PDA

View Full Version : brake drag on newly installed z32 calipers

CoasTek240
05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Ok, So i finally installed my z32 front brakes. I used GTO 5 lug hubs upfront and 25mm spacers all around. throughout the whole install i noticed the pass. front pad was dragging on the rotor. seems like things just were a lil too snug on the pass side. i went ahead and bled the whole system twice and then took her for a ride to wear in the brakes.. immediately started smoking. took her home.

i'm going to take everything off and re-examine. hopefully ill be able to figure this out.
does anyone know by chance what may have happened and what i can do to fix it?

Slidin240Wayz
05-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Are you sure your calipers and rotors match up? I once sold a pair of 30mm caliper rotors to someone in Cali and they called me back telling me he bought some calipers and one that was sold to him was a 26mm caliper.

CoasTek240
05-09-2006, 11:41 PM
you can tell buy the size of the calipers as to whether theyre 30mm or 26mm, iirc.

zads
05-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Are you sure your calipers and rotors match up? I once sold a pair of 30mm caliper rotors to someone in Cali and they called me back telling me he bought some calipers and one that was sold to him was a 26mm caliper.

You may have sold those to me :P

you can tell buy the size of the calipers as to whether theyre 30mm or 26mm, iirc.

Well, the confusing thing is that the "26mm calipers" have a 30mm rotor slot, and the "30mm calipers" have a 36mm rotor slot.

As far as the dragging brakes thing goes, definately check for the right size (26mm rotor = 30mm caliper slot; 30mm rotor = 36mm caliper slot).
Next, you probably want to tear down the calipers and check the caliper pistons to make sure they move properly. I had a set of skyline calipers and rotors on my car at one point, and the outside pistons were seized. No fun.

CoasTek240
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
ok so i checked import nut and it says they rotor channel should be 35mm for the 30mm calipers... and 30mm for the 26mm caliper.
i measured mine and they were def not 35mm. but most likely 34mm. so im figuring they are 30mm calipers.. both of them.
and upon visual inspection i see no differences whatsoever, but according to import nut, they should have a couple minor differences. and the drivers side caliper is fine. drives great. but the pass is pretty much locked.
the pistons have moved since ive installed them.
im very frustrated.
i have one concern. when i bought the calipers, the pass side one had a lil powdercoating on the inside threads of the oil inlet. i cleaned it out with a tap, and installed the ss brakeline. but i feel like i may have threaded it in too far. is this possibly whats causing it?

lastly, im going to go mess with it now, dissasemble and put all back together.
also rebleed the lines.
please any suggestions are always appreciated.

trsilvias13
05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
quick suggestion a fix for liek $50 or something. Go to autozone and use these caliper as core and buy pretty much rebuilt ones for $50

CoasTek240
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
well i figured out the problem. the rotor channel on my pass side caliper is 1/16" narrower than the same caliper on the drivers side.
i have it shimmed out with two washers where the caliper mounts to the upright. in the process of all my tom-foolery, i seemed to warp the rotor too. but it runs much nicer now.
that was my quick fix, eventually im going to order a new rotor, new pads, some ate super blue and gonna file down the inside rotor channel.
thanx for the help everyone!