PDA

View Full Version : Power steering leaking bad

IDriveFords
07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
The hardline for the power steering on my car is leaking bad. It's got the dual cam stock KA motor. I can't find this part readily available anywhere, every place I checked would have to backorder. My question is: are there any other cars (the nissan trucks/suv's) that use the same hardline for the power steering. If I can compromise it may save me alot of time and money. If not I'll have to backorder it and not drive the car for about a week or so for fear that my pump will go bad. Another option is to eliminate the power steering all together but I've heard this is a very painful thing to do with this car.

projectRDM
07-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Define "hardline".

If it's the cooling line, you can bypass it temporarily. If it's the high pressure line, keep adding fluid and wait it out.

IDriveFords
07-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Its the high pressure line. I added a whole bottle of lucas stop power steering leak stuff thats "guarenteed" to fix it and its still gushing. I don't think I'm gonna get away with patching this. How difficult is the car to drive after you eliminate it?

projectRDM
07-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Problem is finding a belt to spin the water pump without the PS pump in place. Just draining the lines dry will kill the bearing in the pump within minutes.

IDriveFords
07-24-2006, 10:18 AM
any idea on the belt size?

Irukandji
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
high pressure ps line = $45 at kragen

pwhitersxs
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Pepboys sells fuel line tubing that is exactly the same as the high pressure line that connects to the hose coming off of the pump. I used that and its working great. The tubing even comes with the same fitting that connects to the ps hose.

My post on FA:

Well not much of a write up, but more informative. My high pressure metal line that goes from the pump hose to the rack rusted through.

Instead of buying a new kit, I discovered that pepboys carries fuel line hose that is exactly the same as the high pressure metal line.

All you need to do is cut it down to size, a tool to bend the 5/16" tubing, and a flare kit to flare the one end. The ftting that attaches to the pump hose was already on the metal fuel line when I bought it too. So now I have a spare power steering fitting.

The part number is 800-156. The brand is dorman quick disconnect. the upc is 019495026145.

I hope this is what you were talking about.