PDA

View Full Version : Ground locations

slidesteady
05-01-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a bad ground but i dont know where its coming from but i do hear like a ticking sound coming out of my dash on the driver side once in a while. Is it near or around that general area? Where are all the grounds located a diagram would help. I have no experience with electrical work and its a bitch. Thanks for your input.

NemeGuero
05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Why would a bad ground... 'tick'?

How do you know you have a bad ground? From what circuit?

Nan Desu Ka?!
05-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Grounds dont "tick", relays do... might wanna rethink the problem. Is there anything that is flickering on and off? Or not turning on at all? We need symptoms in order to diagnose a problem.

slidesteady
05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
HUD flickers on and off...and i hear that ticking sound when that happens...also my power belts and flip-lights arent working

NemeGuero
05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Unplug fuses until the ticking and ground issue dissapears. Then, you know which wiring circuit its on.

Then get an FSM, available for download at www.zeroyon.com

Then, trace the wiring and find your bad ground with a multimeter.
Have fun.

dopeassjackson
05-02-2006, 08:48 PM
theres a ground on the back of the head to the firewall.

one from the passenger fender to the intake manifold.

theres one more i cant remember where it was

whitey240
05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
there are two grounds under your dash by the brown plug. dunno if that would be it

slidesteady
05-03-2006, 12:29 AM
i think thats where its coming from inside the dash...near what brown plug and where is that???

misnomer
05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
What you're describing isn't necesserily a bad ground. Ticks can be from relays or arching. Arching could potentially be a bad ground, or a short circuit. Check your fuses-- if your popus and power seat belts aren't working, there's a good place to start looking for the problem.

Nan Desu Ka?!
05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Unplug fuses until the ticking and ground issue dissapears. Then, you know which wiring circuit its on.

Then get an FSM, available for download at www.zeroyon.com

Then, trace the wiring and find your bad ground with a multimeter.
Have fun.
what Evan said...

First check all fuses though, since thats much less time consuming and could potentially be the cuase. If all checks out, do what is described above.

FYI my gauge cluster lights, tail lights, and driving lights all went out on me... turns out they all run on 1 fuse that blew. moral of the story, 1 fuse can cuase seemingly unrelated stuff to go out at the same time.

projectRDM
05-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Listen to what everyone else has said. There's no such thing as a 'bad ground', though I love how people who have no clue about electrical circuits use that excuse for everything.
You either have a ground or not. A clicking sound relates more to an open or shorted circuit, possibly from a blown fuse. Ground has nothing to do with it.