PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Install HELP!

breakindrifts
07-05-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm almost finished with replacing my old trans, but I cannot fit in the new one!

Spline is lined up as far as I know, and all the bell housing bolts line up with the engine, but there is maybe 4" of room seperating the engine and transmssion and I can't push the transmission in any further no matter how hard I try.

Driveshaft is still spinning without resistance so I know it is not far enough in for the teeth to be out of alignment.

Anyone have any tips, suggestions? :aw:

Xren17
07-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Did you use a clutch alignment tool? The clutch could be misaligned from the input shaft. What I normally do is use the drive shaft to turn the input shaft to try align it with the clutch. Also if you haven't dropped the exhaust you might consider that too since the angle of the engine might not be parallel with the transmission. This'll cause the input shaft to bind against the clutch teeth. Hope that helps.

breakindrifts
07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks, I did use a clutch alignment tool before torquing on the pressure plate, and my exhaust doesnt seem to be in the way at all. From eyeing it, the transmisson and engine seem to be parralel/straight?

I'll try turning the driveshaft while pushing the transmission back further.

Xren17
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
It's not because the exhaust is in the way. It's so that when you drop the exhaust the engine will tilt down, giving you a better angle to put the transmission in. It's the same trick you use to take the tranny out since it help clears the tunnel.

breakindrifts
07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Phew got it in, a tip for those attempting in the future, make sure the transmission is in gear when re installing.

Jason@performance
07-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I was going to say put the trans in gear...

:-/