PDA

View Full Version : car losing power, doesn't want to start, ACC lights not working, diming, clock reset

Indolent
07-14-2006, 08:18 PM
i haven't turned my car on for about a week or two
i try turning it on today here's what happened
-key on acc, hear fuel pump, try to start, just click, starter doesn't try to do its job
-try again, cluster/acc lights are gone, don't hear fuel pump, clock resets
-try again, same as above, now when i put it on the ACC position the clock is very dim, then when i try to start nothing happens

my battery is reading over 12 volts
help/ideas is appreciated

Birddowg240
07-15-2006, 01:15 AM
This happened to me on my s14. First my battery read 12 volts, so I didn't think of jumping it, so I got it towed home. Then after a few days of being pissed i said what the hell lets just see if it jump starts, and sure enough it did. So first try that, if that doesn't work, sand down your battery terminals, sand the ground that clip to the battery, sand down all your electrical connectios that ground somewhere to the engine bay. It fixed my problem and my problem sounded very similar to yours. And for shits a giggles i bought a new alternator.

JMixedDS13M
07-15-2006, 03:52 AM
if it's a manual trans make sure the rubber grommet that is just above the clutch pedal is there. if it corroded and fell out there is nothing pushing the neutral safety switch in to start it. if you push it in by hand you should be able to start the car. this may not be your problem but i had same symptoms and it ended up being that stupid part that is supposed to be just above the clutch pedal. it won't hurt to just get under your dash and make sure you still have that grommet there, that is assuming you have a manual

cotbu
07-15-2006, 04:55 AM
charge battery or get a jump, let run for 10min turn off restart normally.