PDA

View Full Version : Which LSD is best?

SyrusStephens
05-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm looking for a solid LSD for a 93 coupe. Nismo's LSDs are around 800 and i want to stay in that price range, +/- 200 dollars.
which one is worth it?
Kaaz
Nismo
Weld Locd
Cusco
Tomei

i8yourfwd
05-24-2006, 04:15 AM
which one is worth it? All of them. Which has such insane bang for the buck that you'll be enternally happy for having it? Weld Locd. I'm assuming your setting up for drift? Since nobody asks questions with setting their S chassis for something OTHER than drift...

Cliffnotes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/intelectualism/stfuweld.jpg

:)

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2006, 04:35 AM
ok this is what I say every time this thread comes up. Get your shit welded, thats $60. Try it and if you dont like it sell it for $100 and get another open for $40. You lose nothing and you get to make the decision for yourself. I would never run anything besides a welded, and luke is a good guy.

Nan Desu Ka?!
05-24-2006, 04:56 AM
which one is worth it? All of them. Which has such insane bang for the buck that you'll be enternally happy for having it? Weld Locd. I'm assuming your setting up for drift? Since nobody asks questions with setting their S chassis for something OTHER than drift...

Cliffnotes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/intelectualism/stfuweld.jpg

:)
You were just itching to use that pic again...

+3 for Luke's Weld Lockd... unless of cource you like paying 800$+ for a lsd that you have to rebuild every other season... or more.

Nothing beats it for the price... and even the more expensive 2-ways have a hard time. Plenty of people that can afford nismo/cusco/etc LSD's still choose weld lockd.

/0.02

blu808
05-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Here is some more info. Thanks again you guys for the kind words.

http://www.shockdrifting.com/weldlocd.html

g6civcx
05-24-2006, 05:38 AM
You may want to add ATS to the list as well.

Thanks for the info, Luke. I will definitely check out your option.

TURBI
05-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Kaaz USA says that their lsd can last over 100k mls even with abuse which is usually longer then most abused motors would last.

tre
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
If you're interested in buying a Nismo 2way from teh dealership for 720 + shipping let me know

tre
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
720 + tax & shipping**

MELLO*SOS
05-24-2006, 09:04 AM
may I reccommend the SRCHNWB brand of LSD.... :hahano:

I <3 my kaaz 2 way... bought from www.driftfactory.com

My FC buddy swears by his ATS.

Like many others here said, depending on your budget, I say go with a weld lock ver 4. It's hundreds of dollars cheaper than the name brand lsds, and you'll get similar performance as compared to a 2 way clutch pack. If you want to step up you could always sell it and get a 1.5 or 2 way... If you hate it (unlikely) you can downgrade to an open diff or helical and be out next to nothing $ wise.

GL

Silverbullet
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Kaaz
Nismo
Weld Locd
Cusco
Tomei

If the Weld LOCD is already an option for u... why not just go with that? Many can vouch that it feels same as a 2 way and its not even half the price.

tre
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I only see one problem with a welded. I live in seattle lol

tre
05-24-2006, 09:18 AM
mello808, whats your plans for the ka after you swap?

!Zar!
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I only see one problem with a welded. I live in seattle lol
There is no problem with a weld in the rain, unless you drive like an ass hat.

If that matches your driving style, then you deserve to crash.

But anyone who drives like that will have problems be it any type of diff.

tre
05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Have you ever driven in the rain IN seattle?

Its hard enough with my vLSD. I dont drive like an asshat. The hills are insane enough, the traffic is horrid. And sometimes when it rains you can't drive faster than 30mph and be able to see. Seattle has many slick roads. Some brick roads still. I live just outside of seattle. But work in seattle. Thats why if i get a open diff i'm going to weld it. And run it in the dry season and my vLSD in the wet season.

Plus a welded in the snow doesn't seem to fun. The sheer fact that each tires is spinning the same no matter what doesn't appease me for certain conditions.

Caleb
05-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I heard VLSDs are tuned for drifting but only if you put it in a sil-80

tre
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
never heard of that in my life. But i guess it holds it own. Yet i belive its on an 80/20 power split 80 right wheel 20 left wheel lol

I can drift to the left no problem. But coming back to the right. friends say my right tire is just smoking up a storm lol

codyace
05-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I just installed a Kaaz 1.5 in my s14 and Couldn't be happier with the choice. Locks right when I need it to and doens't make for any sort of squirly situations in the rain or under decel. I almost got a 2 way, and am now very happy that I didn't.

I'm not doubting Lukes WeldLocd differention, but for those who live anywhere in the northern states, it's pretty much useless for non winter driving. If I lived in the Southwest, you be damn sure I'd have my diff welded, but unfortunatly I have other weather aside from sunny and hot, sunny and warm, and sunny and cold.

