PDA

View Full Version : Dented oil pan + tensioner?

Neejay
07-03-2006, 02:32 AM
I have a dented oil pan. I have rattling after a certain rpm on my SOHC. When I took off the valve cover and looked at the timing chain, the guides were there, but there was slack on the chain. Could I just be getting low oil pressure from the dented oil pan so there isnt enough pressure to get the tensioner to put tension on the chain? Im trying to not have to do a timing chain job although the hardest part seems to just be making sure the timing is correct. I already have an extra oil pan.

sohc @ just under 160k miles.

Neejay
07-08-2006, 01:47 AM
bump....thanks......

aznpoopy
07-08-2006, 10:45 AM
picture of the dent would help. where is it? how deep? ka pan clearance isn't nearly as tight as the sr20.

sohc timing chain rattle is pretty common. i wouldn't be surprised if it was just starting to go from being old. 160k is alot.

Neejay
07-12-2006, 01:58 AM
picture of the dent would help. where is it? how deep? ka pan clearance isn't nearly as tight as the sr20.

sohc timing chain rattle is pretty common. i wouldn't be surprised if it was just starting to go from being old. 160k is alot.
Dammit...I wish I knew how long I had before the engine completely crapped out. I need/want it to last until I can afford to swap with something. The sound is very embarassing though. Seems to be wasted to pay for someone to do it. I dont' have the space to do it myself.

aznpoopy
07-12-2006, 02:34 AM
it doesn't take much space to do the job... just alot of time. if you know what you're doing you can get it done in a day.

parts should cost you under $100.

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/timing_belt_questions.htm (scroll to bottom)

Neejay
07-12-2006, 02:37 AM
it doesn't take much space to do the job... just alot of time. if you know what you're doing you can get it done in a day.

parts should cost you under $100.

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/timing_belt_questions.htm (scroll to bottom)
I've had the parts for over a year now LOL.

Im getting closer and closer to just trying it. I just don't want to fuck anything up and be screwed.

LA_phantom_240
07-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Dammit...I wish I knew how long I had before the engine completely crapped out. I need/want it to last until I can afford to swap with something. The sound is very embarassing
LMAO... this is exactly what i thought.. then one day, randomly POOF... smokey goodness. i dont think the SOHC would have this same problem, but on my DOHC, the chain ate through the guides and into the front cover, letting water into my crankcase and i THINK it blew out my ring lands. Good times ahead of u. I dont think SOHC has that problem though...

The moral of the story: if its a problem you can fix without spending a fortune, do it. The motor wont last a long as you need.