PDA

View Full Version : white smoke during shifting means...

Enjin
06-20-2006, 01:24 AM
blown turbo seals correct?

OBEEWON
06-20-2006, 09:38 AM
does it smoke during idle? If so thats the turbo seals? If its only during shifting well im not sure.

Enjin
06-20-2006, 01:27 PM
my gf was driving my car the other day and it smoked every time she shifted.

I have noticed for a while that the car shoots white smoke at idle for about 15 seconds after running it hard.

also, I have noticed coolant-esque sediment accumulating on top of the radiator. possibly related?

ManoNegra
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
White usually means water/coolant in your motor which typically means blown headgasket. Check compression. Take a look a the coolant make sure it's not milky. Good luck.

Enjin
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
it hasnt given me any troubles with overheating. I drove 200 miles straight without any problem. is the smoke a sign that my headgasket is ABOUT to go?

the thing that makes me think turbo is that it smokes when I shift... at that time, the pressure varies.

omghi2t28?

Sil-Abc
06-22-2006, 02:38 AM
white smoke = headgasket (coolant in engine) just sniff the tailpipe and if its sweet ur screwed.

blue smoke = oil (turbo seals other stupid stuff)

sounds like the headgasket is about to go or on its way. engine swap? rebuild :D

TNathe
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
im betting turbo seals man. I KNOW white=coolant blah blah blah. Sometimes it is extremely hard to see the blue in the smoke. trust me, my 74 pickup has had bad valve quide seals for several years. Upon startup, white smoke. My turbo seals went on my KA-T, white smoke. I do NOT stand by the white.blue smoke premesis. What does it SMELL like? Syrup? Then its coolant, petro, then its oil. Simpler than finding a hint of color in your smoke cloud. lol

BTW: take the intake pipe of your turbo and grab hold of the shaft. See if you can wiggle it. If so, rebuild time for the snail.

Enjin
06-22-2006, 11:20 AM
white smoke = headgasket (coolant in engine) just sniff the tailpipe and if its sweet ur screwed.

blue smoke = oil (turbo seals other stupid stuff)

sounds like the headgasket is about to go or on its way. engine swap? rebuild :D

would it not be better to simply replace the headgasket?

Dream240
06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Sure if you catch it now. If you wait and you have a blown head gasket.....then you will run into a damaged head, cylinders, pistons, valves,....so basically a rebuild.

First check your coolant level, does it constantly need refilling? if so you have a leak and a head gasket is in order. If not then your smoke is coming from either bad turbo seals or bad piston rings. Does it get worse at a higher RPMs? You should notice more smoke at higher RPMs.

Another tip, if you do end up replacing the head gasket, get brand new head bolts from the dealer. Because trust me you don't want to have to redo the job because an old worn out bolt isn't tightening properly and you're still smoking.

Good luck.

statik
06-22-2006, 03:15 PM
also, I have noticed coolant-esque sediment accumulating on top of the radiator. possibly related?

cheap radiator cap?

Neejay
06-22-2006, 11:11 PM
If not then your smoke is coming from either bad turbo seals or bad piston rings. Does it get worse at a higher RPMs? You should notice more smoke at higher RPMs.
I get smoke at startup. And when I push it (higher rpms) I think my car smokes...can't tell what color though. This mechanic said that my valve stems might need replacing/resealing/work. But my car doesnt constantly smoke. When I did a compression check, I got 152 on all 4.

What do you all think?

(sorry for thread jacking, if it is)

Enjin
06-22-2006, 11:35 PM
yeah its definately jacking. but its ok because you have a sweet ride!

ok... so... I ordered a cometic headgasket, arp head studs. I feel comfortable doing that anyway.

TNathe
06-23-2006, 09:09 AM
:lol: you ordered these items and are replacing them with NO idea what is wrong. Did you ever check the slop in the turbo? Compression test? Replacing the head gasket IS NOT a 30 minute ordeal, but have fun.

Enjin
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
yeah I did check what was wrong. I figured it would go without saying.

drftmark
06-23-2006, 05:58 PM
I had white smoke coming from my sr about 6 months ago, and the problem was that one of my pistons cracked due to lack of oil. cost about 3000$ to rebuild with JE pistons + new headgasket

Boney
06-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I got the same problem right now... My car doesnt smoke at idle but if i rev it, it will.. then it will smoke during shifts and after driving hard. I thought it was my turbo seals so i got a brand new turbo.. still got the problem. Its grayish, not really white. I just got this block from heavy throttle and they did arp head studs and metal headgasket so how could it be that?

I'm betting on piston rings, you might have the same problem. I would go do a headgasket until your totally sure man.

peoplerfoolz
06-26-2006, 11:44 PM
it might be the seals that are done

reccakun08
06-27-2006, 02:34 AM
i would bet on the headgasket but its a pain in the ass.

Enjin
06-27-2006, 08:40 AM
ok well I am taking out the entire motorset.

my friend is doing the headgasket for me. he knows his shit. I will ask him to take a look at it to see if he can tell if I need new piston rings.

honestly, I'm glad that this happened. I need to work on my car seriously. It's become jangly and ghetto.

while Im replacing headgasket, I'm replacing turbo manifold with the megan one, the transmission mounts, the motor mounts, swapping the bellhousings with a ka transmission, installing new exedy stage II clutch, spec flywheel, and fixing the wiring.

after that is complete, the car is ready for the gt2871r setup. fun fun let's go! ^_^

DrtyRat
06-27-2006, 09:05 AM
my friend is doing the headgasket for me. he knows his shit. ^_^
you may already know this but just in case make sure to get your head resurfaced

Nackers
06-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I had the same exact thing. I started venting my BOV and it started. The hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake (pre turbo) is putting a bit of oil in my exhaust. I put a breather filter on it and revved it slightly and could see the smoke comming out of my breather filter. I think if I put the hose back to the intake and recirculate my bov it will stop or not be as noticeable.

I would check that before doing a HG unless you don't have an aftermarket one in there... then I would just go ahead and do that as well. Good luck

ivegonemad
07-01-2006, 12:57 AM
u should definetly check out ur spark plugs its easier to see if u are burning oil...and while ur at it..once u taken the head...check the piston/rings....i would have alos thought of bad rings...