PDA

View Full Version : big freakin problem!!!!

Goinsleeper
05-19-2006, 01:11 AM
i got my z32 maf and jwt pop charger from andreas yesterday, so last night i put them on. everything wired up fine and checked the ecu just to make sure it wasnt having a problem with the maf. got a 55 so everything is good. i also fixed the leakage of my greddy type rs BOV. also fixed the slight idle problem i had (i was up pretty late!). so i rev the motor a couple times from under the hood to make sure the bov isnt too tight and it blows off a bit. everything seems fine so i go to bed. i get up today and want to take a friend for a ride so i head over to his house which is like maybe a half mile away. when i first get going, theres a sound (i think from the turbo) that sounds like a super charger winding. after i give it just a little throttle the sound goes away for good but then i have NO boost. for the past week ive been running it on everything that i have on it now minus the z32 maf and pop charger and it has run very well. good pull, no bogging, everything has been perfect. now im getting 0 boost. my profec is at 90 vac at idle and when im getting on it, it goes to 0. no boost, no nothing. couple days ago i was letting my car idle, as to let the turbo wind down because i dont have a turbo timer, and after i turned the car off, i could still hear the turbo spinning for about 10-15 secs (its a gt2871r, gotta love the dual ball bearings), but now it stops almost as soon as the motor is off. i havent checked to see if ive blown a coupler or not, but even still i should run SOME boost and not 0 vac. any ideas? ive put about 40 miles on the turbo, if that. would be nice the know a $1k+ turbo has has 1 week lifespan.

CHARLIE2020
05-19-2006, 01:48 AM
90 vacumm (90 in/hg??????) somethings wrong with your gauge unless your like underground some 7,000+ feet below sea level...lol

SpeedMonkeyInc
05-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Check for leaks first. Check your oil supply to the turbo. Does it still spin easily by hand?

Goinsleeper
05-19-2006, 03:31 AM
thats what im going to check when i get up in the morning. take the intake piping off and make sure it spins like it did before i put it on.

Ugly_s14
05-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Hmmm, a similar thing happened to a friend of mine immediately after installing a recirc BOV onto his SR. Go back to the basics. Check ALL your piping clamps to make sure they are securely fastened to the intercooler. It sounds silly, but check them. Even a little bit of escaping air and you're gonna run like dogshit.

Goinsleeper
05-19-2006, 02:36 PM
i understand what you mean, but for a while i was on two cylinders with leaks all over the place and i was still at 7-9 psi. im going to go check everything right now, got to sleep in a bit!

Goinsleeper
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
found the problem, appearently something got sucked into the turbo. i have no freakin clue what it could be or how it could have gotten in there but it did. the compressor fins are FKed!. gonna email jgy and see what they can do... its always something when youre building a car, but it hasnt been ne thing this fkn huge yet! somebody kill me now.

mjjstang
05-19-2006, 04:35 PM
prolly a chipmunk, I hate those pesky things. so what happened, you can suck something in and be fine sometimes, by your anger level it sounds like its toast, so what did it break all the fins and shit and destroy,? my gt2871r seems to be giving me probs lately too, but so much shit is wrong with my car right now that I am sure when i fix everythying it will work. sucks o well. pics?

Goinsleeper
05-19-2006, 08:33 PM
the fins look like they threw some shrapnel (sp?). its got hordes of shaft play now and makes a wonderful grinding noise through the pop charger. i dont think its toast. i sent jgy an email asking if they could fix it and how much. i dont think you can realyly balance a turbo twice with the same shaft and exhaust blades so we'll see. this would be a good time to go gt35 if i feel like upping my power goals. i guess thats a way to stay positive right?

mjjstang
05-19-2006, 09:23 PM
dont you need a new CHRA with BB turbos, which are the really $$$$$$ of the BB turbos.

Goinsleeper
05-19-2006, 11:45 PM
yeah im REALLY hoping not!

Goinsleeper
05-20-2006, 03:17 AM
not super clear on how all the center cartrige works on the gt's but hopefully the shaft can be replaced with the turbine and compressor wheel and i dont have to buy the WHOLE thing.

Goinsleeper
05-20-2006, 03:20 AM
by the way, mjjstang, are you running 5 zigens? if thats your car in your sig, looks good man!

Jung918
05-20-2006, 05:14 AM
I had the pop charger on my 350z with the same sound. Alot of 350z owners have reported the same thing.

aznxplayer
05-20-2006, 01:15 PM
maybe there was something in the maf you put in, that got sucked into the turbo....sucks to hear...hope all works out well

Goinsleeper
05-20-2006, 01:33 PM
maybe there was something in the maf you put in, that got sucked into the turbo....sucks to hear...hope all works out well
i might think that but the woven mesh on both sides of the maf are still intact. still waiting on a reply from jgy, but ill let you guys know what they say, just for the hell of it.