PDA

View Full Version : HELP!Replaced speakers!POS/NEG wires???

RacerAV
05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I put in new sony xplod speakers (6.5") in all four corners. I dont know if i wired them correctly but they all work. Each set of wires for each speaker are different colors. I think all had one wire with a stripe, but not sure which one was POS and which was NEG. Someone please help!!!
Adamo
thanks!

jdm_s14_zenki
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
get a light to check if theres electrical current. neg=none, pos=current. if positive, light will come on, if neg, nothing.

projectRDM
05-16-2006, 10:25 PM
FSM works wonders if you have a fucking brain.

Phlip
05-16-2006, 10:43 PM
:stupid:
... and trial and error works when you lack in the brains department. "wrong" is only one way, the other way must be right. Test it befor you have committed to a point you can get back from, get it right, THEN you tape the wires, screw everything in and make it final.

finesses240
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
get a light to check if theres electrical current. neg=none, pos=current. if positive, light will come on, if neg, nothing.

Not really a good way to test speakers, they only show about 4-5v. Good way to test polarity in the rest of the car though.

Here is the easiest way to figure out any speaker wire polarity on any vehicle. Take the factory speaker out, do not cut the wires on the factory plug so short you can't strip wire. Once you have done this take a cordless drill battery and take one wire and put it on the positive side of the drill battery and take the other and put it on the negative side. The speaker will "pop", you want the speaker to pop outwards, if it pops inwards switch the wires. Now make a note of what color is on positive and which one is on negative (of the battery that is) when the speaker pops outward and this is how you determine polarity for the speaker.
Now I don't know what kinda car you have so the colors I am giving you are for a s13.
LF +/- brn/wht-Brown
RF +/- Blu/wht-Blu/yel
LR +/- Purple-Pink
RR +/- Red-Green
let me know if you need any help.

RacerAV
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
wow, and props to you for being an asshole... and not at all helpful... first, no clue what FSM means, second, if i wire them "wrong" they will still work... just the speaker will go out instead of in, or vise versa... like when the bass hits, the speaker SHOULD go out, but if its wired wrong, it will get sucked in... get it? at least thats what i am pretty sure of... anyway... thanks to those who helped.... i have a voltmeter... when i touch the wires, should the screen show a POS number, or NEG number? any help on this would be great...
Adamo

chlatboy
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
FSM= Factory Service Manual

finesses240
05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
the voltmeter will not show correct polarity. just use the technique stated earlier.

tre
05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
hell i just do trail and error. two wires. theres only two ways you can wire them up. and only one way will work lol

cgguy
05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Now I don't know what kinda car you have so the colors I am giving you are for a s13.
LF +/- brn/wht-Brown
RF +/- Blu/wht-Blu/yel
LR +/- Purple-Pink
RR +/- Red-Green
let me know if you need any help.

Yes, these colors are the same for S14. If you have A pillar tweeters the colors for those are:

RF +/- Brown - Brown/white
LF +/- Purple/white - Purple/yellow