!Zar!
05-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Have you ever driven in the rain IN seattle?

Its hard enough with my vLSD. I dont drive like an asshat. The hills are insane enough, the traffic is horrid. And sometimes when it rains you can't drive faster than 30mph and be able to see. Seattle has many slick roads. Some brick roads still. I live just outside of seattle. But work in seattle. Thats why if i get a open diff i'm going to weld it. And run it in the dry season and my vLSD in the wet season.

Plus a welded in the snow doesn't seem to fun. The sheer fact that each tires is spinning the same no matter what doesn't appease me for certain conditions.
Yes I have driven in seattle. A couple times.

So with your reasoning, it's pointless to buy any diff.

Like I stated before and I will hold true to that statment, as long as you drive safely then you shall have no problem.

I've driven a weld on all types of roads. To and from tahoe in snowy, rainy, dry, and various of dry.

As for your vlsd problem, over time it becomes like an open. So either your diff is going to crap, or you lack propper skill.

DJPimpFlex
05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I lived in seattle for a year and I dont know what the fuck your talking about. We got more rain the the bay this year than you guys did. Weld locd is NOT hard to drive in the rain, unless your a "asshat" as !zar! so poetically put it.

240shorty
05-24-2006, 08:31 PM
you can downgrade to an open diff or helical and be out next to nothing $ wise. <-Helical is not a downgrade, thank you.

I've driven my brothers car with a welded and think people understate the effects on daily driving. If you daily drive a welded, you will know it in EVERY turn. I'm sure it is great for drifting, but I don't want people to think that the welded diff was God's gift to earth. It does sacrifice much in regards to smoothness. Also, if you live in a snowy place, winter tires are a must IMO. Brother got stuck nearly every day pulling out of the driveway in the snow on crappy all season tires. The car would just slide sideways way too easily.

MELLO*SOS
05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Didn't mean downgrade to Helical... Just downgrade to open, or upgrade to helical :) to each his own. And you're right it does depend on your driving style/conditions.

I would like to drive an s13 with a wlvX just to compare it to my kaaz 2way. I imagine it must feel nearly identical....

Rittmeister
05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I like my helical (S15) but it really depends what you're trying to set the car up to do.

tre
05-24-2006, 09:37 PM
dude i litereally can't go past 1/4 throttle in seattle if its raining. Or back tires are long gone free.

And seattle is VERY large.

TurDz
05-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Tires differ a lot and affect performance greatly, so driving in the rain can vary from person to person.

DJPimpFlex,

Where can you get an open diff for $40? Is that with pumpkin? I need one in good, working condition for my Nismo LSD. Thanks

tre
05-24-2006, 09:46 PM
You need to get the open pumpkin aswell. But you have to make sure if its abs or not.

kouki_s14
05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
im loving my super quiet/smooth ATS carbon lsd
but it is a bit pricey

tre
05-24-2006, 10:04 PM
do they make spool diffs for the 240? lol

blu808
05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
No. the WeldLocd is the closest thing.

!Zar!
05-25-2006, 04:18 AM
dude i litereally can't go past 1/4 throttle in seattle if its raining. Or back tires are long gone free.

And seattle is VERY large.
Well, sounds like you need to invest in some propper tires. Because when I was forced to transport my s13 during a storm, I had belted tires all around. And I had no problem.

Just to remind you, if your car has no traction with a weld,2way,wtf, then you are just as likely to loose traction with an open.

And thank you for stating the obvious about seattle.

<-Helical is not a downgrade, thank you.

I've driven my brothers car with a welded and think people understate the effects on daily driving. If you daily drive a welded, you will know it in EVERY turn. I'm sure it is great for drifting, but I don't want people to think that the welded diff was God's gift to earth. It does sacrifice much in regards to smoothness. Also, if you live in a snowy place, winter tires are a must IMO. Brother got stuck nearly every day pulling out of the driveway in the snow on crappy all season tires. The car would just slide sideways way too easily.
You are correct about a helical not being a downgrade. I don't know what rock told him that lie.

As for the welded statments, you are partialy correct.

You will notice it, but only if your suspension isn't tuned for it.

When I parted an old car, I only left the diff in there, and the car had a heavier understeer than when my car was aligned for it.
After alignment, my handeling was sexy.

But then again arn't you going to feel the presence of any diff besides an open?

I belive it was Calvin Wan who has a spool in his car.

There arn't any spools for the 240 that I know of, but then again after markup and production costs, the whole idea would be pointless and people would just buy a clutch type.

But being as how weld locd's don't break, there is no need for one.

