PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if ecu is bad

go240
06-20-2006, 09:22 PM
i went turbo on my daily driver (240sx ka24de) and got an 8 bit ecu from a local shop. then i had a tv repair shop solder in an eprom chip that is tuned for my set-up. the problem is when i put the key to on, everything clicks. i mean, anything that can click or dim or flicker will do it randomly (needless to say the car doesn't start).

how do i tell if: a) the ecu is bad, b) the chip is bad, c) the install is bad or d) something else is killing my shit

Realchaos1
06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
i can tell already that something is bad. You had a TV repairman solder in a chip? You should have went with JWT.

Yoshi
06-21-2006, 01:18 AM
me thinks someone got scammed...

go240
06-21-2006, 10:12 AM
i hope all washington guys aren't as retarded as you two.

let me break this down so you don't get confused again:
1) I got an eprom chip for a ka24de that has been configured for 370cc's and a t25 on 7psi

2) I had a 16 bit ecu and could not install the chip without a daughterboard

3) I traded ecu's with a local shop so I had an 8 bit ecu (does not require a daughterboard)

4) I had a tv repair shop de-solder the oem chip and solder in the new chip because I did not have access to the proper equipment

5) when the key is set to "on" all the relays click

g6civcx
06-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Check for a loose ECU plug.

Yoshi
06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
i hope all washington guys aren't as retarded as you two.

Wow. What a great way to ask for help, great attitude.
You didn't post any real details about what you've got and where you're trying to get to until your belittlement post here.

It's well known that there are always multiple means to the same end, it's just that the ECU tuning thing has been discussed to death. There are about 3 or 4 reliable ECU retuners, all of which ask for your stock ECU as a core and send you out a retuned one. RE-TUNE, not daughter card, not an addon chip.

If you get your addon card to work, more power to you. But I've been in this community for over 5 years now, and I've seen MAYBE 3 people who have gotten all the way through the addon chip process without throwing their hands up in disgust and just having a complete ECU retuned or going with an eManage or EMS or PF.... and none of the ones I know of were KA-T, just SR.

So when I said "scam", i was referring to the fact that TV repair guys, while they have have some small component soldering skill, are NOT exactly the voice of experience in doing car ECU work. If a guy knows how to weld, that doesn't mean I trust him to build me a roll cage, know what I'm getting at?

Right now you have so many variables that trying to isolate them is going to be a really fun exercise in patience.... nothing I've said hasn't been documented w/search, of which you should have suffiient zilvia experience to know to use. I didn't intend for my comment to be derrogatory, or I'd have elaborated a hell of a lot more... I don't think realchaos intended to be an ass either man. you'll get a lot more people willing to lend their 2 cents if you could be humble for a minute and ease back on being so defensive... catch more flies with honey, etc etc.

tre
06-21-2006, 12:43 PM
here's an awesome test. Plug your old ECU back in and see if the car fires up (or a friends if you dont have one)

Yoshi
06-21-2006, 01:18 PM
here's an awesome test. Plug your old ECU back in and see if the car fires up (or a friends if you dont have one)

hey, that was a brilliant idea for another "retarded washington" guy. :rolleyes:

we need an emoticon that's something like:
:dripping-with-sarcasm: LOL

tre
06-21-2006, 01:58 PM
hey, that was a brilliant idea for another "retarded washington" guy. :rolleyes:

we need an emoticon that's something like:
:dripping-with-sarcasm: LOL

Its okay. use retartds dont know much about cars at all. Neither does the 325crank hp N/A ka24de racer :O

go240
06-21-2006, 04:39 PM
believe me, i've thought of trying another ecu - and i am tonight. the problem with that is, if it does work nothing has been narrowed down. it still could be the motherboard, the install or the chip itself.

what i am going to try and do is put a socket in the ecu instead. then put the old eprom back in. at least that will narrow it to the chip if it does work. if it doesn't then it's the install or motherboard.

and i apologize for being short with you, nothing on this car has gone right and it's becoming very frustrating and expensive. my sr20det was never as much trouble as this shit. sr20det > ka-t

tre
06-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. But you're the first person i know of to have this problem Boosted KA's + SAFC-2s = Great outcomes.

Plus at 15psi i belive its a flat 340whp/tq with a decent tune.

But yes try the ecu if it fires up. Maybe the TV repair man fried your ecu.

Electronics can be very easy to fuck up sometimes. Who knows maybe he forgot to sauder*spl* one pin?!? Open up the ECU an dlook and make sure every thing is in correctly. One messed up suader*spl* point on my window controller and i coudln't roll my window up and down.

go240
06-21-2006, 06:36 PM
no i've checked all the connections. i even had them re-do it.

had i known i was going ka-t, i would have never sold my safcII when i upgraded to a power fc on my other car. but i did so now i'm stuck trying to pinpoint the issue. hopefully after i put the socket in tomorrow the oem rom chip will work and i'll know its the chip but we will see

*it's spelled solder