PDA

View Full Version : Tein Super Drift for Grip?

fwuffy squirrel
07-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, well I found out the super amaing amount of stiffness on my car is because I have super drift coilovers insted of some regular teins. Anyway I wanted to ask if anyones ever rode on these and its normal for the car to feel stiffer then you could possibly amagine. I know of course its meant for drift and I could see why, I could swing my back out like nothing with these but my questions is will they grip race? I do canyon runs alot and I havent tried with this car yet, but honestly im afraid because if I push hard im not sure if these will make my back come out faster then normal coilovers.
Can you give me some tips mabye make it all the way loose in the back or the front not sure which way to provent drifting. Is there any way to make these softer...cause damn they are SUPER stiff.

Silverbullet
07-06-2006, 08:52 AM
drift and grip cars have similar suspension setup. Im assuming u have Tein HE coilovers? Its up to you to adjust the shock dampening and chassis stiffness and tires. If you feel like your car over steers too easily, soften the rear shocks slightly and stiffen the front.

phreze
07-06-2006, 08:59 AM
drift and grip cars have similar suspension setup. Im assuming u have Tein HE coilovers?

He said he has Tein Super Drifts. They where the next advancement over the so-so HE's. Yes you can grip with just change the suspension for more understeer to avoid sliding.

Read up about what changes do what and then it will be up to you to find the perfect settings.

fwuffy squirrel
07-06-2006, 08:59 AM
im not sure... http://www.tein.com/sddamp.html
Im pretty sure they are those. So it is lighting the back to cure oversteer thx man. Mabye wider tires would help too *pull out pockets only to see a piece of dust come out* sheesh

Silverbullet
07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
ooh snap, i didnt know they sold a line of "drift" coilvers. Im assuming they just have closer front to rear spring and shock rates (near 10k-ish). Trade for Tein HA coilovers (8k/6k spring rates)?

look in the Archived section, i think theres a good write up on oversteer/understeering characteristics. The basic concept is stiffer rear will make it oversteer and viseversa for understeer. People try to achieve balance with suspension when it comes to racing. Most people would prefer the car to be neutral or slight oversteer than have the car understeer.

OptionZero
07-06-2006, 10:51 AM
You're not allowed to grip with "drift" suspension parts. If you try, Tein will activate the remote self destruct feature.

I'm fairly certain that in your case, it's bad driving not the suspension that's resulting in the rear being out of control. Drive better, worry about suspension settings later.

aznpoopy
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
the spring rates have the same 2 kg/mm gap most coilovers come with.

they are 10kg/mm front 8kg/mm rear. that's already set for plenty of understeer.

you could dial in more understeer. but imo 'curing' oversteer in this case probably has more to do with how you drive.

!Zar!
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
There are no such thing as drift coilovers, it's just part of marketing.

The 10/8 spring rate for the streets isn't harsh at all. I have Tein SD's and I daily on them.

Once you setup your your preload and damening, you shouldn't have and problem with qrip.

The setup doesn't just come from the coilovers, but the biggest diffrence on your car will be the alignment setup and tires.

As for your canyon running, it all depends on the roads in your area.

Most of the time they tend to be bumpy so you should soften the dampening on your car and depending how low your car is you might need to raise it.

After you finish dealing with that, you can never have too much practice and skill.

jafero
07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
In theory, grip setting and drift settings are different in term of compression and rebound of each coilovers on each sides of a car. Main difference is that in drift you set up so that rear out-corner tires loose grip a lot sooner than that of grip. I am not master in suspension set up but as far as I know in drift you put more compression in the rear suspensions than you would in grip. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

With my experience, however, it seems like any coilovers produced with price tag under $2000, from Tein to Megan, all have fixed compression or compression set at fixed ratio relatively to rebound changes while you can only change the rebound with 6-32 dampening settings. So go to the track and just change the rebounds. :bigok:

McRussellPants
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
In Main difference is that in drift you set up so that rear out-corner tires loose grip a lot sooner than that of grip.

Technically...

You want the rear softer,

Cars that want to oversteer are shitty to watch. Make it understeer and you are able to use more throttle.

more throttle = more smoke

Its 100% personal preference though.

fwuffy squirrel
07-06-2006, 06:06 PM
AWSOME couldnt have asked for more thank you so much guys. but yet another question...if I have these coilovers front rear tanabe struts and thats it, what would be the next suspension mod? I have ok tires but im sure I could get better but would those come before an hks brace or front rear sways? Just want to know what will help the most for the least amount of money like everyone else lol thx again.

OptionZero
07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
your next mod should be driver skill.

get some, then get more...then more...then you tell u what your car needs, instead of asking us

slideways2004
07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
your next mod should be driver skill.

get some, then get more...then more...then you tell u what your car needs, instead of asking us

+1
don't mod your car to where you can't drive it. when you mod your car, the settings should be set to the driver so he can get the max potentail out of the car

fwuffy squirrel
07-06-2006, 09:00 PM
your entirely right I know I sould like a dumb lucky kid but I just want to make triple sure about everything. I have a FWD and did that thing up to the max and pretty much reached the potential out of its heavy ass. Now im switching to RWD and I dont want to **** anything up by mimicing my fwd techniques. Thats why I hope you dont think of me too badly. I got a little skill just not enough to endanger my car because of a question I didnt ask.

OMGWTFBBQ
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
they are designed to take a lot of abuse, if you dial in the settings to what they should be it would be fine for grip