PDA

View Full Version : sr20det tranny leaking oil

sr20tom
05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Ok i picked up another sr 240 for a friend and i figured out that one of the bolts that holds the driveshaft in place (tranny side) was missing a nut and was grinding the casing. Its only the outside so its not that bad. The trannny is leaking oil from the driveshaft side. Is there a gasket there or should i just fill it up again and hope it dont leak. I tighened the bolt but i think all of the fluid leaked out and its winding now. Is the tranny messed up or is there somekind of a gasket.???? He registered the car and its a daily driver. I need to fix this.

fliprayzin240sx
05-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Ok i picked up another sr 240 for a friend and i figured out that one of the bolts that holds the driveshaft in place (tranny side) was missing a nut and was grinding the casing. Its only the outside so its not that bad. The trannny is leaking oil from the driveshaft side. Is there a gasket there or should i just fill it up again and hope it dont leak. I tighened the bolt but i think all of the fluid leaked out and its winding now. Is the tranny messed up or is there somekind of a gasket.???? He registered the car and its a daily driver. I need to fix this.

You talking bout the drive-shaft carrier that keeps the drive shaft in place?

As far as the tranny, iirc there isnt really a seal per se in the rear. The driveshaft pretty much seals it. Double check your oil level, its probably higher than its supposed to be, that could be the reason its coming out of the impeller area.

slider2828
05-25-2006, 12:41 PM
There is actually an o-ring there that meets the driveshaft to the tranny. You can get the replacement part from any nissan dealership. The o-ring/oil seal is the same part number as the KA tranny oil seal. Its easily replaced, just make sure you tap it in with a flat surface. It is the same type of seal that the crank seal has, but just different size and part number.