DJPimpFlex
05-25-2006, 04:32 AM
Pick and pull. $40 for an open in the pumpkin ready to go.

tre
05-25-2006, 09:04 AM
make sure to match up though. If you car has abs try and get an open out of an abs car.

Lordrandall
05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
OK, so on a budget or for long life Weld Locd is the way to go for drifting.

How about grip racing on the track?

tre
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Road racers used lock diffs too

!Zar!
05-25-2006, 01:20 PM
OK, so on a budget or for long life Weld Locd is the way to go for drifting.

Your car will handle so much better, and you can corner consistantly. As long as you don't have any bad habbits, like mashing on the brakes mid corner, or no throttly control. But that driving style will slow you down on any type of motorsports.

DJPimpFlex
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
yea I've done a lot of grip racing with my car and the welded, and the only time its different than a VLDS or open is slow speed corners, and the way to go fast through those types of corners with a welded is to oversteer just a bit. You do it just the right ammount and you dont even have to countersteer, and thats fast with a welded. If you dont drive it that way you will just understeer and go hella slow.

ledzeppelin240
05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Wouldn't a 1.5way LSD be better for grip racing?

Irukandji
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Nothing beats it for the price... and even the more expensive 2-ways have a hard time. Plenty of people that can afford nismo/cusco/etc LSD's still choose weld lockd.

/0.02

I don't understand how all you norcal240 guys say its so much better than a 2way when none of you have ever even driven with one. Well, I've owned both, and driven on both, and I'd have to say my 2way was awesome. Only reason why I sold it was for the money, but other than that, I liked it a lot more than my weld locd. Half of you guys daily drive on weld locds and think you're all hardcore, but really, what's the point of having an lsd when all you do is rain drift?

Anyyyway to stay on topic... Welded is definetly the cheapest way to go, and its just as fun as a 2way (but i wouldn't say its better).

jdmsilvia909
05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
i'm using an actual silvia lsd an its working perfectly for me....i spen about $400 bucks w/ the differential, and both axles....@ LS Automotive...the guys there are good guys

dct223
05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
hrm... im starting to get annoyed of the whole...

ZOMFG... GET YOUR DIFF WELDED ITS THE BEST AND ONLY ANSWER!!! posts..

yeah its cheap, i run it, i like it but its definately not for everyone...

only problem i really see with welded is... if you run TOOO wide of tires in the rear or super grippy tires, all your car wants to do is go striaght and you understeer a lot, this also gets worse if your front tires suck as well... but if you have good tires all around this problem is definately reduced but still aparent.!

not everyone really notices this, not really sure why, maybe they are too busy enjoying the skirting noises when using crappy tires in the rear, and the ego trip they get when people look at them like WTF your car is making weird noises then they turn.

So... yes... you really have to just drive diffs and find out which best fits you and the type of driving style you want to do.. I chose welded because i can not afford a 800 dollar 2way. I switched from vlsd because when i drove my friends car with a tomei 2way tahts all i wanted.

with each diff you have to adjust your driving style, because there is not really a multi locked diff that will act as a vlsd, hlsd, and a clutch type whenever you want it to.

OptionZero
05-25-2006, 05:27 PM
norcallers are gangsta thugs, thats why =P

yo you get my PM? friday still the plan?

jdmsilvia909
05-25-2006, 05:27 PM
i'm using an actual silvia lsd an its working perfectly for me....i spent about $400 bucks w/ the differential, and both axles....@ LS Automotive...the guys there are good guys

trsilvias13
05-25-2006, 05:31 PM
I had open, vlsd, two way and welded. two way tomei rocks over all of them IMO. I prefer vlsd for daily driving though.

DJPimpFlex
05-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I never said that a traditional 2way wasnt better, but I cant justify spending all that extra money for something even compareable and that also has to be rebuilt.

!Zar!
05-25-2006, 08:05 PM
A welded and open is like comparing lotion to ky...

Neo Yakra
05-25-2006, 08:16 PM
KaaZ works! It works for me never had a problem! :bow:

Irukandji
05-25-2006, 10:38 PM
I never said that a traditional 2way wasnt better, but I cant justify spending all that extra money for something even compareable and that also has to be rebuilt.

I wasn't talking to you:duh:

95zilvia
05-26-2006, 12:04 AM
I think everything's been covered.
Get a welded u cheap bastard, then learn to drift with it.
Have some fun in the rain. Become a D1 drifter, then sell the welded and get a real diff.
You really got nothing much to lose.

Luke does Welded diffs by mail.

