PDA

View Full Version : I/C coupling being roasted by mani ++++

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Sup all you people! I just installed my new turbo and bottom mount manifold from Megan Racing. The only problem is that the manifold touches the coupling that is on the charge pipe coming from one of the turbo's outlet. I will post pics to help you guys better understand my problem. No one seems to have pics of this so I guess I should provide my own.
But first one more question. The hose coming off the oil cooler and going to that black box above the manifold doesnt fit right w/ the Megan mani on it. What do I do about this?

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8993/picture0358uy.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2156/picture0369zi.jpg

HyperTek
05-12-2006, 02:10 AM
your going to have to ditch the lil black box.. what I did was run a hose from the bottom of where that box hose goes , to the valve cover, then the other side of it to the box relocated somewhere, or if you wanna be mr.bad to the environment, just vent it out.

On the coupling, you could try some thermal wrap tape. I did that to some of my hoses and it worked great.

HyperTek
05-12-2006, 02:14 AM
here.. Just make sure that line i was talking about doesnt touch the manifold.. ive learned from it lol

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Cool...so, seeing how Im in Texas I will probably just vent it out. Would I need to plug the ends of where this hose went to w/ something? Or can I just leave it open?

About the Thermal wrap. Where can I find this at?

HyperTek
05-12-2006, 11:19 AM
i got mine at a local hotrod shop.. a lil pricey but worth it.
It was this stuff..
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=THE%2D14002&N=115&autoview=sku

ryan hagen
05-12-2006, 11:28 AM
i had that problem with my ka manifold, i had to take some dei heat mat, its a foil fiberglss adhesive heat shield and wrap the silicone coupler with it, i also had a problem melting my master cyl resivior so i had to make a aluminum block off plate. now i dont burn/melt any thing except tires.

Sil Beer S13
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Sup all you people! I just installed my new turbo and bottom mount manifold from Megan Racing. The only problem is that the manifold touches the coupling that is on the charge pipe coming from one of the turbo's outlet. I will post pics to help you guys better understand my problem. No one seems to have pics of this so I guess I should provide my own.

i would reclock the turbo so that it doesnt touch and get some heat shielding.

But first one more question. The hose coming off the oil cooler and going to that black box above the manifold doesnt fit right w/ the Megan mani on it. What do I do about this?

Thats not an oil cooler, its like the factory catch can. it needs to vent and will spit oil out if you dont have a container for it.

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Thats not an oil cooler, its like the factory catch can. it needs to vent and will spit oil out if you dont have a container for it.

I was talking about the other side. :)

Im going to try and find this heatwrap stuff today. As for reclocking, haha, I'll pass. Do you think I can find some at the Home Depot?

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
oh and the "venting out" Would I just leave the openings where the hoses went open? Or should I plug them?

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Sorry double-post

HyperTek
05-12-2006, 05:27 PM
that hose in my pic, goes to the front of the car leading to the ground =x

you can get a oil catch can and plumb it to that.. You can make your own *search how to make a catch can on google* or buy one. Cheap ones on ebay etc.

drift into a curb
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
re-clocking is easy. Get a pair of snap ring pliers with the heads the curve 90* and look for the c-clip that holds it in. Lube up the c-clip with some wd40 and squeeze the pliers and turn. It'll solve you're problem and make sure it doesn't melt ever again.

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Wheres the C-Pin at? I didnt see it when I was puttin in the turbo.

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I searched and found out that you have to loosen the Compressor bolts and position it from there...it'll be a hard fit to get in there, but I'll try.

drift into a curb
05-12-2006, 08:16 PM
NO. NO NO NO. If you look on the compressor side, on the inside-- OPPOSITE of the exhaust housing-- you'll see a c-clip with two little holes. ie.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/rejoint/c-joint-5.jpg
You may have to take off the manifold/turbo to get to it. The exhaust housing has bolts holding it and you could adjust that, but it's much harder and i believe it shifts everything else such as the oil feed, drain too.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4024/normalturbo200018gq.jpg

tool on bottom right or top left
http://www.bloomertool.com/images/CircleClipPliers.jpg

SR20d2fourT
05-12-2006, 08:25 PM
aaahhh, I found it. Ok, thats going to be a bitch to get at w/ some tools. haha. Well, lets see. What do you recommend more? That heatwrap or reclocking the turbo? And also, wouldnt reclocking move my charge pipe around? I wouldnt want to have problems w/ its fitment.

drift into a curb
05-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Reclocking it is recommended. The heat wrap is a bandaid. Reclocking the compressor will only move the charge pipe about 3/4 of a inch and it has enough play for that.

SR20d2fourT
05-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Cool...I put a piece of sheetmetal (rather thick) between the two. I just found out that Im leakin radiator fluid and think that it may be from the water line on the turbo, yet I tightened it down enough. Problems, problems, problems.

JustMe
05-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Reclocking is the approach that I took, I have the charge pipe of the turbo facing to the front of the car which goes into a 90* bend upwards. This created enough room to clear my megan manifold. Then again, I did it all before I put the whole thing in, haha. So, yea, not too sure how simple it will be with everything already on there. Goodluck with it though.

SR20d2fourT
05-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks man. I think I'll be needing it. haha.