PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes.

OBEEWON
04-28-2006, 08:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever used Q45, Maxima, or J30 rear calipers and rotors on a 240 specifically a S14. Ive been searching but Ive never seen a rear brake upgrade besides the STI brembo's and the Z32. Any info would be great. Thanks

OB

aznpoopy
04-28-2006, 09:15 PM
q45/j30 yes
maxima yes

i don't say it often
but you really should've searched
this is very common knowledge and it comes up all the time

Dousan_PG
04-28-2006, 10:20 PM
q45/j30 yes
maxima yes

i don't say it often

for rear? its a bolt ontoo? i cant recall anyone running REAR q45..ithink it would a rad upgrade for someone not wanting z32 brakes

u talking about rear right aznpoopy?
what about ebrake lines on those 3 cars???

CHARLIE2020
04-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Both Q45 and J30 are the same and I had this upgrade on my S13 buts its more of a direct bolt on for a S14.

OBEEWON
04-29-2006, 07:52 AM
q45/j30 yes
maxima yes

i don't say it often

You are talking about the rear brakes right? I havnt found one topic about the rear on here, club240 or 240sxforums. Nor on google.

Not only have I searched but I have asked local shops and even examined all the cars mentioned. I already did the Z32 fronts but I didnt want to splice my e brake or change my whole subframe to Z32 just to get the rear Z32 calipers. My main concern is the e brake line. I just want to know if anyone has done it before I buy the calipers and things just so I know what to expect.

Thanks for the input tho much appreciated.

aznpoopy
04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
no i didn't read the question fully... gomen!
my brain is a little fried from studying so i if i give incorrect info i am very sorry... lol

edit:

i felt bad and did alot of searching on google, nico and FA. didn't find anything useful.

i also have never heard of anyone using these brakes on the rears. only the front.

you can try it if you feel like being a pioneer, but the mass of people who only did the fronts seems to indicate that it doesn't work.

projectRDM
04-29-2006, 01:15 PM
You are talking about the rear brakes right? I havnt found one topic about the rear on here, club240 or 240sxforums. Nor on google.

Not only have I searched but I have asked local shops and even examined all the cars mentioned. I already did the Z32 fronts but I didnt want to splice my e brake or change my whole subframe to Z32 just to get the rear Z32 calipers.

And therein lies the problem.

zilvia- need to search better.

club240- only if you're 8yrs old and like arguing with other children about who's dad's car is faster would you even consider surfing that forum.

240sxforums- only if you've just turned 16, still don't have a car, and are ignorant as hell about anything mechanical would you go there.

And whoever told you to use a Z32 subframe or suggested you might need to swap the entire thing, slap them.

OBEEWON
04-29-2006, 04:19 PM
And therein lies the problem.

zilvia- need to search better.

club240- only if you're 8yrs old and like arguing with other children about who's dad's car is faster would you even consider surfing that forum.

240sxforums- only if you've just turned 16, still don't have a car, and are ignorant as hell about anything mechanical would you go there.

And whoever told you to use a Z32 subframe or suggested you might need to swap the entire thing, slap them.

Well you dont have to swap the whole subframe, but to get the cleanest job without splicing or losing ebrake this is what ive found to be true.

What do you suggest? Or can you find some threads that I might have overlooked.

I do agree with you on the other forums tho. LOL

CHARLIE2020
04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Here you might find this helpful:

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=139498

sultan
04-29-2006, 05:19 PM
rear brake rotor sizes
240sx: 258x9
90-96 Q45: 292x9
Z32: 297x18
don't have a j30 fsm so i don't know that

i'd use whatever matches the front, Q45 and Z rears both use drum ebrakes so it should be the same difficulty to swap. Q45 ebrake cable is different since it's foot operated so i don't know if/how you can use it.

CHARLIE2020
04-29-2006, 05:26 PM
rear brake rotor sizes
240sx: 258x9
90-96 Q45: 292x9
Z32: 297x18
don't have a j30 fsm so i don't know that

i'd use whatever matches the front, Q45 and Z rears both use drum ebrakes so it should be the same difficulty to swap. Q45 ebrake cable is different since it's foot operated so i don't know if/how you can use it.

Q45 and J30 are the same thing all the way around and both use drum e-brakes.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=139495

CHARLIE2020
04-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Its really quite simple you just need to cut and shorten and re crimp to make any of the above rear- e-brakes work.

CHARLIE2020
04-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Heres some other helpful links:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67842096&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

EchoOfSilence
04-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Nemeguero is using Q45 fronts and rears on his S14a. the rears are drum like everyone says, so you need to mess wiht the ebrake lines

OBEEWON
05-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Well after wasting preciouse time and money I now know that maxima brakes dont bolt on...

But more importantly, to reset the calipers on the rear of the S14 do you "screw" them in or do you need a C-clamp. Please dont say C-clamp...

CHARLIE2020
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Well after wasting preciouse time and money I now know that maxima brakes dont bolt on...

But more importantly, to reset the calipers on the rear of the S14 do you "screw" them in or do you need a C-clamp. Please dont say C-clamp...

Yea the torque member bracket isn't the same distance away form teh center line of teh axle as the RWD nissans......pretty much all front brakes on all FWD nissan/infiniti can swap to eachother with the exception of the B13 Sentra/NX2000 and B14 200SX/Sentra and all RWD Nissan?Infinti are swapable.

OBEEWON
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
how do I get the piston back into the caliper? Ive been turning them with no progress?

tErbo b00st
05-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Use your muscles and push them back in.

If your not strong enough go work out.

If your still not strong enough LOOK IN THE FSM

...use a C-clamp or makeshift a device that will push it back in.

aznpoopy
05-02-2006, 05:48 PM

wrong wrong wrong

c-clamp only for the front

doing that on the rears would be a good way to screw up your rear brakes.

for rear s14 brakes you have to screw them back in. turn them clockwise.
you need to screw them in using needle nose pliers or a ratchet and a brake socket cute. they go in very slowly... so it takes a while for them to go in.

if you're turning them and they're not going in... well that would just suck... :eek3d:
oh, and make sure you don't tear the boot. that would also suck. turn it, and then set the rubber boot so it's not wrinkled or crimped. turn it a little more... etc. keep doing it. eventually the boot will stop warping as you turn it.

OBEEWON
05-02-2006, 06:50 PM

Maybe you should check the FSM-=:-/ ...

Upon further inspection I noticed my pads were worn crooked so I looked at the pistons and sure enough they were slightly ascue, making me realize the fool who changed the pads before I bought my car probably turned the pistons the wrong way till they came out and put them back in crooked. Additionally I noticed that he didnt replace all the shims and clips all which explain my spongy pedal and vibration on braking. It took two months to bleed the rear brakes too. I hate used cars and un-doing all the crap previouse owners did...