PDA

View Full Version : Axle breaking, newly replaced, breaking again, FWD, help/thoughts?

Indolent
07-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Not a nissan, 240sx, etc.
but it's still a car, i know some of you guys out there have some mechanical experience/knowledge of this possibly

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.4L 4 cylinder
FWD
No mods.
around 200,xxx miles

*alignment is off a little, toe out? kinda like this.. | /
-axle popped off from the CV joint by the tranny making a left turn
-replaced with new one, about a month later same scenario
-replaced with new one, drove for about a mile, starting to make a left, pops out or starts to

.at idle the engine wouldn't seem to stumble much, seems normalish to me but i could be wrong, so i'm not too sure if it's the mounts
.while in gear, giving it some acceleration, it would seem to rumble (almost popping out, or in the process)
.i still have to check the mounts but most of the mounts i looked at don't seem to be in bad shape, still look pretty good but i still need to recheck

any idea on how to repair this?
i just need some other opinions if anyone has dealt with this problem or has a good idea what might be wrong with my friends FWD car

krustindumm
07-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Sounds like the axle is too short. make sure your putting in the correct axle.

undesiredshoe
07-23-2006, 02:20 PM
you have a '03 eclipse with 200k+ miles on it!??! My '90 240 doesnt have that much! How much do you drive this beast?!

Indolent
07-23-2006, 05:16 PM
it's my friends, he drives it just about everyday, goes from riverside-LA a lot, thanks for the responses

S14DB
07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
He hit a curb and the front arms are out of spec.