PDA

View Full Version : Coilover install...keep red seal for the mount?

sean350z
07-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I have this thing with mounting something metal to metal especially when it comes to coilovers...I'm not fond of installing them without the red washer that seals out water and keeps the contact area a clean mounting surface.

How many of you install new red washers at the mounts when installing coilovers? Can I order the paper washers from Nissan?...I couldn't find them on trademotion

Thanks

harlockssx
07-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I have this thing with mounting something metal to metal especially when it comes to coilovers...I'm not fond of installing them without the red washer that seals out water and keeps the contact area a clean mounting surface.

How many of you install new red washers at the mounts when installing coilovers? Can I order the paper washers from Nissan?...I couldn't find them on trademotion

Thanks

I never used them (red seals) myself, but I guess it wouldn't hurt...

NemeGuero
07-24-2006, 12:46 AM
its a dirt/dust seal.. that's all

caall99
07-24-2006, 09:20 AM
so where does one get it??? i want to keep my freshly ordered megans nice and clean

!Zar!
07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
It has nothing to do with keeping the coils themselves clean, being as how 95% of the body is exposed.

Running them on the front would be pointless, being as how the camber plats have adjustment slots, so dust/water can still pass through there.

It's purely optional. If you still have them, then use them. If not then don't worry.

sean350z
07-24-2006, 10:04 AM
yea i just want to have that added layer of protection of aluminum to steel contact (not worried about dirt)...not that they should move enough to cause wear but...i'm just anal about those kind of things.

thanks for the advice guys...going to call stealership to see if there are replacements b/c mine are deteriorated and i would like new ones.

EDIT : For those who want to replace theirs, the part numbers are

54329-58S00 (front)
54329-01U00 (rear)

S13Eye
07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the part numbers. They should be added to the FAQ. I will be getting a set of those seals, for the exact same reason you wanted to. It would also seem that the seals would serve as road noise insulators to an extent.

Here in the midwest our cars are exposed to a lot of corrosive road chemicals. Any protection, no matter how small is a good idea.

sean350z
07-24-2006, 10:54 AM
FYI those part numbers are for S14...pretty sure they'd be very similar to S13s

trsilvias13
07-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Or you can simply go to any home depot, autozone, kragen,etc.. and get one of those make your gasket paper thing.