PDA

View Full Version : '95 s14 5-spd swap w/ '96 KA

Ugly_s14
05-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Okay guys here's the deal.

I got a '96 s14, it was annihilated by a drunk driver, so I picked up a '95. My '96 had a 5spd tranny, whereas the '95 I've got now is an automatic. I'm swapping it over using the wrecked '96 as my donor car (done this swap at least half a dozen times on s13's I've owned). I was totally stoked, because I couldn't have asked for a more PERFECT donor car!

What I'm curious about is the fact that the '96 is an OBD II car, with all the extra smog bells and whistles. I've looked at the engine wiring harnesses for both the old '95 KA and the new '96 KA, and they are in fact quite different. There is an extra plug above the throttle body on the '96, and the TPS has dual-female type connector instead of the standard DoHC KA 3-wire single connector.

Obviously I'll have to use the harness that was factory installed on the '96 engine if I'm going to use that engine in a '95 body, but I am worried that I will throw codes and run with a constant CEL because of two reasons:

1) on the '96 car there was a small, two-wire connector (brown) leading to the left-hand side of the engine compartment - there was a sensor of some kind that had vaccum lines running from it. Stupidly, I did not remove this sensor from the engine bay OR bother to have a look at where those vaccum lines were running before I had the car towed away. If this harness plug isn't connected to anything and the OBDII ECU is waiting for a response from a sensor that's no longer there, what will happen?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/ispq82/s14ConnectorOBDII.jpg

And, 2) Inside the car itself, behind the passenger-side kick panel where the ECU is located, there are a ton of harness connectors present aside from the large white ECU plug. Located just behind the ECU (closer to the firewall) there's another, smaller white connector with probably 40 wires on it. Behind THAT are two smaller white plugs, one directly on top of the other. The wiring harness that I've got from the '96 has a white plug that looks like it oughta be connected to one of these, though it doesn't fit on either. Could this be a plug for the cruise control? If not, what the hell is it?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/ispq82/s13Misc.jpg

Here are some pics of what I'm confused about, I hope they help you guys to help me. Heh!

Thanks in advance for anyone who's willing to lend a hand

aznpoopy
05-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Obviously I'll have to use the harness that was factory installed on the '96 engine if I'm going to use that engine in a '95 body

no you don't! :) you are swapping the 96 engine + tranny into the 95?

use the 96 longblock
use the 95 everything else, including wiring and ECU.

i swapped a 97 ka into my 95, using the 95 manifolds, accessories, etc. hooks up fine, no headaches.

JMixedDS13M
05-19-2006, 01:52 AM
the 95 has the s13 distributor or does it have the later one where the coil is on the distributor?

Ugly_s14
05-19-2006, 03:02 AM
no you don't! :) you are swapping the 96 engine + tranny into the 95?

use the 96 longblock
use the 95 everything else, including wiring and ECU.

i swapped a 97 ka into my 95, using the 95 manifolds, accessories, etc. hooks up fine, no headaches.

Hmmm. Alright, I hadn't thought about doing that, but I guess it would be just fine if I did it that way.. haha. Okay, so, from the pictures I posted can you answer any questions as to what these plugs are and/or how important they are to the functionality of the engine? If at all possible I would like to avoid tearing the manifolds and everything else off the 95 engine (it's not difficult but DEFINITELY a pita). I was foolish in that I tore this car apart two days before I had to have it back on the road. A rush job you could say. Let me know, please, and thanks for your advice =)

And to JMixedDS13M... it has the coil built directly into the distributor, there is no outside engine bay-mounted ignition coil. Why?

projectRDM
05-19-2006, 09:38 AM
To answer the questions, the brown 2pin plug is the MAP-BARO sensor, OBD-II part.
Second pic, that's the plug that connects to the rear EVAP harness, runs along the passenger side inner rocker panel to the EVAP cansiter in the rear.

Now to answer the question, use the 95 ECU and harness. You don't need to swap manifolds at all, that's retarded. The exhaust manifold is exactly the same, the intake will have two additional vacuum ports, cap them off. Use the 95 TPS and CTS and you're done. Nothing else has to be swapped.

leftyteck
05-22-2006, 09:43 AM
To answer the questions, the brown 2pin plug is the MAP-BARO sensor, OBD-II part.
Second pic, that's the plug that connects to the rear EVAP harness, runs along the passenger side inner rocker panel to the EVAP cansiter in the rear.

Now to answer the question, use the 95 ECU and harness. You don't need to swap manifolds at all, that's retarded. The exhaust manifold is exactly the same, the intake will have two additional vacuum ports, cap them off. Use the 95 TPS and CTS and you're done. Nothing else has to be swapped.
is this true for a '98 into a '95 as well? (i will be doing one soon)

and also, any additional differences w/ the '98 into a '95?

projectRDM
05-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes, same procedure. Use the 95 ECU, harness, TPS, and CTS, and possibly the front O2. Early 5spd 95s were 1wire, later 95s and all autos as well as 96-98s use a 3wire. Cap the additional vacuum ports and drop it in.