SyrusStephens
05-27-2006, 07:25 PM
thanks for all the input guys! i think when it comes down to it, im gonna go weld locd ver4 or a kaaz1.5

i want to drift but i also need sumthing thats good for daily driving/rainy conditions. i know most of you probably think this is waayyy too moderate :duh: but itd be the best.

i ran lukes weld 4 and the tires made contact noises when i was starting off from 1st or making turns. is there anyway to fix that? adjusting camber?

also, would the kaaz yield similar noises?

DJPimpFlex
05-27-2006, 07:31 PM
theres no way to fix the noise of the tires with the welded. The Kaaz will make noise, but it will be clutch plate chattering, not tire slipping.

dct223
05-27-2006, 07:32 PM
usually better tires will make less noise.

tires that i have used that are quiet...

yoko es100's
falken 512's

SyrusStephens
05-27-2006, 07:34 PM
what about tuning the suspension? i never knew weld lsd's would make the tires or car feel and sound so loud. people turn and say "wow i think there's sumthing wrong with ur car" lol. its really wearing down the tires too :-P

dct223
05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
what about tuning the suspension? i never knew weld lsd's would make the tires or car feel and sound so loud. people turn and say "wow i think there's sumthing wrong with ur car" lol. its really wearing down the tires too :-P

yes running a weld does wear the tires down more.... I dont think "tuning" suspension will do anything for the sound tires make. again.... if you run better tires they will reduce noise.. I used to run crappy used ones when i had SE alloys, i got some es100's and the chirping noise dramatically decreased. There will still be some sound of the tires breaking tracktion, but the annoying squeel will definately be reduced with different tires. From my experience, es100's and falken 512's are quiet.

Nizzan4u2nv
05-27-2006, 10:09 PM
i'm using an actual silvia lsd an its working perfectly for me....i spen about $400 bucks w/ the differential, and both axles....@ LS Automotive...the guys there are good guys

Ok wow, you posted the same thing twice. $400 bucks for a VLSD.:barf:

Anyway, I like my Tomei Ttrax advanced. I got it for a lot cheaper then an ATS deftforce and even still cheaper then a regular kaaz 2way. Id run a welded if I didnt have the cash. Anything is better then an open diff.

Nizzan4u2nv
05-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Same thing happens when you have a 2way lsd.

SyrusStephens
05-29-2006, 10:41 PM
hmm it does? let me explain in detail...
i'll be starting off in 1st from stop or reversing. it'll make a horrible sound like its making repeated contact with well. can the rear tires really creak traction even at such low speeds of 10 mph? the car gets really bumpy when i make a turn from standstill too, i can feel the vibrations thru the shift stick...like the engine is about to stall kind of bumpiness i guess. maybe im just not used to a lsd.

lol sry i just need an explanation to ease my mind. es100's are expensive tires and i feel theres gotta be sumthing else wrong.

Nizzan4u2nv
05-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Its always gonna make noises. With an open diff, when you turn, the inside wheel is turning less then the outside wheel. Since the diff is locked, the wheels are always trying to spin the same speed. It bogs down because it cant get the inside wheel to turn slower or even chirp. 2ways make the same noises but its less consistent. New fluid and friction modifier will add some initial slip, meaning it wont clunk/chirp tires as much. This is my daily driven observation.

If it bothers you that much, just get a v or hlsd for daily. Keep the weld for track events and what not. Either way, youre gonna sacrifice something.

SyrusStephens
05-29-2006, 11:20 PM
thanks for the clarification. i guess it just comes down to getting sumthing now haha.

KA24DESOneThree
05-29-2006, 11:46 PM

Real differentials are awesome, because they allow a *gasp* differential.

In my not-so-humble opinion and experience with various race cars of various power levels, clutch-type diffs are very good. Carbon clutch plates make the diff even better.

Porsche didn't put a spool in the 935 because it was the totally badass and worked awesome... they put a spool in the 935 because they couldn't develop a diff that could hold the power or stand up to the punishment of those huge slicks. (My own theory... the Porsche afficionados won't question the almighty knowledge of the 935 designers)

Don't get me wrong, the Weld Locd diff is a great diff for people who want to drift for cheap and the VLSD is good for... well, it's just cheap and a tiny bit better than nothing. Helicals are ok unless you lift your wheels often on the street and still aren't as cool as clutch-types, or the top tuners wouldn't be replacing them with their clutch-types.

You can't really ask a question like "what is best for a certain application?" because best is relative.

Lordrandall
05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
You can't really ask a question like "what is best for a certain application?" because best is relative.

Yeah, I wasn't asking 'what's the best', just trying to get different opinions. I'll keep my stock VLSD for now, I'm sure I'll want something different when the car actually makes power and has some decent tires.

WeirPerformance
04-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Rear spools will be available soon!

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/94/s132.jpg

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5981/s13spool.jpg

Weir Performance Engineering LLC
707-315-6638
[email protected]