PDA

View Full Version : Trying to reset my timing (1991 240sx KA24DE)

SiI40sx
05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=103240&highlight=Reset+Timing

I read that thread and got stuck on part #8. I cant adjust the distrubtor and I pretty much know nothing about resetting my timing lol. Dont have a timing gun either. Where could I find a more sourceful page showing how it should be done? Or should I just take it to a mechanic? Thanks in advance

Indolent
05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
number 8, you take the valve cover off to see the distributor like that
make sure your motor is set at tdc
and when you put the distributor in, make sure the marks line up (since when you put it in the dist. will rotate)
you're going to need a timing light to properly set the timing on your car

aznpoopy
05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
for step 8, there's an implied step in there that you have to remove the distributor to align the pin marks as shown.

if your car runs and idles, there's no reason to reset your timing like this. i wrote that up for people who swapped engine or fucked up their timing when doing the second timing chain guide.

with a running car, all you do is break out the timing light and follow the instructions in the FSM.

if you don't have a timing light, get one. resetting to tdc is to get the car running. once its running you still need a timing light to time it.

SiI40sx
05-31-2006, 12:14 PM
yea my car runs and idles ok I guess (havent driven it in a few months) but it overheats / ed and the lower hose ripped open a small hole I think it had. I started having a lot of over heating problems and wasnt sure why and my car did not have any power in low rpms, when it got to higher rpms it would kind of run, but still no power. When I would accelerate it would sound like a WRX. I figured my timing was off.

aznpoopy
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
timing shouldn't cause overheating problems. it would however buck and stutter, lack power, or have a weird idle (or not run at all).

lower rad hose ripped? you probably introduced air into the coolant system. you need to bleed it. that may or may not solve your overheating problems.

as for no power, is the car throwing any codes? how do your spark plugs look? any smoke? etc.

SiI40sx
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
ive changed them to NGK and it didnt fix it =(

Indolent
06-03-2006, 04:16 AM
yea my car runs and idles ok I guess (havent driven it in a few months) but it overheats / ed and the lower hose ripped open a small hole I think it had. I started having a lot of over heating problems and wasnt sure why and my car did not have any power in low rpms, when it got to higher rpms it would kind of run, but still no power. When I would accelerate it would sound like a WRX. I figured my timing was off.

sounds like a wrx...
fuel/spark problem unless your motor's ring's are gone (no compression)
unplug each injector while the car is running/idling
if you notice 'no change' in tone of the engine running, somethings wrong with that fuel injector or spark plug/plug wire, etc.