PDA

View Full Version : Just read

fastpace
06-23-2002, 01:49 AM
I have been thinking about this ideal for awhile and it is about intakes and fans. I know that intake systems feeds the engine with cold air to make the car faster, but I have been thinking about modifying a fan near the end of the intake pipe (before the air enters the cylinders) so that air would be pushed into the cylinders at a faster rate. I think this will add horsepower and increase gas mileage because more air is pushed into the cylinder. But I am not sure about this concept. But I think this thinking was done already by GM.
         What do yall think about this ideal about strapping this fan to a cold air intake system?

srJOEYdet
06-23-2002, 02:04 AM
Sounds like a weak electric supercharger to me. I doubt you would get much from it. If you want to push air into a non forced-induction intake, I would go with ram air. Cut a 2.5" hole in the air dam on your car, and attach some flexible pipe (maybe fixed pipe, it would be smoother) from your hole to right in front of your cone filter. Than get one of those chrome circles they use on office desks to make the hole all the cords go through pretty, to make your ram air duct pretty. I read this one somewhere on 240SX.org I think. Kinda messes up your reliability when you get off the throttle at speed. You could make a lightly sprung valve in it though. Maybe a little like a blow off valve. Just a thought.

Joey

adey
06-23-2002, 02:24 PM
basically what you're talking about is a supercharger or turbocharger. these basically force air into the cylinders through a small fan about the size of a round cup/mug coaster.
For your reference:
http://howstuffworks.com/ &nbsp; <--- search for "turbo charger" and "super charger".