PDA

View Full Version : A/C Evap Core removal

AuburnRyan
06-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Trying to get A/C back in my '93 240sx with SR. Planning on using the SR compressor, and custom hard line fittings (a search just informed me some say you need a custom low pressure line?? - first I've heard of this).

Questions -

I need to replace a leaking evap core from behind the glove box, can i remove/replace without removing the dash?

Do I need the A/C condenser fan? I'm running a FMIC and Koyo Copper with no heat issues at the track or street.

My local shop will cut lines and "crimp" on new fittings...not so sure about the approach. Plan to replace Drier and most o rings when everthing goes in. I have 2 cans of R-12, but am open to recharge with r-134, given it's cost in case it leaks somewhere the first time.

projectRDM
06-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Pull the glovebox and the metal frame behind it, the evap slides right out. Very easy to do.

I would definitely run a fan, just to aid in cooling since you're going to want cold air.

AuburnRyan
06-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks Russ, as always :love:

g6civcx
06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
You can do it with the dash in, but it's much easier with the dash out. Pick your poison.

The heater is a pain though. The A/C is easy.

AuburnRyan
06-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm only doing AC Ken, thank god...

I also need to get the dash vents off (the one's that blow air on the pasengers), current set broke plastic trim when I tried to pull off...any ideas?

g6civcx
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
The best way to remove the dash vents is with the dash out. You can then push it out from behind. It may break if you try to pull the vent out from the front.

Maybe you can loosen the dash enough so it can wiggle a little bit and you can pop it out from the back.