PDA

View Full Version : K&N cone filter vs. injen intake filter

Krunko
02-19-2002, 05:27 PM
is it worth buying a K&N filter to replace the standard filter that comes with the injen intake?

yenpit
02-19-2002, 05:29 PM
if the Injen filter is new.....no. it will work perfectly. if its old and crusty.....sure, K&N is prob the best.

Jeff240sx
02-20-2002, 02:26 AM
I might be missing something... but when I bought my Injen intake... it came with a K&N air filter.
If its old and crusty... mabey you should buy that $10 cleaning kit.
-Jeff

yenpit
02-20-2002, 01:15 PM
ur partially right.....the Injen used to come with K&N but they developed their own filter. still very good quality. and yes u could use the K&N cleaning kit to clean the Injen filter. :cheesy:

Jeff240sx
02-20-2002, 01:21 PM
When did they do that? :confused: I bought my intake a year ago and I have a K&N filter on it....
-Jeff

yenpit
02-20-2002, 01:26 PM
u coulda bought a kit that sat on ur suppliers shelf for a little while, then to u......i'm guessing well over a year ago??

sykikchimp
02-20-2002, 02:44 PM
If you have a new injen intake.. (not sure when they changed) DO NOT CHANGE THE FILTER.  Their filter is what makes the intake better.  They have invented some sort of Velocity stack within the filter that causes the Air to flow faster through the intake piping.

sykikchimp
02-20-2002, 02:48 PM
from their website:

"Injen's innovative filter design equals more HP!

In 1999 Injen set out to develop the ultimate filter design. After extensively testing rubber and plastic compounds we came upon a urethane rubber that is able to withstand elevated temperatures with zero distortion. Urethane is a light weight material which will not fade and will hold its shape for the life of the filter. We pioneered the technique of incorporating the built-in velocity stack in the filter base. Injen Technology filters have been tested repeatedly on a flow bench and on a dynomometer against the leading competition's filter elements and have out-performed them every time. ( See our web-site for test results.) Based on these test results it's no wonder that the competition has taken steps to duplicate our filter design utilizing our techniques in molding urethane compounds. "

Just a note, but they show about 13-14 hp gain with their CAI.. I talked to one of the guys over their and they do MANY runs on the dyno, and post the average gain on their website.

edit-I changed the HP.. I was reading Tq #'s

(Edited by sykikchimp at 4:50 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

sykikchimp
02-20-2002, 02:53 PM
so for the extra post..  My roommates has an RSX and the guys on CLUBRSX did 2 seperate independent tests, and the Injen intake (SRI) was repeatedly the Better intake by at least 3 hp in every test.  That was against AEM SRI and CAI.  It always had VERY high #'s for an intake.  like 12-15 hp gains.  (granted this is an RSX, but it is an attestament to Injens Quality)

yenpit
02-20-2002, 03:45 PM
oh sh*t! good call sykik. forgot about that. AEM does the same thing......velocity stack built in.