PDA

View Full Version : Is my KA toast???

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey guys, I’m new to the 240 scene a few weeks ago I bought a 91 240 SE coupe and love it. The car ran fine since the day I bought it but then I took it to get it smogged and it failed NOX (3824ppm @ 15 mph and 3309 @ 25 mph). The guy blamed the EGR. I checked the EGR for vacuum leaks and pulled up on the bottom of it and the car stalled so I know it’s working. So I came on the forum and did a search, I came across a few threads on seafoam. I also read about over inflating the rear tires, driving the car hard before the re-test, etc…so I bought some seafoam. I disconnected the brake booster vacuum line and slowly poured about half the bottle into the motor. My friend started revving up the engine and we smoked out the neighborhood. I din't pour any into the gas tank because I still had like half a tank. I drove the car to the gym and back with a big smile on my face because the car seemed to run smoother. The next morning as I was going to work when I went to shift into second the car bogged down bad around 4000 rpm. I kept giving it gas but the car wouldn’t accelerate, so I had to drive in the bike lane and let traffic pass…saw my friend drive right past me in his S14 and the mother fu*#er didn’t pull over to see what was wrong (HAHAHA sup Robbie, Dub City!). So I nursed the car home jumped in my other car and went to work. I searched the forum again and read about changing out a bunch of stuff after running seafoam. So I changed my sparkplugs, fuel filter, O2 sensor, cleaned the following with carb cleaner, MAF, IACV, EGR, and throttle body. I checked to make sure the fuel injectors are all working and the car is getting worse. Now it wont rev past 2500 rpm, it just boggs really bad and wont rev up. So I searched yet again and was convinced I had a bad cat. I pulled the cat off yesterday and the car still runs like shit. I’m ready to drive it off a cliff :rl: but the sad part isn’t drive able to the nearest one. I don’t know what else to do, it idles fine and no check engine light. Please help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on going SR later this year and would like to keep the KA for the time being. Please help me and my gross polluter.

Frenzy13
06-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Uhhh... I remember reading something about the Knock Sensor, or some sensor on the car that when it trips, it throws the car into a safe mode and won't let the car rev past 2500 RPM to save the motor. Can't remember for the life of me what the sensor was though. MAF or knock, I think.

ranisron
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
check your MAF connections. A bad connection on the MAF will make the car not revving passing 2500 RPM.

Ask your friend to let you borrow the MAF to see if your old MAF is in good condition or not.

rancid240
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Uhhh... I remember reading something about the Knock Sensor, or some sensor on the car that when it trips, it throws the car into a safe mode and won't let the car rev past 2500 RPM to save the motor. Can't remember for the life of me what the sensor was though. MAF or knock, I think.

MAF has the 2500 rpm shutoff.

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks you guys! I'll try that tonight, would the MAF fail after running seafoam?
The thing I cant get over is how it ran fine before.

S13Eye
06-14-2006, 12:20 PM
I guess under rare and nearly impossible circumstances it would be possible for the MAF to fail after seafoam. When you use seafoam the engine runs like crap for a few minutes, so it sputters and backfires. It would be possible for the engine to backfire through the intake and somehow damage the MAF. Seriously though, this would be like one in a billion odds. To answer your question - Seafoam would not damage your MAF. Its most likely just a coincidence, unless something else went on the engine. The 2500 RPM rev-limiter suggests a broken MAF though.

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I guess under rare and nearly impossible circumstances it would be possible for the MAF to fail after seafoam. When you use seafoam the engine runs like crap for a few minutes, so it sputters and backfires. It would be possible for the engine to backfire through the intake and somehow damage the MAF. Seriously though, this would be like one in a billion odds. To answer your question - Seafoam would not damage your MAF. Its most likely just a coincidence, unless something else went on the engine. The 2500 RPM rev-limiter suggests a broken MAF though.

Thanks S13Eye, I also have yet to change the oil after running the seafoam. A guy here at my work said seafoam makes the oil like water and I mave have damaged the engine internally by not doing an oil change after I drove the car.

ranisron
06-14-2006, 12:37 PM
^^ Nah, I don't think it would do "THAT" big of a damage.

Just check your MAF connection...

Once upon a time, I did a burnout (at a drag strip) to warm up my tires for the Altima, the MAF connection got loose, and I thought I blew the engine or something...

It's probably something little, KA is pretty durable to be honest.

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
^^ Nah, I don't think it would do "THAT" big of a damage.

Just check your MAF connection...

Once upon a time, I did a burnout (at a drag strip) to warm up my tires for the Altima, the MAF connection got loose, and I thought I blew the engine or something...

It's probably something little, KA is pretty durable to be honest.

Thanks bro...that's good to hear!

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Well my friend Dubcity :fruit: has an S14 so the MAF isn't the same. If anyone is in Oxnard/Camarillo/Ventura with an S13 I give you like $10 bucks plus we can have a few beers if you stop by and let my use your MAF to see if mine is bad. Send me a PM. Or if anyone has an extra one they're willing to sell please let me know. Thanks!

