PDA

View Full Version : car won't boost past 16psi - wastegate issue?

go240
05-02-2006, 06:23 PM
i have redtop with the following mods:
t3/t4 57trim .63 a/r comp, .48 a/r turbine
equal length topmount manifold
3" exhaust
tial 38mm wastegate
fmic
blitz bov
sard fpr
walbro 255lph
650cc injectors
hks 264 step 1 cams
cometic hg
arp studs
apexi power fc
greddy profecBII

the car was being tuned today but it wouldn't go over 16psi. i have a 14 psi spring in the tial. the way i ran the lines for the wg is like this:
line from compressor to boost controller solenoid. line from the solenoid to the top nipple on the wg. line from the side of the wg to the compressor (on a seperate fitting than the line to the solenoid). is this wrong?
or is there another reason they can't get it to boost more than 16psi. i guess it made 270 something at 16psi (mustang dyno)

any help is appreciated

SpeedMonkeyInc
05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Sounds right, so maybe you have you boost control solenoid in and out mixed up. Controller have its pressure source and the line is not crimped? Wastegate fittings secure?

go240
05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
yea, the controller is hooked up on one of the fittings over by the throttle body. i'm not sure about pinched lines - there's a possiblity, but i can't verify it until i pick up the car. something just doesn't seem right - it should hold boost well over 16psi with a 14 pound spring. the .48 a/r turbine is a little small, but i calculated that it should be good to the mid 20 psi's

go240
05-02-2006, 10:21 PM
what would happen if the 3rd hole (the one that's not going to the wg or compressor) on the solenoid was plugged or partially plugged? i can't remember if that little plastic cap is still in that hole or not. i would check but i don't have the car back in my posession yet

SpeedMonkeyInc
05-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Trouble shooting without a car stucks. That plastic plug should be out I think. I wonder if that bleeds off boost?

go240
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
i got the car back today, but i didn't have time to go over it. it's very fast at 272whp, 269wtq (mustang dyno) but it definately should be able to hold more boost. some people are saying that i should have the boost controller going to the fitting on the side of the wg and the top one shouldn't be connected. i may take it to a different dyno in the coming weekends to see if they have any better luck or can spot a problem in how my wg is set-up

go240
05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/mnaccord/cars/240%20build%20up/scan00201.jpg

wg opens up at like 5000rpm's and keeps the boost to 16psi until redline. hrmm

driftfactory
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
If the wastegate turns out to be ok you may also want to look at the BOV. If the spring is too weak it may be losing pressure though there. A freind of mine had that problem and it took him forever to figure out because his BOV was still blowing off like normal. I would still look at the wastegate first though.

SpeedMonkeyInc
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Here is how mine hooks up: NC to side port on the wastegate and t-eed off with the compressor pressure port ( Greddy manual says its ok ). COM port to the top port on the wastegate. NO port open to atmosphere. As far as I can tell, my Profec is working perfectly.

go240
05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Here is how mine hooks up: NC to side port on the wastegate and t-eed off with the compressor pressure port ( Greddy manual says its ok ). COM port to the top port on the wastegate. NO port open to atmosphere. As far as I can tell, my Profec is working perfectly.
ok so that's essentially exactly how mine is set-up.

as far as the bov - mine was leaking so bad the car missfired so i got a new one. (blitz) i also have the hard spring that i can install if that's the problem. i'm thinking of taking it to a different shop to get their opinion