PDA

View Full Version : ka24de in a corolla

isnsi
06-14-2006, 10:11 PM
so far i got the engine, tranny, ecu, whole wiring harness, drive shaft, ignition module, rx fuel pump and short shifter.. too bad im missing an engine mount. :-/

what are your thoughts on it guys?

mmdb
06-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Sounds cool. KA is a great motor. Makes good torque, and if you blow it up you can always pick up another one for dirt cheap. Are you looking to turbo it? With the extra power in that chassis there'll probably won't be much need to do it, but what the hey. More power is good power :)

aznpoopy
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
someone did it on club4ag, iirc. if you run into problems, try asking or searching on that forum.

for a corolla its okay.

for a s12 200sx, its great. it goes in real easy... even uses the stock ka24de engine mounts according to what i've read.

driftkid316
06-15-2006, 01:37 AM
i just pretty much finish my KA in corolla swap. very straight forward. just modify the xmember so u can just use stock KA mounts. if you need to take a look at my xmember and other things, just ask me.

isnsi
06-15-2006, 11:52 PM
got any pics of the xmember? yea i got all the parts ready for it, im just getting a bit lazy and working on some body stuff. i drove jinsokus on club4ag and i gotta say its crazy. stock everything and it had so much torque you wouldnt beleive. stock clutch grabbed hard, like you can crack your dash on the engagement itself! i believe he was running a 4.3 rp so the gears were shorter than normal. rendering the 1st gear vitrually useless! most likely can do a burn out on 2nd gear easily lol it felt good, gobs of tg all over the powerband and way more reliable and more potential than a gze. i just sold my gze and using the money to fund this project instead. seems pretty straight forward.just alot of trial and error as far as fitment is concerned.

driftkid316, you on club4ag? im isnsi on there.

nissandr1ft
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I have a freind of mine whos doing the same thing but KA-T. Lightweight car, tons of torque, Itll be like driving a really fast go kart.

driftkid316
06-17-2006, 02:27 AM
isnsi- yea im the same name on club4ag. yea ill try n get pics soon. yea i used to talk to jinsoku on AIM, but never see him on anymore, did he get a new SN? but anyways, yea i think hes using AE mounts. i think its better modifying the xmember and using the stock KA mounts. i can help ya out if u need if you have any questions. you have an sr5 or gts? mine was sr5, not gona waste a perfectly good gts lol, so wiring was very easy. AIM me if you need help. SN- seishidrift

isnsi
06-17-2006, 10:18 AM
yea hes not on aim as much anymore since hes moved to california. but then again thats the only time i talked to him online. what did you modify on the xmember? i looked at alexs car and he is infact using stock mounts. i wish i could find another engine mount so i can fit and see and stop asking questions!

yea mines a gts. its been crashed, twice, 4 paint jobs, 3 engines ( this will be the forth) i wont consider it wasting a gts until it snaps in half haha

im lisnsil on AIM

isnsi
06-17-2006, 10:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/8ab8c9dd.jpgwhat its going into

driftkid316
06-18-2006, 12:27 AM
thats a pretty clean paint job. mine looks like shit for now, ill be doing the 50 dollar paint job. your gona have to put the motor really far back or really low i think to clear that drop vent. i dont know if you would clear the steering rack if you got it to be that low, and if you did, your oil pan would sit very low. just a few words of advice.

isnsi
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
i can always modify the oil pan. no problem. my aim was to mount it as low and as far back as possible, with out intereferring with the ebrake lever on 2nd, 4th and r gears. im going to be cutting out a peice of the firewall/tranny tunnel and makingn a bolt out peice so you can get at the top tranny bolts and other things in the back with more ease. itll make clutch jobs A LOT easier. not too sure if a header would clean even if i mount it a bit lower and further back. iirc the header is a direct hit to the steering column, so it wont do much. what i thought of, as a cheaper solution was to buy a cheap steel header, then heat and redirect the pipe to clear. do you know of any cheap 4-1 header? itll make it alot easier than a 4-2-1. i would rather make my own pretty high rise with absolutely no r&d ( lmao) but it wont be cheap in pre bent pipes and i dont have accesss to a tig atm. :-/

all the $50 paint jobs ive seen look like complete shits. itll take 5x the amount of work to make it look as good as a sprayed job. and even if you get it smooth with a nice gloss, it will not have the depth normal jobs have.

heres a pic of my buddies vertex side skirts ive painted. rustoleum can only dream of a luster like this. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/07a75e7b.jpg

Realchaos1
06-18-2006, 03:17 PM
omg your brilliant, do the swap and post pictures. It won't have the high rev, but it would have torque!!!

Not to mention the simple upgrades you can do to try to get 180hp

isnsi
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
heres come pics of the progress.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/a4188953.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/50296858.jpg
made my motor mounts, just gotta weld them together.

ManoNegra
06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
oooh.. that looks pretty cool. Any pics of the actual crossmember mod?

MikeisNissan
06-29-2006, 11:09 PM
hey man thats a real cool project, im a supporter of the KA24DE motor, its a very underrated engine, with intimidating potential. Best of luck!

TougeSR20Kid
06-30-2006, 01:09 AM
you crazy kids and your motor swaps... i like to keep it easy and str8 forward sr20det into 91+ s13, honestly props for doin it. i know a couple guys that slapped sr's in their 86's, they said it was a bitch and you had to do either a bunch of x member modifying as mentioned above and i remember one of my japanese buddies getting custom mounts made.

car looks sick man keep posting pics of the progress, if you want i'll get in touch with my 86 buddies and ask em what needs to be done. lotta work just make sure you got the wiring done right... i cant tell you how many people i see at meets with self fabricated harnesses and their cars run like complete ass

isnsi
06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
i would agree that alot of the wiring ppl do run like ass because they do not fully understand what theyre doing. i was just asking what modifications to the xmember was make to save me a bunch of cutting, test fitting and welding. kinda like a little shortcut. but too late! engines out again and making xmember mods now to clear the oil pan on the intake side. the pan that droops in the front is low, but not too sure if its low enough to worry about it yet. well not at least until the engine, intake, exhaust and tranny are in. hopefully the front drops a little more with the added weight. i miss how it looks with some weight in the front haha!

right now i have a short list of small things i need. one of the things are those passenger side tranny sensor things. im missing the one close to the bell housing. also, im in need of a shifter bushing. are there any aftermarket companys that sell maybe derlin? and a speedo cable.
ill take pics of the mounts and xmember modification.

i have a build up thread in club4ag but i havent really written much in there.

oh i have some questions. does those gauge cluster harnesses i see on ebay for like $20 plug directly into the ecu?

does anyone have a link to an online FSM?

redsuns3838
06-30-2006, 03:26 PM
240fsm i believe you can get pretty easily just by googling 240sx FSM. they also are in the FAQ thread. if you meant a 86 FSM sorry dont have that one =(

isnsi
06-30-2006, 07:33 PM
[maniacal laughter]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/d2b9f49e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/86089e92.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/c8bf15ad.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/isnsi/9d868874.jpg

[/maniacal laughter]

the brackets are tacked in and the motor is sitting on them. hopefully the tacks hold! haha. its fitting great, its a little slanted like how it sits in the 240 and i ended up just bringing it back only an inch and a half. best part, IT CLEARS THE DROP VENT! woo! ill finish the brackets later, i just got other stuff to do.

crazyikimasho
06-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Very nice! I know MA-Motorsports has been working on a SR into an AE86 and Spork in NC is also doing a KA (later to be KA-T) in his AE86.

Ill be interested to see the end results of these.