is best, or if factory internals can support 400 horse, you obviously have not done any blueprinting or research. You wanna know which one is best? The correct one - go figure out which one that is.

ryangreg
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Not many people have the knowledge or know how to build engines, If you feel up to the task thats fine, Im not here to judge your mechanical prowess or hands on ability. I did mention forged pistons however, not sure if you glanced over that. Look into a cometic head gasket, thickness depends on what you plan to run for pistons....stock compression, raised compression etc. CP makes good pistons for the SR, as do many other companies, I mention them because they have reasonable prices.

ManoNegra
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
I would Search Fresh Alloy. The forum is packed with power builds and dynos.

fico
08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
i have some know how but i dont know alot. thats why i ask questions, if you could instead of tell me what i already know help me out with links and such or explain things to me like what is the benifit to a 1.5 head gasket is as opposed to a stock .8 one it would be appreciated

remember at one point or another you were like me wide eyed and bushy tailed :eek3: no one ever learned anything without first asking a question

johngriff
08-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Books. Start with books.

It takes YEARS of study. Not to mention Understudy under profesionals to build things that perform and work well.

If you are interested in resleeving the SR, contact me personally. I can guide you, and build you a quality SR fit to your expectations. However, the costs with build up of this kind are high.

Contact me in person if you want to rap about this.

John
714 493 0293
[email protected]

ryangreg
08-03-2006, 05:52 AM
I totally agree with you man, you gotta ask questions to learn, and thats what these forums are all about. This is Zilvia though....people here dont take lightly to previously asked questions, and many can be straight up dick heads (cali thaang). Im trying to answer your questions, but you need more questions answered than what your asking, thats why you need to look into this a bit more. Thicker head gasket would decrease your compression ratio, theoretically allowing you to run more boost safely. Your motors compression ratio stock is 8.5.1...Id try to keep it around there. But you dont absolutley have to....you could bump it up a bit, or kick it down a smidge. I think the pistons that I ended up sourcing for my ca18det ended up being 8.2.1.

johngriff
08-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Lower compression ratio to run higher boost is a complete waste. Any "higher boost" issues should be able to be corrected using correct fueling/spark and management. By dropping the compression you are losing power just to say you run high boost. This is a very "ricey" concept in my opinion. A good turbo street car will see 9.3-9.5/1 CR with moderate boost (think 1 bar vs 50-60trim) on 91, and upwards depending on higher octane fuels.

But you never called, so I guess you dont have the money.

fico
09-09-2006, 02:13 AM
i have the money but ilooked more into it and for what im planning this summer/fall im fine with stock everyhting

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
06-20-2007, 07:15 AM
this is my reserch i ask dumb questions and get yelled at then i learn lol also im use to working with N/A engines so i dont know that much about engines that are built from the factory, so if im planning on 400-450hp what do i need to do? head gasket? head studs? any internals?
for that much you don't need to do any thing to the bottom end its good to 500hp-600hp on the sr you jus need to upgrade the head. and sleaving is unnessecary if your not gonna be pushing lots of boost and mor than 500hp

DrtyRat
06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
thanks for replying 9mos later.