PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys do w/o this black canister

IAM_SO_sLOw
05-16-2006, 11:15 PM
i was wondering for the people who remove the black canister...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/iam_so_slow/IMGP1975copy.jpg

what do you do w/ hard lines that go to it? cap it? or reroute it?

mjjstang
05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
i take the line out but down by the passenger side of the firewall it will need to be capped or somethin.

drifter808
05-17-2006, 12:08 AM
yeah i just got mine capped off

SochBAT
05-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but isn't that for absorbing the smell of gasoline from your car?

If not, explain.

Goinsleeper
05-17-2006, 02:00 AM
i heard that the lower was a vent for your fuel tank and capping it off is a bad idea. mine is just bent down to run with frame just below it.

projectRDM
05-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Remove the hardline all the way to the lower passenger side frame rail, but leave it open. Capping it will cause excess pressure in the tank and blow the fuel cap off.

g6civcx
05-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Remove the hardline all the way to the lower passenger side frame rail, but leave it open. Capping it will cause excess pressure in the tank and blow the fuel cap off.

+1

The black canister is your charcoal evaporative canister. It collect fumes from the gas tank and routes it to the throttle to burn off. It's an emissions device.

I suggest if yours is working properly, leave it the way it is. It'll eliminate some raw gas fumes from coming out.

If you want to take it off, follow the vacuum lines to the throttle and cap those off. Take the hose your circled and point it down so debris doesn't enter the hose. The best way would be to put a breather filter on it.

If you're anal, you can follow the line back to the firewall, or even follow the hard line back to the tank and reroute the vent hose to behind the rear bumper.

mjjstang
05-17-2006, 10:15 AM
ah actaully mine isnt capped, come to think about it, but isnt taht shit dangerous if there was a spark around the area?

g6civcx
05-17-2006, 12:52 PM
It's not too bad. I put my nose up to it and it doesn't smell that much, but probably safer to route it away from hot stuff.

drifter808
05-17-2006, 01:47 PM
i guess i'll go uncap mine today. i've had it capped for about 6-7 months and no problems though.

tre
05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
This CAN affect your emissions

IAM_SO_sLOw
05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
im runing an SR right now i dont really care about emissions... i guess ill follow the line all the way to the tank and try pointing it somewhere else... thanks guys....

would it be safe to leave it uncaped or anything pointing down under the car aroudn the frame rails?

g6civcx
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Definitely. You may not pass the visual if they don't see the EVAP canister. Won't affect your tailpipe sniff test though.

When you go to the tank, there's a one-way check valve in the line to stop fluid from coming out the line. You may want to keep this.

I would stick a breather filter on it and not have to worry about how you mount it.

chibo
05-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Can? Will. Car won't pass visual without this thing at least in the car.

drift freaq
05-17-2006, 04:24 PM
another emissions device that does not affect the performance of you car and even SR's in Japan run them. When are you guys going to learn that just pulling off all your emissions stuff is not the answer. If it does not affect performance but does clean up the enviroment your foolish for removing it and don't care much about your childrens future.

chibo
05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
but does clean up the enviroment your foolish for removing it and don't care much about your childrens future.
You're opening a can of worms.....
(I for one don't want kids, ever)

redsuns3838
05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
really? thats weird my front clip didnt come with one...guess the guy in japan pulled his off too. but then if ur running any motor without the emissions stuff that the US puts in, can u really kid yourself about that stuff?

tre
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Considering the polution mt. st. helens did. and the fact we haven't matched it yet. I"m sure it doesnt matter to much if a few charcoal canisters weren't in cars.

97 S14
05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
run a vacuume line from it into your intake pipe (after the filter, before the turbo).

IAM_SO_sLOw
05-18-2006, 04:26 AM
im only taking it out because i have some piping that is kinda in the way...

g6civcx
05-18-2006, 07:39 AM
run a vacuume line from it into your intake pipe (after the filter, before the turbo).

I'm not sure I would do this.

projectRDM
05-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure I would do this.

I sure as hell wouldn't do it. The OE setup is designed to pull the fuel vapors out and compress them through the canister's filter, breaking down the pollution. Once the car is shut off it's vented into the frame rail (the lower outlet that snaps into the rail). Hooked straight to the intake you'd not only be pressurizing the tank under boost but you're also pulling in the excess fumes from the tank during vacuum, effectively adding fuel and running the car rich.

g6civcx
05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Turbocharge the fuel before the throttle body for mad power!!!

Omarius Maximus
05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
really? thats weird my front clip didnt come with one...guess the guy in japan pulled his off too. but then if ur running any motor without the emissions stuff that the US puts in, can u really kid yourself about that stuff?

If you have an s14 clip, then the charcoal canister would be located in the back, under the trunk, opposite side of the exhaust.