PDA

View Full Version : loud thud from rear end......HELP!!!

exodusauto
05-23-2006, 11:21 AM
well the s14 makes a loud thud type noise (rear end) when i quickly tap on the gas and when i let off the gas...

it sounds like, when your are at a dead stop and up put the car into first gear....you get that thud...it sounds just like that....

my lil brother wants to get rid of the car because of the noise....we've only had the car for a week!! we've only put about 20 miles on it since we got it....just in sitting in the garage and we're finishing it up.... we got an ae86 too and it doesn make that noise....

HELP!! 240sx newbie....

projectRDM
05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Subframe bushings. Check this site out for more info:

http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html

FaLKoN240
05-23-2006, 11:43 AM
I was gonna say you're missing the differential bushings, but subframe is a good shot too.

statik
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
def subframe bushings, install some SPL spacers.

we got an ae86 too and it doesn make that noise....

and that allowed you to come to the conclusion that all cars don't make loud noises from the rear? Great deductive work =]

gfisch
05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
I have the same problem and was planning on getting subframe spacers as well.

Will the aluminum SPL ones make the ride a lot rougher? Are there other alternatives made out of plastic/rubber/etc?

CHARLIE2020
05-23-2006, 01:04 PM

hahaha!!!!!!

steve shadows
05-23-2006, 01:08 PM
your transmission could be on its last leg as well, double check the rubber bushing where the differential bolts to the car, the two main ones towards the front.

EchoOfSilence
05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
yeah, i thought that link was hilarious.

I have the same problem, but I didn't really give it that much attention. I guess it's time for some collars...

s13_gearhead
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM

what a dick... rofl

s13_gearhead
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
well the s14 makes a loud thud type noise (rear end) when i quickly tap on the gas and when i let off the gas...

it sounds like, when your are at a dead stop and up put the car into first gear....you get that thud...it sounds just like that....

my lil brother wants to get rid of the car because of the noise....we've only had the car for a week!! we've only put about 20 miles on it since we got it....just in sitting in the garage and we're finishing it up.... we got an ae86 too and it doesn make that noise....

HELP!! 240sx newbie....

Dude I have to ask. Why is someone who owns an automotive performance shop posting on Zilvia asking for help? You should be helping 90% of the people here out with their shit.

exodusauto
05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Dude I have to ask. Why is someone who owns an automotive performance shop posting on Zilvia asking for help? You should be helping 90% of the people here out with their shit.

YEA YEA I KNOW.....:bash: your not the only one that has said that..i only sell parts from my home, as a side job.....hehe!!!

i know a bit about cars, done a couple of swaps for friends etc, done some suspension stuff, installing parts here and there...but just pretty new to the 240 scene....so yea....

THANKS FOR THE HELPS GUYS!!!

infinitexsound
05-23-2006, 04:42 PM
dude.......... it doesnt really matter... if u just started or not... just search...

exodusauto
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
dude.......... it doesnt really matter... if u just started or not... just search...

and search for what...(noise, axle) id be here all day searching for it...i have no idea what it could be....i didnt know that it was such a common problem...id thought it'll be much easier to post....and get helpful tips ideas from fellow tuners...but guess im taking up YOUR posting space...so next time ill just search for everything...OKAY!!

boy i feel the love in this web community already!! :(
good thing the s14 isnt mines!!

tre
05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
maybe you're jack isn't secure?

Every take a minute or two to look around and see what could possibly be doing the noise?

tre
05-23-2006, 06:40 PM
god i'm horrible with typing today

exodusauto
05-23-2006, 06:52 PM
maybe you're jack isn't secure?

Every take a minute or two to look around and see what could possibly be doing the noise?

great idea....ill do that tonight...thanks...

tre
05-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Just remember a LOUD thump could be anything. I get a loud thump when i watch my friends helmet go rolling across the car LOL

Anyways. Jack up your car. And start shaking suspension components after you check your trunk for loose things. Inspection first before post. Sometimes you dont need our help if you take a quick look ;)

tre
05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh use jackstands. Make sure your car is stable after setting it on jackstands. Give it a good shake in other words. Then shake suspension components :)

infinitexsound
05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
how about jackin up the car and place it under some jackstands and start inspecting it? thats what a real mechanic at a shop would do...

we might be dicks here but honestly i had to deal with all the same issues when i first got my car, and everyone told me to search... so i did...

tre
05-23-2006, 07:11 PM
hell you know the BEST place ever I find to go... My local nissan dealership. Hell they told me the best trick for figuring out if its your fuel pump thats gone out. Switch your EGI and EGI Pump relay. And if your fuel pump whines. Its a relay ;) God I <3 my local dealership :)

exodusauto
05-24-2006, 10:24 AM
i had to deal with all the same issues when i first got my car, and everyone told me to search... so i did...

what a shame!

Caleb
05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
your car is probably trying to drift like the factory intended.

0nfir3
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
i got the same exact problem i went out and took sum pics...
is this what you guys are talking about?

the first pic is from the left and the second is from teh right
the one on teh right seems to be missing the rubber piece - is that what i have to replace :eek3:

left side:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/668/05240610540mt.jpg

right side:
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8330/05240610561nj.jpg