PDA

View Full Version : sr loud ticking please help!

EMC2
04-28-2006, 08:09 PM
the morning after a hard run i noticed a loud ticking not the normal sound of my injectors firing. it louder I can hear it in the car. i poked around with a stethoscope and its loudest at the front of the head. it does not get a lot faster with the rpms a little but nothing like a spun bearing (at least i dont thing and hope) could air get in the lifters that fast, could it be timing chain, is there an easer way to tell what it is? thank you for any help. oh and im useing moble 1 10/30

mjjstang
04-29-2006, 10:42 AM
im gonna say air in the lifters but idono.

WILDACEX187
04-29-2006, 11:00 AM
i've heard of injectors clicking but u said its from the front so i suggest opening the valve cover and taking a look.

EMC2
04-29-2006, 11:24 AM
ok i turned the car over for a few seconds with the valve cover off and on the intake cam second lobe i hear a tick every revolution and it sounds like my tick. so it is air in my lifter? if i change to a lighter oil will that help? or do I have to bleed them? any easy way to bleed it? thanks guys for your help!

JustMe
05-01-2006, 02:25 AM
JGY Customs has some helpful information for you (even has a picture, cant beat that with a baseball bat). Best of luck.

http://www.jgy.cc/infolinks.htm

WILDACEX187
05-01-2006, 10:02 AM
well according to that its your lifters so follow that procedure to get rid of it.

daryl337
05-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, if it is on the second lobe, its the lifters. The easiest way to bleed and re-prime the lifters are to pull them out (dont scratch them up when you do it)... and set them in a small container of oil.. preferably one that is clear so you can see it... then simply tap the bucket on the sides... or like I do... just lightly drop it from about half an inch off of the ground... you will notice the air bubbles coming out of them. I would keep doing this until you see NO MORE sign of air coming out of the lifters. Then when you install them.. make sure that you hold the lifters as vertical as possible before the installation, so that way the surface tension of the oil keeps itself from coming back out.

Edgar
05-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I was about to say lifters. Goodluck on getting your engine back to normal

Rezlo
05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
If its a VVT SR20 they are renound for the VVT solonoid going to hell and it makes a terrible noise, super fast way to check is to pop the electric connector off the VVT oil solonoid right neer your Throttle possition sensor, if the rattle goes away you have your problem, swap 1X cam gear with a Sentra or other easily available SR20 cam gear,

Another thing that loves to tick is the top cam chain guide/ usless pos, open valve cover remove 2X 12mm head bolts and turf the top guide, it isnt needed.

EMC2
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
after looking at it even more its somewere in the timing chain area and I already took off the top guide and it didnt help could it be something else in that area?

statik
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
after looking at it even more its somewere in the timing chain area and I already took off the top guide and it didnt help could it be something else in that area?

Stupid question, but have you checked your oil lately? if you are running low, the tensioner wont hold the chain tight enough causing slack in the chain which results in a similiar ticking noise.

Rezlo
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Very true, as soon as my S14 oil level goes lower than 1/2 way on the cross hatches on the dip stick i can hear it rattle a little,

One thing that works well for generaly noisy motors is a good engine flush to free any deposit build up and sludge, just make sure to get it all out before re-filling,

What i normally do is throw a can of flush into the current dirty oil, idle for 10 mins, drain, new cheapie filter and junk oil and another can of flush, run for 10 minutes drain totaly then refill with a semi synthetic for 500 miles then go back to full syn with a good filter, normally sorts out any noisy lifters and sticking rings and so on.

riznuki2
05-02-2006, 02:30 PM
does anyone know if a sr20det fwd head will work on a sr20det rwd?
i need a head fast.

s13coupedrfter
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I had this problem too. It was a bad lifter. If you ever get cams it will make the problem worse. I had the HKS 264 in/ex installed and TICK-TICK-TICK. Got rid of the problem with the HKS lash killer kit.

jdm_s14_zenki
05-02-2006, 03:33 PM
i just recently had a tick in my head. pulled off the valve cover. it ended up being that one of my rocker arms came off the valve retainer. because. my rocker arm/valve spring retainer shim (the one with the guide) broke.

If its comming from the chain, your chain is loose. Check to see if the chain tensioner is working right. also, if looking at the front of your head, the right side of the chain needs to be tight (no slack) and the top of the chain must be tight, the left side must be loose, and thats where the chain tensioner comes in. when you install the chain tensioner (you squeez the spring loaded tensioner down, use the hook to hold it in place, then you slip it in the head, bolt it down, and make 2 full crank revolutions to release the hook on the tensioner.) doing this will tighten the slack on your left side. if low on oil, your tensioner will act funny. because. your tensioner relies on the oil to get rid of any slack in your chain (kinda works like a shock absorber)