PDA

View Full Version : what would cause massive blow by? (ka-t)

Father Time
07-10-2006, 06:34 AM
I vent my valve cover to atm. normaly you can feel little puffs comming out of the pipe and maybe a little oil on the inside, normal i expect.
BUT i took about 5 passes at my local track and pulling off the track the car died. idle was bad (lumpy) and i was getting HUGE amounts of fumes and oil comming from the valve cover. i wasnt smoking from the tail pipe at all until i put the hose into the intake ( have a nipple just before the TB). this made the car smoke pretty bad so i took it back off. the car smoked for another 5 min or so and i never let run long enought to see if it would clear out.

Heres where i may have farked up. i ASSumed i blew a ring so just took my head off. but looking into my exhaust ports i noticed no oil (i freaked) . am i still hunting rings or would a pcv valve cuase idle and such. If its just pcv im going to punch myself in the nuts.

s14slide
07-10-2006, 06:58 AM
go ahead an punch yourself in the nuts anyways. Don't forget to post the vid.

No, don't do that. I'm j/k. I'm too tired right now to troubleshoot engine probs. Bleh, just ran 5 miles and maxxed my push/sit ups.

S14DB
07-10-2006, 07:41 AM
You PCV set up is the root of the problem but you prolly fucked other stuff up in the process.

First I hope you're IAT+MAP and not MAF if you're allowing unmetered air IN through the valve cover.

You PCV system intakes clean air through the VC and vents it through the PCV into your intake runners opposite to the fuel injectors.

Normally the KAT sees vacuum all the time and sucks the engine block(crankcase) gases out into the cyl to be burned off. But, now your KAT and the runners see boost when they should see vacume and your PCV goes into backfire mode. Which blows it out fast. Now you are pressurizing the crankcase and causing blowby. Your cyl walls will wash down and the rings start to go. But the oil is from the crankcase getting pressurized and blowing oil out the VC intake.

What you should do is take the PCV valve out and the whole hose connected to it. The T bar and everything. Cap the 4 ports(one on each runner) and run the PCV to a catch can and then to the turbo intake to see vacuum. If the car is still MAF the VC should go to the intake pipe behind the MAF so you are getting Metered Air in. If not a filter open to the air is fine.

orion::S14
07-10-2006, 06:51 PM
That muc blowby - Sounds to me like you broke a ring land...rings on KA's are STOUT...they rarely break. OK, make that never.

Pull the pistons, I'll bet you find one that looks like:

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/broken_piston.jpg

Should have compression tested before you tore it down, it would have told you which cylinder you broke.

- Brian

Father Time
07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
That muc blowby - Sounds to me like you broke a ring land...rings on KA's are STOUT...they rarely break. OK, make that never.

Pull the pistons, I'll bet you find one that looks like:

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/broken_piston.jpg

Should have compression tested before you tore it down, it would have told you which cylinder you broke.

- Brian

you are correct sir, ring lands. i broke the lands on every piston *takes a bow*

crazybb
07-11-2006, 11:19 PM
now punch your self in the balls..

ledzeppelin240
07-12-2006, 12:33 PM
THe PCV valve does not work well at all when not under vacuum, only works under idle and moderate throttle. Like said before you had it setup wrong. You should feel suction at the valvecover if your PCV valve is operating correctly.

MOUNTAINGARAGE
07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
one more Q....how well was this thing tuned? was detonation the fighter in the ring? were you on pump gas? where was the timing?

thx - ka-t fan