PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Cover KA motor

IDriveFords
07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
How important is the timing chain cover on the stock twin cam KA motor? Mine broke, should I replace it? Does it keep the timing chain from jumping off the gears? This seems to be a very common issue with the stock motor after about 130k miles this thing breaks and makes it sound like your motors is messed up. I took the broken peices out and I'm just wondering if I should order one from Nissan because none of the auto parts stores here carry them.

s13silvia03
07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounds like your just talking about the upper timing chain guide. If so, just remove it and put the valve cover back on, it's not needed.

IDriveFords
07-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Thats what I figured. It doesn't look important, but then again looks can be deceiving. I just removed it and replaced the gasket and the horrid noise is gone. Just trying to figure out if high rpms may cause the chain enough movement to jump out of place or even fall off. It seems that this guide prevents the timing chain from ever doing that.

s13silvia03
07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
You'll be alright without the guide, its a common problem for the KA. Everyone removes it, even the dealers will remove it due to it being some sort of published problem.

OdessaS13
07-04-2006, 01:06 AM
upper one is not needed, the side oil pressurized one is a little more important though. if its stuck then your chain may start slapping the valve cover if its loose enough. just a heads up.
-Mike

Frenzy13
07-04-2006, 04:46 PM
The dealer recomends to remove it because the you could get unlucky and not have it break clean, then the little chunks of metal from it can circulate through your block.

nissanguy13
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I had mine break on me. It was bouncing around and hitting the valve cover, but the noise was so faint it took me a while to notice it. (sounded like a faint popping noise) Luckily I caught it before it did any damage. I believe there was a recall on that piece telling people to take it off or bring it in and they would take it off. Everybody I've talked to has taken it off or it broke off. I never heard anyone have a problem after taking it off.