PDA

View Full Version : Help changing alternator belt

driftz240sx
05-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I need help changing my alternator belt. I've loosened the adjuster lockbolt on the alternator, and i loosened the adjuster bolt to release tension on the belt, but the alternator will not move at all like it should.. Any solutions??

jdm_s14_zenki
05-13-2006, 03:48 PM
spray it down with some WD-40. once you take the bolts off it should slide.

driftz240sx
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
There should only be a lockbolt and the tension adjusting bolt right?? If so, both are loose but the damn alternator will not budge. Did I miss a bolt somewhere else?

jdm_s14_zenki
05-13-2006, 04:06 PM
on the back of the alternator there should be a bolt, gotta get underneath the car

driftz240sx
05-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Is the back the side facing the rear of the car?

jdm_s14_zenki
05-13-2006, 04:30 PM
the rear of the car.

driftz240sx
05-13-2006, 04:34 PM
In the FSM it doesnt say anything about loosening a bolt behind the alternator. Is the bolt on the bottom or top?

jdm_s14_zenki
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
the bottom. i took the bolts out completely. then i was able to slide the alternator into position, put the belt on, slide it back, tighten the bolts back in, then use the tensioner bolt to tighten the alternator belt.

mjjstang
05-13-2006, 07:03 PM
yah somethings messed up on my sr just like your describing, I cant get it in all the way, I have to take the Waterpump pully off and put the belt on that then pry the pully back onto the studs, that seems to work, I guess if you do take that bottom bolt off completely then it would probably help.

driftz240sx
05-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I dont see how taking the bottom bolt out would allow me to swing the alternator to the right. It should be pivoting on that bottom bolt shouldnt it?

mjjstang
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
it should be but for some reason theres somthing blocking it from pivoting all the way, maybe this will help you. anyway when i was changing it and pushing it back and forth real hard, at one point it did slide over al lthe way but instinctively I pulled it back and hten could never get it back in that position , but try that, just go back and forth really hard and see if you can giggle it all the way to the right.

jdm_s14_zenki
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
just try taking out that rear bottom bolt. take a pry bar if u have to so you can move that alternator.

projectRDM
05-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Jesus guys, are we even using our brains?

The bottom bolt is tight (or should be), securing the alternator to the lower bracket, so it won't allow the alternator to pivot unless you exert a lot of force. Loosen it a few turns and you'll have all the freeplay you need. There is no bearing or sleeve that it rides on to allow for movement.

If you remove three lug nuts and leave the fourth one on tight, will the wheel move around on the hub? Same principle.

theicecreamdan
05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Jesus guys, are we even using our brains?

This is zilvia, where it takes pages to discuss something simple like this.

mjjstang
05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
yes we are using our brains, in theory this is how its supposed to work, yes your right, but like Ive stated there seems to be something blocking the process. at least thats how mine was. Of course you should only have to loosen it so it pivots, but mine didnt pivot like it should have, so hey maybe by removing it, you can give it more room to play around and it might work.