DUBCITY
06-14-2006, 04:24 PM
If anyone is in Oxnard/Camarillo/Ventura with an S13 I give you like $10 bucks plus we can have a few beers (must be 21 :naughty: )

Can we cuttle too? :love:

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Can we cuttle too? :love:

No you sick bastard...you have your boy Hans for that.

OH...just noticed I used the wrong smilie. Forgot to say must be female 18-25, hot, 5,5-5,7. HAHAHA J/K

kensreliableb18b
06-14-2006, 05:20 PM
whats wrong with women over 25? shit...im sure i'd learn a thing or two :wiggle:

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 05:43 PM
whats wrong with women over 25? shit...im sure i'd learn a thing or two :wiggle:

HAHAH Nothing...I'll go up to mid 30s and MILFs are welcome too. Back to the topic you wouldn't happen to have an extra MAF for an S13?

kensreliableb18b
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
ah yes, back to the topic. sorry man, i only have a z32 maf. oh, and +1 on the mid-30s and MILFs

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 06:06 PM
ah yes, back to the topic. sorry man, i only have a z32 maf. oh, and +1 on the mid-30s and MILFs

Damn, OK thanks. It's not your fault this thread went OT I blame it on DUBCITY.
That guy is always starting shit...I blame him for all my S13 problems since he talked me into getting one. He had his S13 and sold it to get an S14. DAMN YOU DUBCITY!!

ranisron
06-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I hope you don't mean ThatGuy :bow:

Damn, OK thanks. It's not your fault this thread went OT I blame it on DUBCITY.
That guy is always starting shit...I blame him for all my S13 problems since he talked me into getting one. He had his S13 and sold it to get an S14. DAMN YOU DUBCITY!!

gotta240
06-14-2006, 08:48 PM
You didnt actually poor the seafoam INTO YOUR MOTOR did you? You used the vaccume line method...RIGHT?

If you poored it into the crankcase and haven't changed the oil yet, your probably screwed. if you just let it go through the fuel system, you should be fine.....

Klimaxx805
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
You didnt actually poor the seafoam INTO YOUR MOTOR did you? You used the vaccume line method...RIGHT?

If you poored it into the crankcase and haven't changed the oil yet, your probably screwed. if you just let it go through the fuel system, you should be fine.....

Yep I used the vaccume method and it went into the crankcase. I drove it around for a while let it sit overnight and the next day all this started. I was going to change the oil the next day after work.

S13Eye
06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Just for the record, you can use seafoam in the crankcase. There are instructions on the back of the bottle for this purpose. Its great at cleaning out oil passages and oil pumps. Also it thins out sludge that can collect on the bottom of the oil pan so it helps it drain out. It can be a PITA to remove the oil pan on a KA, so its not a bad idea to run it through the motor once in a while before you change the oil. All in moderation though. Its most likely not a good idea on old, poorly maintained engines where grime is the only thing holding clearances.

Buffalo Daughter
06-14-2006, 11:18 PM
you know what i think it is if its not the connections and i believe its not. If you cleaned your MAF with cleaner i think you may have fucked up the the sensor inside if you sprayed carb cleaner in it. That seems like the only logical thing other than the connections. Maf will cause your car to bog. So if connections are good then you sensor inside the maf is fucked and you need a new maf.

Klimaxx805
06-15-2006, 12:05 AM
I hope you don't mean ThatGuy :bow:

:confused: I mean DUBCITY AKA mr2turbo2 AKA superfly white guy lol...is ThatGuy another member? I'm just kidding about DUBCITY. He and I are roommates thats why my location says 1 room down from him. I just like talking shit to him.

Klimaxx805
06-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Just for the record, you can use seafoam in the crankcase. There are instructions on the back of the bottle for this purpose. Its great at cleaning out oil passages and oil pumps. Also it thins out sludge that can collect on the bottom of the oil pan so it helps it drain out. It can be a PITA to remove the oil pan on a KA, so its not a bad idea to run it through the motor once in a while before you change the oil. All in moderation though. Its most likely not a good idea on old, poorly maintained engines where grime is the only thing holding clearances.

Thanks, I thought it was safe. I remeber reading it's recommended to change the oil but it didn't say not to drive the car at all with the oil and seafoam mixed. I don't know how well it was maintained, it has 122K original miles.

you know what i think it is if its not the connections and i believe its not. If you cleaned your MAF with cleaner i think you may have fucked up the the sensor inside if you sprayed carb cleaner in it. That seems like the only logical thing other than the connections. Maf will cause your car to bog. So if connections are good then you sensor inside the maf is fucked and you need a new maf.

sweet avatar! The car ran bogged really bad before I cleaned the MAF out so I don't think it made it worse. I really hope it's the MAF.