PDA

View Full Version : new car some questoins

manjijima
06-22-2006, 08:26 AM
ok so i just got a 92 fastback. twin cam, i have a few questions...
the engine has some knocking noises from the top. im guessing due to the timing chain gaurd problem?

2nd when i start my car, the idle bounces up and down. sometimes drops so low it stalls. so i have to give it some gas to stay up. anyone know what kinda problem this might be?

3rd im getting pretty bad gas milage. at about half a tank i got only 110 miles. havent gone through the whole thing yet.

is there anything i can do or change to make my car running top shape? thanks

OdessaS13
06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
do all the regular tune-up maintinance first,
you may have vacuum leak somewere
timing chain there is writeup left and right so do a little searching and you shouldnt ahve a problem finding it

to calculate how much gas milage you are really getting, fill up full tank, driveuntill you next fill up, look at how how many gallons you got and how much miles your trip cunter shows, divide trip/ how mnay gallons you have = mpg

saying you got 110 on half tank doesnt really say shit because the fuel gauges arent really too accurate

ZX88
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
gas milage also depends how ur driving if u drive fast and accelerate quikely:Ownedd: u burn more gas it really hard to get the factory mpg. also make sure your air filter is clean it might need replacing.

OdessaS13
06-22-2006, 11:09 AM
gas milage also depends how ur driving

really?!?!?! :duh:

rancid240
06-22-2006, 11:23 AM
ok so i just got a 92 fastback. twin cam, i have a few questions...
the engine has some knocking noises from the top. im guessing due to the timing chain gaurd problem?

2nd when i start my car, the idle bounces up and down. sometimes drops so low it stalls. so i have to give it some gas to stay up. anyone know what kinda problem this might be?

3rd im getting pretty bad gas milage. at about half a tank i got only 110 miles. havent gone through the whole thing yet.

is there anything i can do or change to make my car running top shape? thanks

Are the noises more of a knocking, or a ticking? Ticking can be lifters/chain. The problem with starting the car is probably a dirty IACV, mine has it, a lot of older Nissans have that (the valve lets air in during idle, it gets dirty and sticky, so car dies unless you hold gas in at start up to open the throttle).

For gas mileage I would check for leaky injectors, clean up your maf and throttle body...basic tune up stuff like they said.

manjijima
06-22-2006, 04:22 PM
its a knocking. but from where the cams are. doesnt sound like a bearing... i hope

OdessaS13
06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
i would also check the upper guide, and see if your upper chain is not slapping against the valve cover, your side guide might be stuck and its not putting pressure on the chain causing it to slack, hopefully your upper guide is still in one piece

also is the sopund coming from the front or towards the middle of the valve cover, use a stethascope and find out

Serebros
06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
1. Short Ram Intake with K&N Filter or Replace Filter With Drop-In K&N
2. Spark Plugs ie. NGK Iridium's, NO Bosche
3. Distributor Cap + Rotor
4. O2 Sensors
5. PCV Valve
6. Oil Change With Good Oil ie. Mobil, Penzoil, Gastrol GTX
7. Oil Filter
8. 300ZX Fuel Filter
9. Use Fuel System Cleaner Ie. Seafoam - Do This Before Anything At All
10. Flush and Change All Fluids (Motor, Brake, Power Steering, Clutch, Radiator, Tranny, Diff)
11. Clean TB with Carb Cleaner
12. Do Brakes If Needed (Rotors, Pads, Do Lines If Their Really Shitty)
13. Tires If Needed
14. Balance Wheels
15. Get Alignment

Do all that, all those are a must with a newly bought used 240, dont wait, and dont get performance mods yet. After u do all that itll be a brand new car practically, your gas mielage is bad prolly because u either drive really fast, or have a car that hasent been serviced/tuned up in ages. The wierd idle is on most 240s ive seen, but if it stalls at idle, its either a dirty airfilter, dirty TB, or your idle is set too low, u can readjust it from the TB. If your car has like 100,000 - 150,000 range, u might have to replace the timing chain assembly which would explain the knocking/ticking.

Late - Rafi

manjijima
06-23-2006, 01:21 AM
i have 64k lol

OdessaS13
06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
u sure ur odometer wasnt rolled back?

manjijima
06-23-2006, 04:18 PM
yea, i bought it from an old guy. plus the interior was perfect and no rust anywhere.

manjijima
06-23-2006, 04:18 PM
otherwise id kill him lol